Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576470 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #360 on: 31 May , 2012, 13:55 »
Yes you both heat and add water to "wash" the oil in the separator.
Tore
« Last Edit: 31 May , 2012, 13:58 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #361 on: 31 May , 2012, 14:02 »
Yes you both heat and add water to "wash" the oil.
Tore

Water :o

I imagine fresh water? Could the water be reused for more clearing or was it only used once?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #362 on: 31 May , 2012, 14:08 »
No if you look at the coolingwatersystem there is a branch off to the separator.Don`t forget it is a centrifuge and it get rid of the water with impuritites.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #363 on: 31 May , 2012, 14:24 »
Have a look at the seacoolingwatersystem below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:36 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #364 on: 31 May , 2012, 14:48 »

Tore, what this the different between a straight-way valve and a check valve non-adjustable (A)?  (E.g. Between Port LO tank and LO pump)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #365 on: 31 May , 2012, 23:03 »
I`m not sure if I understand you correct, but a non adjustable checkvalve is a non return "footvalve" built into the pipeline with no possibility to regulate from outside. It is usually fitted at the end of a suctionline to maintain the liquidcolumn to a pump so you don`t have to prime ( get rid of the air) the line every time the pump starts. You can also have an adjustable checkvalve which means you can open it by a hand. A straigth-way valve is to me an ordinary  throughflowvalve. may I ask in which connection have you seen a " straigth-way" valve? perhaps I can give a better explaination.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #366 on: 31 May , 2012, 23:31 »
Simon
I had a look at the english translation of the german iconexplaination. I think I know what you mean. The translator used an unusual word "valve" for the german "hahne" which means cock.
The icon used is a straigth throughflow cock, which means it has a simplifed casing and a removable handle, not wheel (see picture) and the meaning of straigth is that it is either shut or opened by hand, It is used for double sealing of the pipe, the check valve shut by itshelf.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #367 on: 01 Jun , 2012, 01:14 »
Simon
I had a look at the english translation of the german iconexplaination. I think I know what you mean. The translator used an unusual word "valve" for the german "hahne" which means cock.
The icon used is a straigth throughflow cock, which means it has a simplifed casing and a removable handle, not wheel (see picture) and the meaning of straigth is that it is either shut or opened by hand, It is used for double sealing of the pipe, the check valve shut by itshelf.
Tore

Tore, if the handle was removable, would it be keep on the valve, or were they usually keep somewhere other?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #368 on: 01 Jun , 2012, 10:06 »
On essential cocks seldom used, like luboilsuction shut off you would`t keep it on but store it maybe in brackets on the bulkhead. The reason for that is you would prevent somebody to shut it accidentially. If the cocks were way under the floorplates sometimes you could use a long T piece instead of the handle. I wonder if the stripe drawn out from the icon could symbolize that, nothing mentioned about this on  the plate. Otherwise the handle was pretty much  as seen on the picture below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:37 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #369 on: 01 Jun , 2012, 19:14 »
U-boat Pumping 101 ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #370 on: 01 Jun , 2012, 19:52 »
U-boat Pumping 102

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #371 on: 01 Jun , 2012, 20:02 »
Hi Tore

Still working on the other piping, but from below you are see is starting to look good  :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #372 on: 01 Jun , 2012, 23:48 »
Simon
 As always a pleasure to look at your drawings.We should had you around when we were training our crew.  As far as I can see everything seems to be correct I shall have a closer check this week end, looking forward to seeing the rest.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #373 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 08:47 »
Dirty oil handpump system.
I realize you are not finished with the drawing, but to me it seems that the suctionline from starboard systemtank lead to a different 3 waycock than port and you have 3 cocks on top of each other in the system.
I believe it is one suctioncock (A) directly under the pump where both systemtanks suction pipes enters, out from that cock is the common suctionpipe to the handpump.
Out from the handpump is the deliverypipe going to another 3 way cock (B) situated directly underneath a  cock (C) which is not in the system. From cock B the dirty oil can either be directed to a hoseconnection or via a funnel to 2 destinations. Rigth under the funnel is a 3 way cock again (D) which have connections to the dirtyoiltank or the suction of the handpump. This makes it possible either to pump  dirty oil from either of the system tanks to the dirtyoiltank or shut the funnelconnection and open a connection to the handpumpsuctionline so you can empty the dirtyoiltank by the handpump via the hoseconnection. This seems to be a little complicated without a drawing, and it`s of course difficult see everything on an unfinished drawing.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Jun , 2012, 09:16 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #374 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 14:12 »
I have tried to fiddle with you nice drawing  in order to have an additional explaination. I`m not sure if it is of any help though.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Jun , 2012, 14:20 by tore »