Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576500 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #300 on: 24 May , 2012, 02:42 »
Thanks Maciek

Maciek, this the red arrow in post #295 the oil cooler?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #301 on: 24 May , 2012, 04:15 »
It was for sure not red, black is very probable, I would have preferred unpainted but I really don`t remember.
Tore
« Last Edit: 24 May , 2012, 07:06 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #302 on: 24 May , 2012, 05:07 »
Luboil cooler.
Its a bit hard to say it looks a bit small. I guess we have to figure the pipelineconnections. You should have seawater inlet and outlet, main luboil pipe from oilpump pipe chest to coolerinlet and main luboil pipe cooled oilpipe out to a 3 way cock and a branch off to the governor servomotor. Then a smallby pass pipe luboil out next to the inlet and return to the systemtank. That makes 5 pipeconnections directly on the coolerhousing. On your drawing I recognize two, but the placing and the tubular look certainly could illustrate the luboilcooler when the piping is upgraded.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #303 on: 24 May , 2012, 06:58 »
Tore, I just noted a charge between U-995 and the plans with the pipe under the super charger. On the plans it layout this like in red, but in real life it like in the drawing & picture. Do you think there a reason they change the layout? May be they change the layout to get around the clutch.

Also, should I have the wheel in red, or should it be unpainted?

Having a closer look at the supply/returnpipes I believe there is indeed a bend in the return pipe,but I believe it migth be only to follow the Roots blower gearcasing. I cannot see the reason for an alongship bend.the supplypipe seem to be running straigth
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:30 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #304 on: 24 May , 2012, 19:16 »
Tore, how was the floor plating supported between the two engines?

Was it supported directly to the engines (fig. 1) or was it supported by a number of legs from the top of the oil tanks and was not attach to the engine in any way (fig. 2).

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #305 on: 25 May , 2012, 00:34 »
Simon
I cannot remember for 100% sure, but if you look at the drawing of the GW engine below I have indicated the floor approximately by a green line. The crankcasedoors are marked as well. You wouldn`t fix anything permanently to the engine block (crankcase) which obstruct the crankcase access. I believe in fact that any floorsupports would not be fitted on the engine above the foundation, the floorplates had to be easy to remove. Your fig. 2 could be an alternative, but I would guess the supports would possibly go down to the foundation area and the bar alongside the engine would be in bolted sections not fixed to the engine above the foundation. This is for the GW engines and an assumption from my side.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:30 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #306 on: 25 May , 2012, 03:51 »
Hi Simon
Maciek, this the red arrow in post #295 the oil cooler?

Well, I guess so.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #307 on: 25 May , 2012, 09:21 »
Floorplating engineroom.
To follow up my theory and better than an old mans memory, I post a picture which I believe shows that there are no contacts with the floorplatings (supports) and the main engines.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:16 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #308 on: 25 May , 2012, 09:39 »
Luboilcooler.
I can confirm the that the shown item is the luboilcooler, even if the Uboat historia tells it`s a filter. However I think it would be an advantage to have a closer look at the pipings. Below I have indicated  (green) a bit simplified the seacooling waterpipes. Together with the previous posted luboilpipes (connections) it migth be possible to figure out how the hook up is. The seacoolingwater chest have 5 valves and is situated towards the fwd enginroombulkhead I believe.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #309 on: 25 May , 2012, 14:59 »
Floorplating engineroom.
To follow up my theory and better than an old mans memory, I post a picture which I believe shows that there are no contacts with the floorplatings (supports) and the main engines.
Tore

I also believe there no contacts with the floorplatings (supports) and the main engines, as if there was a slight different in frequency between the engines, the floorplatings would rattle itself to died.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #310 on: 25 May , 2012, 15:31 »
Luboilcooler.
I can confirm the that the shown item is the luboilcooler, even if the Uboat historia tells it`s a filter. However I think it would be an advantage to have a closer look at the pipings. Below I have indicated  (green) a bit simplified the seacooling waterpipes. Together with the previous posted luboilpipes (connections) it migth be possible to figure out how the hook up is. The seacoolingwater chest have 5 valves and is situated towards the fwd enginroombulkhead I believe.
Tore

Hi Tore

I feel that the seacoolingwater chest (5 valves) was location fwd enginroombulkhead and on the starborad side of the boat. I also believe this is picture below (#2)

Tore, could this be the sea water inlet valve (Below # 13 & 14)

Picture from http://www.u-historia.com/

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #311 on: 25 May , 2012, 19:00 »
Luboilcooler.
Tore

Thanks, Tore for the information.

Here the layout in real life between the Cooler and 5 valves.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #312 on: 26 May , 2012, 00:14 »
Simon
The valvechest shown is indeed the seawater chest and has branch off to stb and port luboilcooler. I am posting a brushed up version of the seawater coolingsystem.
The blue line is the suction from sea. First the conventional hull seavalve (seen on your U historia picture 13) same has an air blow connection for seaweedcleaning, then as always on the seavalves, a second valve  (sluicevalve to be shut for depthcharges) also seen on your picture, 14, and a filter. The pipes ends up at the engine attached pistonpump  fwd end of engine.
Then the colour changes to green(pressureside) passes an airvessel ( to compensate for the pistonpump pressurevariations) and continues as previously explained.
Tore
« Last Edit: 26 May , 2012, 00:17 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #313 on: 26 May , 2012, 00:20 »
Floorplating engineroom.
Tore

I also believe there no contacts with the floorplatings (supports) and the main engines, as if there was a slight different in frequency between the engines, the floorplatings would rattle itself to died.
Simon.
You have a point there.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #314 on: 26 May , 2012, 00:40 »
Thanks Tore.

What is a "Air vessel"? What does it do?

This the "CW Pump" atteched to the engine? I been looking for it all day and can not find them.

Here the layout so far  :)