Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576238 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #285 on: 20 May , 2012, 01:54 »
As a follow up on my theory on submarine canning/ indents, I`m posting a picture of a naval surfacevessel which shows how it might be in some cases on surfaceships.
Tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #286 on: 22 May , 2012, 02:43 »
You're a treasure and we hope to have for for 84 more years!

That shot of 995 was very angular, perhaps a new word is needed to be accurate: it's not really canning in that shot, but does show ribs...maybe: "ribbing"???

Something to show it's not a plastic hull.

I imagine surface ships, especially that frigate with the V, would get a a lot of wave slapping, too.

Thanks for the pix and the discussion starter!

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #287 on: 23 May , 2012, 14:55 »
Tore, did you take this picture while on KNM Kaura?  I am trying to figure out the date of the picture, as you can clearly see the colour coding on the piping :-)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #288 on: 23 May , 2012, 23:14 »
Simon
This picture is not from my time onboard I guess it is from 1970- 1972 just after the germans had (carefully) restaured the U 995  for the first time. I have been looking at my pictures and cannot se the paintings (very bad quality). As told previously we didn`t use the coding very much. My idea is that the whole design of the german sub is based on the possibility that it should be able to be handled by relatively poor trained crew compared to the the UK and US crew. We had very experienced crew recruited from our fairly large merchant marine thus we didn`t use the colourcoding, today it is used all over.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #289 on: 23 May , 2012, 23:26 »
Simon
Looking at your last post, I wasn`t sure you got my idea about the governor servomotor oilpipes OK so I post a couple of pictures marking off the pipes. Both pipes, not three, are bundled together as shown and goes aft along the roots blowercasing (fixed to that) to about middle of the housing (sorry no picture) then goes down and disappear under the floor where the return (blue) joins the main engine returnoilpipe. The luboilpressurepipe I believe goes under the floor up front to the branch off  just after the luboilcooler marked red on the systemsketch. The returnpipes are marked blue.
Tore

Tore, do you remember how the red line would run forward or have a suggestion on how it return?

Would it return just under the floor deck (green arrow) or would it be lower down like near the top of the oil ranks (blue arrow)? Any help would be grateful as I would like to add it to the drawing

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #290 on: 23 May , 2012, 23:28 »
Simon
This picture is not from my time onboard I guess it is from 1970- 1972 just after the germans had (carefully) restaured the U 995  for the first time. I have been looking at my pictures and cannot se the paintings (very bad quality). As told previously we didn`t use the coding very much. My idea is that the whole design of the german sub is based on the possibility that it should be able to be handled by relatively poor trained crew compared to the the UK and US crew. We had very experienced crew recruited from our fairly large merchant marine thus we didn`t use the colourcoding, today it is used all over.
Tore

Thanks Tore!

My idea is that the whole design of the german sub is based on the possibility that it should be able to be handled by relatively poor trained crew compared to the the UK and US crew

A very war-time thing to do I imagine.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #291 on: 23 May , 2012, 23:58 »
Simon
I discovered another detail which perhaps support my theory. On the first restaurationpicture they have fitted, what I presume is a startinginstruction plate we didn`t have such, that would have been an insult to the engineers. On later picture of the Laboe U 995 these plates are gone, souvenier hunters? I am posting two pictures showing this plea excuse the terrible quality of the photo from my time, but I didn`t any other.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:15 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #292 on: 24 May , 2012, 00:21 »
Supplypipe to governor servomotor.
I cannot for 100% sure remember where the supplypipe was placed under the deckplating. I don`t think it was fitted as your red arrow points out, that would be in conflict with the crankcasedoors, more as pointed out by the blue arrow may be  a bit higher. The return pipe (blue) connects with returnpipe from the supercharger and then the distributionvalvechest. The returnpipe from the supercharger seem to have an unusual bend (rigth were the red clutchwheel is). Your drawing is as usual a pleasure to look at
Tore
« Last Edit: 24 May , 2012, 00:23 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #293 on: 24 May , 2012, 00:57 »
I have tried to indicate the supply  (red) pipe and returnpipe (blue) on your drawing. all the blue lines merge and end up in the valvechest, which can`t be seen on this drawing.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:27 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #294 on: 24 May , 2012, 01:08 »
Sorry Simon I posted the wrong picture, it`s corrected now.
tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #295 on: 24 May , 2012, 01:45 »
Tore, is this the oil cooler (red arrow)?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #296 on: 24 May , 2012, 01:48 »
I have the feeling a further detail of the luboilsystem is probably required. I`m posting a picture of the port system where I have coulored the returnpipes blue and pressurepipes red.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:28 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #297 on: 24 May , 2012, 02:09 »
Tore, I just noted a charge between U-995 and the plans with the pipe under the super charger. On the plans it layout this like in red, but in real life it like in the drawing & picture. Do you think there a reason they change the layout? Maybe they change the layout to get around the clutch.

Also, should I have the wheel in red, or should it be unpainted?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #298 on: 24 May , 2012, 02:10 »
I have the feeling a further detail of the luboilsystem is probably required. I`m posting a picture of the port system where I have coulored the returnpipes blue and pressurepipes red.
Tore

Thanks a lot! This help me understand  :) :)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #299 on: 24 May , 2012, 02:26 »
Hi Simon
Also, should I have the wheel in red, orshould it be unpainted?

Take a look here:

It looks like it was painted with black.

--
Regards
Maciek