Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576562 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #255 on: 14 Apr , 2012, 00:59 »
Simon
Sometimes a simple sketch explains more than words and I`m posting a sketch as a follow up of my story.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #256 on: 14 Apr , 2012, 02:10 »
A small remark on the fuelpumps. The arrangement for the fuelpumps is of course for the stb engine, for the port engine the fuelpumps shall be the opposite e.g. the fuelrack positionmarks are pointing forward and the movement of the fuelracklink is opposite the stb link. The reason is that the fuelpumps are not in "mirror execution".
Tore
Simon
 I am sorry, you are quite rigth it is the port engine, I see you have connected the fuelpumps for cyl 4 and 5 which means you have bow to the rigth, I`m used to have the bow to the left, sorry for the confusion. When the governor(amplifyer) is hooked up there will be no confusion.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #257 on: 14 Apr , 2012, 06:43 »
Fuelrack
I realize the schematic sketch of the governor can be a bit confusing as the amplifyer is in mechanical connection with the governor whereas on the engine it is hydraulically connected. I `m posting a systemsketch which is more relevant to our system which migth give you a better understanding. Please forgive me for acting like a tutor, it is not my meaning at all, but I guess a draugthsman make a better drawing when understanding the working of the components.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #258 on: 15 Apr , 2012, 08:16 »
Hi
What book are these drawing from?
I can't remember - I got when I had been working on the U Bootskunde f

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #259 on: 15 Apr , 2012, 11:06 »
Simon
As usual Maciek comes up with a lot of exellent drawings which are all better than my memory. It migth be a bit complicated to incorporate all this in your drawings as long as you don`t shall have a crossection drawing of the engines, so it migth be an idea to simplify it to the external parts. On the drawing below I have indicated where the mechanical connection ( not hydraulic) from the governor comes out of the camshaftcasing and operating the slidelever which is hinged in such a way that it stabilize the piston (and fuelrack) in the new position created by the sentrifugalforces on the governor. The slide is connected to two pipes, the top pipe is returnoil to the luboilsump tank, the lower is the fresh luboil pressure from the pump forward (see drawing below) I guess both goes to the aft before they connect up to their sources. The movement of the amplifierod is then transmitting the new position to the fuelracklinkage in a simple way seen on one of your photographs. I guess you have to observe that the fuelracklinks of stb engine goes the other way and hence it would be a different linkage on the stb side.I think you can see it partly on panorama picture from Laboe, may be you have a better picture.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:13 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #260 on: 17 Apr , 2012, 14:21 »

Click picture to view in full view.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #261 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 00:13 »
Simon
Very good!
A few remarks, the link from the governor (in the camshaftcasing) is connected to a "scalearm" with a pivot seen as a screw on the servomotor pedestall, on the other side at the scalearm is a vertical thin rod operating the slide, this rod can be seen a just a little left of the servomotor (amplifier) rod going vertically down to the fuelrackleverarm. The very visible oilpipes are marked on my drawing below. There are only two pipes, supply and return. On the fwd side of the fuelracklink you have the cylinderliner lubricator driven by an arm from the fwd valverocker pushrodconnection driving the lubricator via a ratchetconnection. The pipes from lubricator are two per cylinder. The fuelracklink is connected to the fuelhandle on the maneuvring stand, I don`t think you should have any oval slots in that link as you want a precise movement and no slack. I cannot remember the excact linkage but may be you have a picture to share. 
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #262 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 00:57 »
Simon
I realize i should probably elaborate a little more on the lubricator. They are small plungers (12 per lubricator) pumping droplets to be seen through the front sigthglass so you can ascertain  each cylinder is lubricated. I have added a few details on the drawning below hopefully to make it clearer.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #263 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 04:03 »
The fuelracklink is connected to the fuelhandle on the maneuvring stand, I don`t think you should have any oval slots in that link as you want a precise movement and no slack. I cannot remember the excact linkage but may be you have a picture to share. 

Hi Tore

I only have one very poor picture of this area. I thought it was not correct to have an oval slot. But if you look at the picture below, just to the left of the connected, there look like a very small oval slots. What do you think?

« Last Edit: 18 Apr , 2012, 04:23 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #264 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 04:11 »
Simon
Very good!
A few remarks, the link from the governor (in the camshaftcasing) is connected to a "scalearm" with a pivot seen as a screw on the servomotor pedestall, on the other side at the scalearm is a vertical thin rod operating the slide, this rod can be seen a just a little left of the servomotor (amplifier) rod going vertically down to the fuelrackleverarm. The very visible oilpipes are marked on my drawing below. There are only two pipes, supply and return. On the fwd side of the fuelracklink you have the cylinderliner lubricator driven by an arm from the fwd valverocker pushrodconnection driving the lubricator via a ratchetconnection. The pipes from lubricator are two per cylinder. The fuelracklink is connected to the fuelhandle on the maneuvring stand, I don`t think you should have any oval slots in that link as you want a precise movement and no slack. I cannot remember the excact linkage but may be you have a picture to share. 
Tore

Thanks for the feedback  :) :)

I forgot about the slide rod to the fuel rack lever arm, I will add this in a few days.

I have drawn all the other detail you talked about above but they are on different layers of the drawing. That is why they are not display in this drawing. I will combare the layers and post pictures soon.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr , 2012, 04:23 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #265 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 04:23 »
Tore, today I was updating these two piping on my drawing. Are they oil return pipes?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #266 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 06:00 »
The fuelracklink is connected to the fuelhandle on the maneuvring stand, I don`t think you should have any oval slots in that link as you want a precise movement and no slack. I cannot remember the excact linkage but may be you have a picture to share. 

Hi Tore

I only have one very poor picture of this area. I thought it was not correct to have an oval slot. But if you look at the picture below, just to the left of the connected, there look like a very small oval slots. What do you think?

We see only the part of the fuellinkage belonging to fuelpump no 1.so the oval slot belongs to the no1 fuelpumplink and is OK there are further linkages going down to the linkagesupport and a link disappearing towards the center of the enginefront connecting to the fuelhandle with some interlocks etc which is not visible and very complicated to incorporate. My advice is to show the lingkage as drawn, but add the pedestallinkage as you migth be able to figure out looking at my two drawings below
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #267 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 06:24 »
Tore, today I was updating these two piping on my drawing. Are they oil return pipes?

Simon
No, the visible part of the luboil pipes to and from fuelrod servomotor is going down and aft, then I guess the supply pipe is coming from the luboil linebranch just after  the oilcooler up front and is fitted under the floorplates and the return pipe goes to the valvechest under the floor where is is distributed to lubil tanks stb and port. As far as I can see the pipe you are pointing out is cylindercover coolingwater pipes.
Tore
« Last Edit: 18 Apr , 2012, 07:32 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #268 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 09:11 »
Simon
The lubricator ratchetlever is fitted with holes for capacityadjustment, see picture below.The starting- and fuelhandles are marked as well.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #269 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 09:31 »
As a follow up of the lubricator I`m posting a cross section drawing explaining the working.
Tore
« Last Edit: 18 Apr , 2012, 10:16 by tore »