Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576222 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #120 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 02:32 »
Hi Tore

original compasshousing changed with a newer version

That's interesting - I have always thought that U-995 (and KNM Kaura later) was equiped with this newer version compass housing (specific for the late versions of the type VIIC/41):

(U-1023)

(U-1305)

It is significantly smaller than housing in the earlier versions of the type VIIC. I guess, it is because in the late VIIC/41 some parts of the salvage/emergency blowing installations which were also in this housing were removed.

I have been also wondering, how the magnetic compass (and the light transmission system to the control room) looked like.

Tore, one more question - I know, that apart from the depth gauges in the control room, there were two gauges in the forward and aft torpedo room each. On U-995 in Laboe I have never seen these. Do you remember, where they were located?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Maciek & Tore, here is a list I started on the changes for U-995 a few years back. It is in way finish!

Upper Wintergarten Platform

• The original double ready-use ammunition containers for the 2 cm guns on the Upper Wintergarten Platform, replace with a single container by the Royal Norwegian Navy.
  • Original bridge shelf is absent sometime after 1970

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #121 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 04:53 »
Maciek
KNM Kaura VIIC/41 (U-995) had the old compass version. KNM Kya ( U926) and KNM Kinn (U1202) both VIIC had the new version.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #122 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 05:03 »
Maciek
Depth gauges.
You are rigth there were depthgauges, but I cannot rembember excatly were they were located. I think one was located to the port side in the engineroom next to the manoeuvering place fwd engines, but I am not sure. It was important to know the depth particulary while snorting.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #123 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 05:34 »
Simon.
On KNM Kaura (U995), KNM Kya (U926) and KNM Kinn (U1202) they removed the wintergarten completely before they were put into norwegian service 1951-1952 and made a new different one as can be seen below. The structure was completely welded, no hatches or doors, the railing protruding about 30 cm out from the topfloor widening the circumference of the floor by having 3 floorbars. The structure tapered considerably down to the casingdeck as can be seen on the photo.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Feb , 2012, 05:36 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #124 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 06:18 »
Simon
Your list on changes of U995 further to my post on wintergarten.
We didn`t have the balkongerat originally, it must have been introduced sometime after 1959. We had only two pressure containers for storage on casingdeck, not 4 , KNM Kya (U 926) had 3 and KNM Kinn (U 1202) had 4. KNM Kaura ( U 995)  had as known the snortmast lockingpin in a case outside the conningtower on KNM Kya (U 926) inside the conningtower below the spraydeflector and on KNM Kinn (U 1202) the same I believe. Otherwise I agree to your list.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #125 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 08:44 »
Simon
Snortmast lockingpin.
You are mentioning 2 versions:        1. Through  spraydeflector and along outside the conningtower to the deck.
                                                          2.  Through spraydeflector and then shielded by a half round pipe to deck KNM Kaura (U995) version.
There is indeed a 3rd version, through the spraydeflector and then inside the conningtowercasing to the deck. The KNM Kya ( U926) and Kinn (U 1202) had both this version. See picture below of KNM Kya.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #126 on: 15 Feb , 2012, 12:32 »
Simon
Snortmast lockingpin.
You are mentioning 2 versions:        1. Through  spraydeflector and along outside the conningtower to the deck.
                                                          2.  Through spraydeflector and then shielded by a half round pipe to deck KNM Kaura (U995) version.
There is indeed a 3rd version, through the spraydeflector and then inside the conningtowercasing to the deck. The KNM Kya ( U926) and Kinn (U 1202) had both this version. See picture below of KNM Kya.
Tore

Cool! Thank you! I have not seen that style before. I will update my article.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #127 on: 17 Feb , 2012, 00:27 »
KNM Kaura (U 995) Upper wintergarten modification. Further to my post on feb.15th. You list of changes done to U 995. I don`t remember any ammunitioncontainer on the norwegian version of the wintergarten. We never had any guns there. As I said it was a completly new construction.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #128 on: 17 Feb , 2012, 06:12 »
Simon
Snortmast lockingpin.
Just a correction to my previous post. U 1202 KNM Kinn did not have alt. 4 but alt. 2.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #129 on: 18 Feb , 2012, 14:13 »
Tore, do you have any close-up or clear pictures of the wooden deck? I am trying to workout the size of the wooden boards and the spacings.

Thanks, Simon.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #130 on: 18 Feb , 2012, 15:12 »
Tore, do you have any close-up or clear pictures of the wooden deck? I am trying to workout the size of the wooden boards and the spacings.

Thanks, Simon.
Simon
The only photo I have would be the below. The references could be the forward pressurecontainer which is placed at the same frame as the original or may be the original hatch in the foreground.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #131 on: 19 Feb , 2012, 05:00 »
Simon
The below picture migth give you some more info.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:03 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #132 on: 19 Feb , 2012, 05:15 »
Simon
As a follow up on my two pictures. Many modellers have shown great innovation in the colours of the wooden deck, although it was made of pine it had a fairly even dark grey almost black colour and you couldn`t see any shiny filister heads neither any salty deposit or barnacles even after 27 days submerged. To all those weatheringenthusiasts, if you want to give a correct impression of a VIIC behave at least to the colour of the wooden deck.
Tore
« Last Edit: 19 Feb , 2012, 07:18 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #133 on: 19 Feb , 2012, 11:49 »
 Thank, Tore! Both pictures were very useful. I also look at other pictures of the Type VIIC's late-war deck style. And I found something common with then...they are all different  ;D

• The widths of the wooden boards are many.
  • The spacing between the wooden boards is much the same.
  • The workmanship with the decking also was very variable, some were very nice and very good, while others looked like it was build in a rush.

Below this the colour I have gone for. It

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #134 on: 19 Feb , 2012, 11:55 »
 Tore, can you remember how the wooden deck was fix? Could you see the metal bolts or were there small wooden plugs reset within the bolt holes?