Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 591030 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4380 on: 14 Oct , 2020, 00:36 »
Simon. Congratulation!  Amazing piece of research and drawings, whishing we had similar drawings for instructions in my time.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4381 on: 15 Oct , 2020, 00:50 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I agree, Simon is a very talented young man who has researched and produced outstanding U-Boat drawings which will prove to be very accurate. I believe our teamwork with past and present members of "Tores Mailbox" has contributed to the knowledge base of the Type VII C U-Boat and we all can take pride in our work.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4382 on: 20 Oct , 2020, 14:04 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Simon,

I believe that I have just completed the Addendum Booklet to Skizzenbuch and I don't foresee any additional updates. Would you please review the booklet and especially check-out page 47 which is the latest entry and let me know what you all think?

I believe we have completed the Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project...

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4383 on: 12 Nov , 2020, 14:12 »
hi Don. I just PMed you.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4384 on: 12 Nov , 2020, 17:29 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Raymic1 (Mike),

The content (Text and images insert) on page 199 were a contribution from Mr. Tore... Mr. Tore, if you still have the photos of the hydroplane motor and clutch mechanism or any additional photos, then could you please post them here for Mike?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4385 on: 15 Nov , 2020, 12:01 »
Mr Tore.
Would you have the original high resolution pictures of the Aft Hydroplane motor and clutch area that you could share?.
Mine from the Skizzenbuch are not very clear.
Thanks
Raymic Mike

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4386 on: 15 Nov , 2020, 23:02 »
Hello Mike,

I found the one image that I used to create the composition on page 199. I do not know if it is of any help...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4387 on: 15 Nov , 2020, 23:53 »
Hi Mike!
 I have looked into my files (which is not very impressive) and did`t find any better image than Dons. Sorry I wasn`t very organized at the time of  publishing the image and in the meantime quite a few images disappeared.
Tore

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4388 on: 16 Nov , 2020, 00:00 »
Thank you Don and Tore.
I have searched everywere on the net for these particular images with no luck. I wonder where they originated?
But Don your originals are more than good enough. I can see the extra detail that is lacking in the PDF .
Thanks again
Mike

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4389 on: 22 Nov , 2020, 00:13 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I guess I was asleep in class, or my old age has set in... What is the function of these hand-wheels???

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 22 Nov , 2020, 00:21 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4390 on: 22 Nov , 2020, 09:06 »
Don.
Your image shows the shut off valve in the air pipe to the starting airvalve in the cylindercover. As you remember by opening the main startingair supply you are at the same time opening for the airsupply to the top of the starting valve where a piston the is actuating the push rod engaging the roller to the camshaft, which then opens and shut the startingvalve at proper timed intervals. I guess in the official diagram they have forgotten this valve. By shutting the air valve, the pushrod roller is not engaging the roller to the camshaft and the startingair valve for the relevant cylinder is not operating.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4391 on: 23 Nov , 2020, 15:22 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Looking at the starting valve is the lower half in the starting valve an injector? It looks like the roller rides on a high spot on the cam, then the nozzle in the lower section of the starting valve opens.

The starting air cam roller that activates the push rod and rocker arm to inject starting air to all six cylinders. However, only one of the starting air valves at the cylinder head is open and drives the piston downward.

Am I close to correct:
1. Is there a 3rd valve in each cylinder head that is only activated (opened) while running on starting air?
2. When the 3rd valve for each cylinder is opened, starting air enters the cylinder chamber and drives the piston downward?
3. When the starting valve is not under starting air pressure, then all of the 3rd valves in the cylinder head are shut?
4. I assume the reason for the 3rd valve is to stop combustion gases from feeding back into the starting air system?

As you can see, I get lost sometime and have to find my way back... Do you have a engine drawing that shows the starting valve and the air lines to/from it, and a cross section of the starting air valve in the cylinder head?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 23 Nov , 2020, 23:31 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4392 on: 24 Nov , 2020, 03:18 »
Don, you are entering into a complicated system consisting of hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical elements with a lot of interlocks if you want to include the direct reversible system of the GW dieselengine, as you know the complicated direct reversible system was omitted as from 1943 on the GW engines. On the U 995 engines you `ll find only rudiments from of the direct reversible system. As to the starting system it works as follows, each cyindercover has a separate starting valve timed and operating from a modified camshaft by rollers,cams and pusrods. The starting valve looks like on my image below and consist of a common housing with a long valvespindle having a valve in the lower end, the chamber in the valvehousing has a direct connection to the startig air supply, the valvespindle goes through the startingairspindle chamber via the lower airtight springcarrier/ guide and a shutting spring up to the upper spring carrier. The upper valvespindle ends in an adjustable connection engaged to a springloaded lever connected to a valve rod ending in a roller arm. The startingvalve rocker system is kept free from the camshaft by a spring on the valve lever keeping the rollers away from the camshaft In the starting procedure starting air is admitted to the top piston of the startingvalve spindle, forcing the startingvalverod down agains the springload and engaging the roller to the camshaft, which operate the starting valve mecanically. When the starting sequence is over, air pressure on the valve spindle toppiston is vented and the starting valve spring lever is pulling the system free from the camshaft.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4393 on: 24 Nov , 2020, 04:34 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Let me start to learn how the Starting Air System works on a step-by-step basis with a few basic questions each time.

Starting Air Distribution

1. Is there only one (1) Starting Air Valve on the Diesel Engine?   yes/no
2. When starting air is supplied to the Starting air valve at the top, then the roller will engage the cam?  yes/no
3. When starting air is supplied to the center section of the starting air valve, then starting air is supplied to all six (6) of the Cylinder head's starting air valve chambers?  yes/no

Let's get an answer to these three (3) basic questions...

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4394 on: 24 Nov , 2020, 05:15 »
Don.
1. No.There is one starting air valve pr. cylinder e.g. 6 startingvalves for a 6 cylinder engine.
2. Yes
3. Yes, but starting air in the chamber to the cylinder is only admittet through the relevant starting valve being opened by the pushrod of the relevant cylinder.

Tore