Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 590916 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4335 on: 05 Jul , 2020, 14:47 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The last photo posted has a description as "Floodgates fairing VIIC u421ausecondplantoulon.jpg"

aus = aus / Form
econd = second
plan = plan
toulon = ???

Does the title mean "Flood Gates Fairing VIIC" and "U-421 second plan" and the photo is from "Toulon, France"?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 05 Jul , 2020, 14:53 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4336 on: 06 Jul , 2020, 00:13 »
Don. I guess the images are from a french contributor to a uboat thread and showing U-421 damaged in the drydock in Toulon, France.

Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4337 on: 15 Jul , 2020, 11:15 »
We previously discussed the colour markings of the pipings as used originally. Unfortunately the frequent painting of the engineroom was carried out ad lib and eventually all the orginal paintings disappeard. As previously told we didn`t use this system, but I have an image of the engines of KNM Kaura ex. U 995 in my time showing the marking of the fuel pipes as fitted up front of the main engines. An interesting detail is the valve rocker rods, today painted blue, are on this image still not painted and hence shiny steel.
Tore

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4338 on: 15 Jul , 2020, 11:31 »
Tore - Thank you for the info. Would make sense that marking would be near either end of their run.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4339 on: 16 Jul , 2020, 00:24 »
Katuna, further to my post yesterday, here is another image of the colourmarking up front of the main engines, showing the fuel and and lubeoil pipes markings
Tore

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4340 on: 16 Jul , 2020, 07:52 »
Thanks again. I've been trying to find photos from back during the war but they are very hard to come by.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4341 on: 20 Jul , 2020, 05:51 »
« Last Edit: 20 Jul , 2020, 05:56 by Raymic1 »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4342 on: 20 Jul , 2020, 07:19 »
Raymic1,  I never saw the movie and I guess it was shot a few years after my time. The CO (ltn.commander) in the movie graduated a year before me at the naval academy and later became the CO of KNM Kaura when she served as a training sub when our main submarine base moved to Bergen in 1954. Very interesting to see a colour movie of KNM Kaura ex U 995 from this time. As to the scene in the engineroom you`ll see the correct colour of the paintings of the dieselengines. Some of the engineers participating were serving as my engineers in my time. PS. we never were dressed in uniform and white shirt as the officers in the movie, I guess it`s done for the moviemakers. We usually dressed in uniform when we had journalists making a submarine story onboard, like the image below, where I make some target distance calculations based on the COs report from the navigation periscope. This was just a show for the paperpeople. Thank you for sharing the movie.
Tore

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4343 on: 20 Jul , 2020, 17:03 »
What a great find on the film. In color no less. I was really happy to see the engine color I chose is almost spot on. I think it's Tamiya IJN grey, A little greenish grey. Great to see the girl in action.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4344 on: 29 Aug , 2020, 01:44 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have uploaded the latest version of the Addendum Booklet P.pdf into dropbox and you still have the permissions to download the file. If you have some time would you please review what I have created. It's 43 pages of text and mostly photos... I highly value your input...

FYI - I had another heart problem for about a week before it went away. My doctor did a PET (Nuclear) stress test and they don't see any reason for the chest pain. He changed my meds to lower my blood pressure and said if it happens again I may need to go to the hospital and have another heart catheterization done (they inject a shell fish die into your heart arteries to check for blockages and take images)...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 29 Aug , 2020, 01:47 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4345 on: 29 Aug , 2020, 02:08 »
Hi Don.
Sorry to hear about your health issue, a youngster like you should`t experience the trouble. As for me I`m going on 92 and am currently on my summerfarm in the deep forrest with very limited access to internet. Apart from my hearing being destroyed by the engines of the old U 995 and a minor stroke, I am doing OK for my age I guess. I shall revert to your request as soon as I am back to the civilization. Keep on going, you have still to accomplish your mission.

Tore
« Last Edit: 29 Aug , 2020, 02:09 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4346 on: 04 Sep , 2020, 01:44 »
Don,
 I have read your last additional pages of your Skizzenbook and have following remarks as to my remarks: Page 24 plan 13 seacoolingwater somehow a misunderstanding occur in the description of the seacooling crossover pipe. The main seawater intakevalves are not air activated, the airsupply indicated on plan 13 is for the seaweed blowing, to clean the intake for seaweed, the seawater intake valve is a manual operated valve.
Page page 27, galvanic sacrificing anodes. On the image of the anodes of U 995 they are painted, the anodes should never be painted as they are sacrificing elements.
Otherwise the pages concerning my remarks seems to be OK.

Tore

« Last Edit: 04 Sep , 2020, 01:49 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4347 on: 06 Sep , 2020, 20:08 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I corrected page 24 and page 27 accordingly... I had to rebuild the Addendum Booklet folder in my Dropbox account and I would like you to check it out. The correction and to see that you have full access to the rebuilt folder... I think I got all the permissions correct??? I tested a Dropbox Business option (15 day free trial) and that changed the permissions and was almost a disaster when I went back to the standard free Dropbox account option.... I'll never do that again!

Regards,
Don_

Questions:
1. Can the inlet valve be cleared with compressed air before the inlet valve is opened?
2. Is there ever a need to clear the inlet valve when running on the surface?
3  Is there a pressure gauge on the engine control panel monitoring the inlet water pressure?
4. Where were the sea water inlet valve and compressed air blowing valve hand-wheels located?
« Last Edit: 06 Sep , 2020, 20:39 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4348 on: 07 Sep , 2020, 01:02 »
Don.  1. You blow to clean the intake for the seawater valve prior to it is opened as you don`t want to blow air into the coolingwatersystem.
         2. It is always a need to clear the inlet by air running on the surface, particulary at present days plasticpollution. I have experienced a full
             shut down on a passengercruiser due to a floating plastic sheet blocking the coolingwater intake.
         3. Apart from the general LP manometer there is no local manometer for the LP seaweed cleaning.
         4. The seawater inlet and grating with LP connection (called the inletchest) is located in the pressure hull  between the sea and the
             valve. The LP air pipe and valve is of a relative small dimension.

Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4349 on: 07 Sep , 2020, 02:50 »
Don, below are some images of the seaweed blowing. N0 1 the grating in the pressurehull and the sea boardvalve with Lp blowing system as fitted in the engineroom of the museums U995.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Sep , 2020, 03:08 by tore »