Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 595539 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4305 on: 11 Jun , 2020, 23:28 »
Raymic 1
Thanks for your post and a good idea. Quite a few of my images can be found in Dons Skizzenbuch however a few of my earliest are missing.  As they are one of a time images published for my posts only, they dissappeared when they were posted. I`ll go through my files as from my earliest posts and see if I can relocate same and publish some at irregular intervals. I regret I didn`t make a proper imagefile from the very beginning.
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Jun , 2020, 23:33 by tore »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4306 on: 13 Jun , 2020, 20:15 »
Does anyone know if there is a color version of the pipe identification code plate?

The color version is in Darkstars new post book. Skizzenbuch fur das Maschinenpersonal..............................................................

Click on the Imgur link and download 97 pages!!!!!!!!! Thanks Darkstar
« Last Edit: 13 Jun , 2020, 20:22 by Raymic1 »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4307 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 00:37 »
Mike.
Exellent find! I guess some of the modelbuilders are able to put some colours to the interiors now provided they know the systems.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4308 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 02:09 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Mike,

Do you have access to the entire Mechanical book? It would be nice to compare it to the U-570 Mechanical book on Jerry Mason's website...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4309 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 03:49 »
Darkstars post didnt explain very well below but f you click on the link in Darkstar130  post below it opens in the app Imgur or Chrome.
I then copy and pasted 90 plus pages one at a time. Here's his link here

https://imgur.com/a/bZAqp5v

Im not sure if I can load the 90 plus pages in one go.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun , 2020, 03:54 by Raymic1 »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4310 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 15:48 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Mike,

Thank you for the link to the mechanical book... I have cleaned up the piping color coded chart and translated. See the two (2) attached images...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4311 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 17:06 »
Thanks Don. I tried to google translate and it didn't work very well.

Have you seen this book before? It looks like an original WW2 document. And it would seem that quite a few of its pages have been replicated over other documents over the years.
I'm not sure where Darkstar130 got it from

Lots of info in there.
Is there any other stuff on the 90 pages that is useful for your Skizzenbuch?

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4312 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 21:02 »
Hollo Mr. Tore and Mike,

Yes, this looks like a image copy of an original Mechanical book using a modern color copy machine. The copy of the U-570 Mechanical book used a mono-copy machine back in the days.  However, Capt. Jerry Mason cleaned up the U-570 mechanical drawings and that is what was used in Skizzenbuch. The Plan 3 color code page was not clear (black/white/shades of grey) so we had no idea as to the actual color of the coded pipes. Maciej Florek was going to work on the piping color coding, but fate ended that project.

I will add the color Plan 3 to the Skizzenbuch Addendum Booklet that I plan on releasing late this year...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 14 Jun , 2020, 21:05 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4313 on: 14 Jun , 2020, 23:15 »
Don.
 I guess it is an asset to the Skizzenbuch, I wish we would have these plates in my days onboard, we had to learn it the hard way, crawling and making our own sketches in addition to the poor quality sketches available.

Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4314 on: 15 Jun , 2020, 02:34 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Didn't U-995 have the original factory mechanical and electrical books onboard? They were supposed to accompany each U-Boat when they were commissioned. Did the crews dump those books along with the enigma machine and code books before surrendering the U-Boats? Apparently, the British got all that documentation and the enigma machine when they captured U-570...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 15 Jun , 2020, 02:37 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4315 on: 15 Jun , 2020, 04:41 »
Don.
As a part of the german surrender agreement the majority of the operational german submarine fleet, about 100 submarines of all types, came to surrender in Norway. Those which were seaworty were later ordered to sail to Scotland as a part of the surrender agreement to be destroyed. This operation was called Operation Deadlight and agreed between the USA, Russian and British forces during the Jalta conference and later the Potsdam conference just at the end of the WW2. The german submarines were ordered to sail to Scotland with their original crew, flying a black flag. Those few submarines being not seaworty remained in the fjords and most of the documents disappeared. The norwegian navy eventually was able to produce som manuals in the norwegian language, in my time we had to make our own notes waiting for complete manuals.

Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Jun , 2020, 14:20 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4316 on: 15 Jun , 2020, 13:30 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

When you got your submarine training in the UK; was it in English or the Norwegian language? I would assume it was in English. You seem to have some knowledge of the German language since you have provided some greater depth of understanding of the German schematics. When did you pick up the German? I would think that the original German mechanical and electrical documents would have been a great help when you was the onboard EO...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4317 on: 15 Jun , 2020, 14:17 »
Don.
My submarine training at HMS Dolphin, Gosport, Portsmouth was of course in English, but I grew up in a German occupied country were our normal english education was substituted by German. I guess, for me, some of the German language sometime is easier when it comes to submarine techniques and dieselengines in spite of having done my training in UK. I didn`t have any problem with the German documents on board the U 995.

Tore

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4318 on: 16 Jun , 2020, 08:28 »
Don - Thanks for cleaning up the color index. Just downloaded all of the pages that were posted by Darkstar. Those will be a huge help whenever I can get back on my build.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4319 on: 17 Jun , 2020, 01:55 »
Hello Katuna,

Jerry Mason's website www.uboatarchive.net has Plan 5: General Arrangements (Two U-Boat Drawings) which were missing on the colorized prints website (Just Grey Schematics) and now you will have a complete set.

See the Attachments...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 17 Jun , 2020, 02:02 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD