Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 597773 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4215 on: 22 Dec , 2019, 02:29 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I noticed that the Selector Valves for air distribution in the Diesel engine room were both painted red on U-995, even though they look to be on the port and starboard side. Is red the original color for both valves? ???

Regards,
Don_
Don. On the museums U 995 they have not tried to conserve the original colours and it is hard to see the system of colours ( if any). Do not use the red painted valves, cocks, grease cups, gauges etc. as a reference. They have evidently left it to the painter to chose the colour he prefers, to me it looks more like an amusement park than the interior of a WW2 VIIC.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4216 on: 22 Dec , 2019, 03:39 »
To all the VIIC entusiasts!
Tore

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4217 on: 23 Dec , 2019, 11:32 »
Thank you Tore! Much appreciated. Best Christmas wishes to you too and a thousand THANKS for your incredible contribution to the Forum. Something that has become more and more Mythologic over the years.
Merry Christmas!

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #4218 on: 23 Dec , 2019, 23:04 »

Merry Christmas to all also from me ... Santa Claus brought me the best gift you can receive: a new love .... after a long time, the smile returned to my lips, the warmth in my heart ... who knows that the desire to approach modeling will not come back to me again ...
Best wishes to all

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #4219 on: 23 Dec , 2019, 23:05 »

Merry Christmas to all also from me ... Santa Claus brought me the best gift you can receive: a new love .... after a long time, the smile returned to my lips, the warmth in my heart ... who knows that the desire to approach modeling will not come back to me again ...
Best wishes to all !!!!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4220 on: 24 Dec , 2019, 03:48 »
Hello all,

Merry Christmas to all. Hope you get time at the modelling table over the festive break.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4221 on: 26 Dec , 2019, 08:04 »

I'm a bit late but I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and here's to a happy and prosperous New Year.

Filippo, that is wonderful news. Love is the best gift of all.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4222 on: 02 Jan , 2020, 01:38 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I was reviewing some of the photos that I have collected over the years. Does this photo taken below deck look to be the Knife Oil Filter (page 153) that was added after the Oil Purifier was removed?

<see attached image>

Regards,
Don_

PS - It looks like there have been 400 downloads of Skizzenbuch from the Subcommittee.com website.

Personally - I had a heart attack Christmas Eve and spent 4 days in the hospital and they installed a stent in my right artery. Later, they may do Robotic Surgery and bypass a couple partial blockages in my left artery. My heart plumbing is beginning to look more like a U-Boat lube oil diagram!
« Last Edit: 02 Jan , 2020, 01:51 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4223 on: 02 Jan , 2020, 02:46 »
Don, sorry to hear about your heart issue, If your heartplumbing looks like a plate 13 coolingwatersystem don`t forget there is an anti corrosion connection to be used regulary to prevent further damage.
As to your posted image I guess you are showing a gatevalve (sluicevalve). As can be seen on my image below there are 5 gatevalves in the coolingwater crossoverpipe and I guess your image shows one of the 3 centervalves. Gatevalves are free flood valves and used in places where you want as little resistance as possible, however the valve housing needs a lot of space and might resemble a filtercasing.
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4224 on: 02 Jan , 2020, 03:01 »
Don, Both lubeoilfilters are pretty close and before the coolers as can be seen on my (Simons ) image below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Jan , 2020, 03:12 by tore »

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4225 on: 02 Jan , 2020, 08:02 »
Jeez Don, hope you're doing ok. What a great Christmas gift. Glad you have a sense of humor about it. Congrats on the book too.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4226 on: 03 Jan , 2020, 11:52 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Reviewing Simon's piping drawing:
1.  It looks like the 2 lube oil filters near the oil coolers are the strainer type filters which have always been in place.
2.  The six (6) valves a, a1, and b on the valve chest look to be clustered in the center of the drawing.
3.  What is the device at 8 o'clock (lower strainer) and 10 o'clock (upper strainer)?
4.  The port and starboard water supply valves don't look to be air activated weed clearing?

<image attached>

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2020, 12:00 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4227 on: 03 Jan , 2020, 13:49 »

Don, I am sorry in a hurry I posted the normal Plate 14 luboilsystem which shows the old execution with the luboil strainer. I don`t have any scheme showing the new luboilfilters in place but assume we once figured out they would be placed as indicated on Simons image. I am not 100% sure that Simons image is his final and I should have mentioned that as well. I don`t think you should use same in your Skizzenbuch. The weedblowing system is indicated on the well known plate 13 coolingwater crossover pipe intakes, but the pasting on the port side was not complete and hence omitted. In fact I guess i should not have posted the lubeoil system as my answere was on the image of the gatevalves in the crossover sea coolingwater pipe.
Sorry by the confusion I created, you cannot use the plate 13 to show the later version of the systems. Evidently sometimes things goes to fast for a 91 year old man.
Tore
« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2020, 14:13 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4228 on: 03 Jan , 2020, 14:11 »
Don. Sorry I missed your question on some items indicated on the luboil strainers, I am not sure I got your question right, but I guess you are referring to the manometer showing the pressuredrop over the strainer.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4229 on: 03 Jan , 2020, 18:53 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

You are a very sharp dude at 91... I have attached Simon's drawing and I have labeled as to what I believe are the Strainer Filters and the Knife Filters. The schematic does not include the Knife Filters as expected, but it looks like Simon's drawing does so...

Don't play that "Old Dude Card" on me! You out lived Maciek, and you could possibly out live me as well and be the last man standing!

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2020, 22:21 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD