Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 592648 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2955 on: 23 Dec , 2015, 00:06 »
Nice artwork tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2956 on: 25 Dec , 2015, 10:08 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...  The best thing about the New Year is Old Friends!

Kind regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2957 on: 25 Dec , 2015, 10:14 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Is that a new paint program?  The frame in your Christmas Card image is in a 3D format; Great job!

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2958 on: 25 Dec , 2015, 23:02 »
Don.
No it`s the same old programme, I just downloaded the frame from the net. Wish you all the best for the year to come hoping your Schizzenbuch would materialize.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2959 on: 19 Jan , 2016, 03:07 »
Hi Tore,

I have got question about trim pump. I know, that it is electrically driven, two-cylinder, double acting piston pump with vertical worm shaft.
However, I'm not able to locate the pump cylinders.
Here:

I have uploaded two views of the pump. What are the two "bulbs" at the front? Are the cylinders located behind?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2960 on: 19 Jan , 2016, 06:25 »
Maciek.
Good to have you back. The trim pump is as you say a double cylinder piston pump, I don`t recall it as a double acting though. The casings for the piston cylinders are difficult to see down behind, but what you see in the front of the pump are the two "bulbs" which are only two buffers (called airvessels) having an aircushion on the top to equalise the reciprocating pump pressure fluctuation in the water both to  avoid pulses and noise in the pipeline. The two smaller "bulbs" are the Valvechambers for the suction/ discharge valve chambers. Unfortunately I don`t have a cross section drawing, but may be a cross section of the double cylinder coolingwater pump for the main engine will do for an explanation.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #2961 on: 22 Jan , 2016, 03:48 »
Hi Tore,

good to hearing from you.
Thank you for the answer.

On the drawing below I have tried to mark the components of the pump - in my
opinion at least.

Does it make sense?

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2962 on: 22 Jan , 2016, 06:36 »
Maciek.
I believe you have got the idea, anyhow for a singleacting pump, for a double acting pump it is a bit more complicated as you got to have crosshead to be able to utilize the underside  of the piston which would imply a somewhat higher pump. It could be there is a mix up with a double pistonpump and a double acting pump.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #2963 on: 09 Mar , 2016, 08:19 »
Hi Gentlemen,

I hope you are doing well.

Here is the link the to the page, where is described story of the U534 conning tower replica:
http://www.modelartanddesign.com/page23.htm

Though U534 was type IXC U-Boat, I let myself to post this link in this sub-forum (:) ),
because one of the photos presents interesting technical detail: interior of the diving planes
(or main rudder) console:

And the photo of the renovated console:

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2964 on: 09 Mar , 2016, 10:14 »
Hi Maciek.
Doing fine thank you! Just renewed my driving licence which is not an easy job in this country when you are 87. In fact to day I feel I could go down to Kiel and crank up good old U-995 any time if she would float.
The tower of U-534 seems to have been excellently restored I am sure for a considerable price and the rudder/hydroplane console is a beauty  however i don`t believe we had a two colour version, I guess the whole thing was dull grey. Even the handles and knobs were not shiny.

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2965 on: 11 Mar , 2016, 08:49 »
Maciek, many thanks for the link: plenty of great shots. The console new look is outstanding too. And yes, doing pretty fine
Cheers
SG

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2966 on: 17 Mar , 2016, 14:56 »
"In fact to day I feel I could go down to Kiel and crank up good old U-995 any time if she would float."

Hi Tore,
it seems that your old maid "Kaura" (Ex U-995) will be dressed up for your proposal: Please look at attached pictures, visited Laboe yesterday and have taken same photos. The deck section around the snorkel cutouts is covered by a tent. I suppose the upper pressure hull underneath the cutout is rusty and has to be renovate.You can recognize a compressor on pic "0014". IMO a sure sign that this section is provided for a accelerated drying.

Regards
falo

P.S: If you need a mate for cranking up U-995, it would be a honour for me to enlist as a volunteer under your command, Sir!   
;)
« Last Edit: 17 Mar , 2016, 15:01 by falo »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2967 on: 17 Mar , 2016, 15:42 »
Falo.
Thank you for sharing recent images of my old lady. I guess she needs some Botox to cover her wrinkles and scars. For all you guys who fancy canning, the light on falos photos reveals the susceptible platings for the saddleballast tanks 2 and 4. You clearly see the dents in those areas whereas in the pressure proof area of the Q, regulatingtanks 1 and 2 you hardly see any dents. Canning and denting is not only to start carving the hull and saddle, it needs knowledge where to put it as well. Excellent photos Falo.
Tore

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2968 on: 18 Mar , 2016, 14:18 »
Hi Tore,

yes you are right your old lady needs a little make up, because she is a bit rusty (see attached pics "0009", "0013", "0026" and "0029".

I suppose preservation is very difficult because U-995 is not an indoor presentation like U-505 in Chicago. So the ravages of time won't reprieve the boat.

I haven taken two pictures in addition which assist your thinkings about model scale, rivets, carving, canning and denting. If you have look at picture "0006" (stern) you can recognize how small the rivets are. Picture number "0022" is a very rare one from the flood holes at eye level. You can see clearly the frames of the inner structure through the flood holes. The drip channels at the lower left side are not accurate because they just for draining the rain and dampness (as you've mentioned before).

Regards
falo

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2969 on: 19 Mar , 2016, 01:35 »
Falo.
Interesting details of the present condition of U 995. Indeed an illustration of the small almost invincible rivets on the casing. The real steelrivets occur only in those area where you need strength like the riveted hatch for fitting the main engines into the pressurehull. I guess the majority of the corrosion damages of the pressurehull was done while she was laid up afloat almost five years prior to the Restoration. As you might see from the image below she was in bad shape at that time, having practically no antifouling and corrosionprotection. The casing was very susceptible to corrosion even in my time and as I have told before almost half the fwd starboard casing was swept away in a gale crossing the Northsea to Scotland in November 1953.
I still maintain my point of view, it is a pity that modelbuilders overdue the canning, rivets and the pressurehull corrosion inspired by the museum U 995 as an operational Uboat would never have such damages.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Mar , 2016, 01:24 by tore »