Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 593632 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2790 on: 23 Jun , 2015, 03:57 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch
Page 206 inspection manhole MTB 3 ... this is a manhole in the center bulkhead of MBT 3 may be you should name it : inspection manhole centerbulkhead MBT 3.
The following pages up to 209 deals with the with the  Q tanks. I guess we have discussed it before, but to me using "negative buoyancy tank"for Q is strange, in fact all the ballasttanks are negative buoyancy tanks when diving. It is a long and difficult word which we never used in RN English. Untertriebzelle is a much better German word for the tank and so is Q for quick diving. As you are quite frequently using, to me, the correct name "Q", I guess you should stick to the one and same word in your book. Another word you are frequently using in the following pages concerning the periscope is "wench". I am not familiar with this word, as we in RN English use "Winch". Is it a US word?
I have looked so far through all the pages up to 320 apart from the torpedo pages and have so far not any remarks.
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Jun , 2015, 05:38 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2791 on: 24 Jun , 2015, 02:15 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch
Page 337.... of the controlroom there are 4 ventilation lever bridges...... venting..   Left image 4 ventpipe- ventilation pipe. 11 Shut off cock.
Page 338[size=78%] ...[/size]Image left  Ventilation of Waterballast.... Venting...Image lower left Driveshaft opening closing- shutting. ... opening closing          lever-   shutting.
Page 339 Venting ...... by large pull-push levers in the controlroom ceiling.... upper part of pressurehull. ..., and ballast tank no 4....ballast and RFO tank no 4.   .... if  the Uboat had any dammage to the airtrunk f.i.by enemy aircraft machinegunfire......
Page 342  Image ventilation valve- ventvalve.Page 343 ..... bow buoyancy tank was located in the ceiling.... upper part of pressurehull. Lower left...eliminating the ceiling mounted handwheel  upper pressurehull.
Page 344 .... with the interlocks in the ceiling ..... aft torpedo room ceiling.... upper pressure hull.

Tore
« Last Edit: 24 Jun , 2015, 02:29 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2792 on: 24 Jun , 2015, 07:34 »
Don continuing the Skizzenbuch.
Page 347 ... shifting shaft for forward or reverse...  astern. In RN english Reversing means the operation where the engine is shifting either to ahead or astern. Hence you can be reversing the engine from astern to ahead.
Page 349  2nd section 2nd last paragraph ....extra required space required...2nd last sentence ... the gauges having aluminium  was substituted... as substitute ...
k verblockung = interlock.
Page  352....translation of text plate 29 a.  A funny misprint Analassen-Anlassen .
The following pages up to page 400 deals with electrical details which I presume you take care of yourshelf.

Tore
« Last Edit: 24 Jun , 2015, 07:37 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2793 on: 24 Jun , 2015, 18:15 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thank you for the excellent review work...  For my part, my spelling error was really funny and really stupid!

"Winch" is a mechanical device; as you know...

"Wench" is what pirates called women with loose morals...

and that was not picked up with MS Word Spell or Grammar Check!!!

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2794 on: 25 Jun , 2015, 00:02 »
Don.
I see, I have spent quite a few years in Caribbean waters but never met a wench, put it in your Skizzenbuch dictionary together with Analassen. ;D
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Jun , 2015, 00:06 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2795 on: 25 Jun , 2015, 12:45 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Page 337, item 3 on the u-historia drawing is a "Ventilation Pipe" correct?
Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2796 on: 25 Jun , 2015, 14:04 »
Don.
Absolutely, 3 is the port ventilaton pipe. Below I have made an image showing the two ducts stb and port.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2797 on: 25 Jun , 2015, 18:57 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

When U-995 was caught in the North Sea gale and damaged in 1953; were the emergency shut-off valves used because of damage to the air trunks outside of the pressure hull?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2798 on: 25 Jun , 2015, 23:53 »
Don.
The damage was primarely done to the casing and the sturdy pipings and ducts inside the casing were intact.
Tore
« Last Edit: 26 Jun , 2015, 00:17 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2799 on: 26 Jun , 2015, 11:30 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The photo I had of under the deck has the common trunk missing for MBT 2 and MBT 4...  Was that a result of the storm damage?  If so, then the emergency shut-off valves would need to be used...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2800 on: 26 Jun , 2015, 14:25 »
Don.
There are several images of U 995 repairing the casing, however these are photos of the renovation of the museum U 995 end of the 60 ties in Kiel when they removed practically all the pipings and ducts inside the casing prior to making the museum boat. In 1953 after the severe casing damage we ended up in Londonderry and got a temporarly repair carried out on the casing alongside a RN submarine repairship where upon we were able to take part in an execise using the MBT 3. I don`t think we ever took a picture of the damage. Coming home they evaluated the damage with regards to the permanent repaircost and came to the conclusion that a permanent repair would be worth while after all.
 Down below is a photo of the renovation of the U 995 in Kiel around 69-70, as you see they pretty much cleaned out everything inside the casing. I guess your photo is from this renovation.
Tore
« Last Edit: 26 Jun , 2015, 14:29 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2801 on: 26 Jun , 2015, 17:11 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I assume you meant... "a permanent repair would NOT be worthwhile after all."

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2802 on: 26 Jun , 2015, 19:10 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I believe I have completed the MS Word Master Vision (spelling and grammar check, and art lay-out) of Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M for Schiffer Publishing.  This version is a guideline for what the lay-out for the book should look like as proposed by me.  The next phase would be to do the layout for the publishing printer which is so different and special character based.

However, I still retain the option to change the Master if there are still corrections to be made.

I have uploaded the latest version of "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M" to dropbox...

Again, I really appreciate all of your help with this project, and I could not have done it without your help!

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2803 on: 27 Jun , 2015, 00:44 »
Don.
No Don, the damage was that big that voices were raised to scrap the submarine, but after a thorough evaluation  the navy decided to carry out permanent extensive repairs. but after this event she was taken out of service and became later a training submarine and the active crew including me got another VIIC, KNM Kya ex U 926 being only sligthly different from the VIIC/41.

Still some 50-60 pages to double check, however my computer is about to give up, it looks as if some of the prossesors are gone, so I have ordered a new one which shall be ready next week.

Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Jun , 2015, 00:52 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2804 on: 27 Jun , 2015, 11:36 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

OK, I will hold off in presenting a final Wprd document to Schiffer...  Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD