Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 614886 times)

Online tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2775 on: 15 Jun , 2015, 08:47 »
Don.
I realise may be the outlet coolingwater from the cylindercover to the exhaustvalve casing might be a bit unclear. Down below is an image which shows the system. The full flow coolingwater from the relevant cylinder enters a regulating valve where part of the water goes to the valvecage the rest to the exhaust manifold. The outlet from the cage enters the regulatingvalve and leave together with the bypassed enginecooling water to the exhaust manifold.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2776 on: 16 Jun , 2015, 10:01 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The drawing you provided has 2 items that I relabeled.  However, when I make the image small enough to upload it's not very readable...

1st item - Super charger clutch handle
2nd item - Foldable starting air handle

Are these the correct label?

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2777 on: 16 Jun , 2015, 11:14 »
Don.
Correct, maybe " foldable starting wheel handle" would be better. It seems as if the quality of the image is not very good, down below I am mailing a new larger image (max. allowable) may be it is better.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2778 on: 16 Jun , 2015, 11:33 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thank you...  The Super charger manometer, isn't that the Exhaust pressure manometer for when blowing the ballast tanks?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 16 Jun , 2015, 11:42 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2779 on: 16 Jun , 2015, 12:03 »
Yes Don. This is an old image with a wrong text. The manometers are used for adjusting the exhaust blowingvalves (next to the roots blower) for the ballasttanks.
Tore

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2780 on: 17 Jun , 2015, 00:01 »
Don.
Down below is an image where I have used one of Simons images to turn the stb. main engine cylinder block 180 degrees as well as the fitting of the port exhaustmanifold.
As you see the exhaustmanifold consist of two different parts, when the cylinder block is turned, the cylinder covers air inlets becomes the exhaust outlets. The exhaust manifold aft part, being slightly longer than the other is then placed up fwd to match the new exhaust outlets, thereby the same exhaustmanifold can be used for both engines.
As previously mentioned the movement of the fuelrack is changed when the fuelpumps are turned 180 degrees as well, the direction is indicated on the image. However as you want to have the identical movement of the maneuvering handles for both engines you overcome this by adopting the linkage of the maneuveringstand for on the engines.
 As to the governors and the servomotors, they are not turned 180 degrees and same execution is on stb. and port engine, pretty much as for the maneuveringstand. The governor and servo linkage is adopted to overcome the non turning of the servo as well.  As a description of the system require an understanding of the governor and the servo which might be a bit outside the scope of your Skizzenbuch, but in case you want to go into this details just let me know.
Tore
« Last Edit: 17 Jun , 2015, 00:38 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2781 on: 17 Jun , 2015, 22:14 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

As you all know Skizzenbuch is composed of 3 Word document files because of crashing and corruption issues with MS Word and large dot doc files. I have gone through Skizzenbuch in the past few months and reformatted it to a MS Word standard for a 11 x 17 format and ran grammar check and spell check. I have re-sized and edited the photos for the best possible color and contrast within the limits of the original photos.

During the grammar check, I had to change some of the wording to get through the process, but not to any great extent. In the past month, I have amended several pages and added 2 others. The final page count is 459 pages, so I believe Schiffer Publishing will make Skizzenbuck a 2 volume set.

I have uploaded the last 1/3rd section into dropbox, the file name is "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - 3.pdf"...

Mr. Tore, would you please check pages 340, 348, 349, and 358 for a sanity check.

Maciek, would you please check pages 397, and 407, and again for a sanity check.

You all are welcome to browse the last third and make any comment. I will work on compiling the new formatted version into one complete file this weekend. That will be the version that goes to Schiffer Publishing for approval. I had to learn how to convert XLS to a DOS Text file, and then add the German special characters for the 34 Plate description pages. I had to learn to create Word columns in a document for several pages, in order to run grammar check on the document (I learned that offsets and simple spacing really screws things up).

After all this, I have to reformat Skizzenbuch again to match their publishing printer standards which does not support any formatting standard, no columns, no tables , etc.  They needed a Word formatted document as a reference.  I will find out in a few weeks how to reformat Skizzenbuch.

This is a real hassle - I can take my PDF version of Skizzenbuch to Office Depot, or Staples and have it printed for my leather post binder with NO conversion.  Their printer is compatible with an Adobe PDF formatted file and several other formats.

Kind regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 17 Jun , 2015, 22:21 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2782 on: 18 Jun , 2015, 00:27 »
Don.
The lay out looks much better. I have just read page thru 328 thru 337. And have following remarks:
Page 328 ....using ventilation levers..... ventlevers ..... located in the aft controlroom ceiling.... We don't`have ceiling
               on boad ships and particularly not on submarines. Better use upper part of pressure hull.
Page 329 In the list of fueltank capacities you have included the small fueloil collecting tank but omitted the the fuel oil
               daytanks (header tanks) I suggest you include the daytanks as well.
Page 334  .... both handwheels have a lock.... change to both ... vent handwheels ... not to mix up with the ventilation handwheels.
Page 335 .... crank to open and close..... change to shut.
Page 336 ... larger  lever for MBT 2 and MBT 4.. I guess you are fooled by the camera angle as both levers are about the same size. The levers for MBT 2&4 have bends which make it look as if they are shorter. I suggest you use: the aft levers are for MBT 3 port and stb. the fwd levers are for MBT 2&4 port and stb.
Page 337 ....saddletanks kingstons are normally open as well. May be you should add : .. when in ballast configuration.
               U-historia image.  It seems you have Googled the Spanish text, I suggest the following:
                 8  pressurehull. (14a) watergauges for regulating tank 2 and (14 b) regulating and reseve fuel oil tank 1. (15) Trim-, aux bilge and     floodpump.
Tore
« Last Edit: 18 Jun , 2015, 08:33 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2783 on: 18 Jun , 2015, 10:55 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Do you remember if the Day tank was directly above the Dirty oil storage tank.  If so I can use the same distance from the center of gravity in the table (-9.5)...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2784 on: 18 Jun , 2015, 11:44 »
Don.
I believe the aft part of the dirty f.o. tank is about 1/2 a frame fwd of the fwd part of the daytank.
Tore

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2785 on: 19 Jun , 2015, 11:45 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch page 340,348,349 and 358. The isometric image on page 341 does not show the centre bulkhead in  MBT 3 thus not the fixing of the operatingrod bearings for the kingstons.
Page 343 image of the bow buoyancy tank marked ventilation valve,.... vent valve.
Page 348 basic starting sequence..... 5. move the starting lever to run .... lifting the cylinder starting air rollers from the starting cams and shutting starting air to                  the cylinderstarting valve.
Page 349 GW Maneuvering Panel Sequencing. I believe you are more or less describing, in different words, the same sequence as on page 348. Suggest you give a condensed ( and incomplete) description of the reversing instead, may be as follows:
Reversing.
Starting lever is placed in the reversing position, this vent the top piston of the cylinder starting valve, lifting the camrollers free from the camshaft at the same time air is admitted to the reversing slide.  The reversing handle is then put in astern position, this movement lift the exhaust-and inletrollers free from the camshaft. The camshaft is now ready to be moved axially. Air is admitted from the reversing slide to the reversing cylinder which move the camshaft axially and placing the astern cams under the valve pushrod rollers which now are lowered on to the cams. As soon as the camshaft is in the astern position, the interlocks are released and the engine can be started now astern as previously described

Coming weekend I shall be away from the internet I hope to be back Monday.
Tore
the push rods rollers can now be placed on the asterncams, the engine is ready to run astern and starting can be done as previously described.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2786 on: 21 Jun , 2015, 01:44 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I made all the changes as suggested, and fixed the 3D MBT 3 drawing...  I have completed the MS Word document where there are no offsets, and I used columns to get everything aligned. I re-indexed the file and had to break Skizzenbuch up into 4 files because the 3rd file got too large and was crashing Word and corrupting the file.  I uploaded the latest version "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M" (M = merged) to dropbox.  This is my final version for Schiffer Publishing, Ltd; Spell and Grammar checked - pending information corrections.

Maciek - I updated the RADAR, Naxos and Wanze section with some new info.  I would appreciate if you would review it and provide any comments.  I believe you are better qualified than I on this subject matter, and most others.

Mr. Tore -  You are the expert on all things that pertains to the Type VII C U-Boat, and I value your opinion and always take your suggestions.

Kind regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 21 Jun , 2015, 01:46 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2787 on: 22 Jun , 2015, 02:26 »
Don.
I started to read the Skizzebuch all over again. Here are my remarks up to page 170.
Page 38 ..negative bouyancy tank.... In RN submarine english this is a word never used, we call it the Q tank, neither do we used the constructed word express, we simply use : blow Q!     
Page 78 .... the pipe to the right is a drainpipe.... It is a hot sea water supplypipe to the galley and the sanatary system.
Page 117 Exhaust port and spark arrestor.  .... and possibly spark arrestor... here is a capital p wrongly used.
Page 123..... or a MAN with a Bachi exhaust.....It is a Buchi exhaust... the u is a german letter having two dots on the top "u
[size=0px]           [/size][size=0px]    .......[/size] The vibration damper... better use torsional vibration damper.
Page 170 The MBT 3 blowing manifold (exterior to the pressure hull)  ..... exhaust blowing manifold ... not to be confused with the HP air blowing                         manifold inside the pressure hull.
Tore
« Last Edit: 22 Jun , 2015, 02:31 by tore »

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2788 on: 22 Jun , 2015, 07:30 »
Don.
Checked up to page 176
Page 170 I believe a better image is my new one below.
Page 172 Starboard side ceiling does not exists........ stb. side upper pressurehull.
Page 173  Same as on page 172 ceiling...
               The reason for MBT 3 dual system of venting,kingstons, hp blowing and exhaustblowing is it is a center bulkhead in the MBT 3 thus you have port and                                starboard.
Page 174 Down below is perhaps a better image of the residual venting bevelgear.
Tore
« Last Edit: 22 Jun , 2015, 07:33 by tore »

Online tore

• Tore
« Reply #2789 on: 22 Jun , 2015, 11:06 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch comments.
Page 177  ...... aproximately 10 meter waterclolumn of fresh..... Possibly better: ... 10 meter column of fresh water at 4 degrees.....
Page 182... the forward and aft hydroplanes are mounted on common shaft... can be misunderstood, possibly better ... the port and stb hydroplanes are mounted on a common shaft...
Page 183....Possibly better: .. the large handwheel on the left is the emergency handcontrol of the fwd hydroplanes and the handwheel to the right, the emergency hand operation of the aft hydroplanes. The normal control is carried out by the electric push buttons on the BBC controlbox in the center of the handwheels.
Page 184...The two diveplane stations... the two hydroplane stations...   .... to manual at the clutch near the dive plane.... hydroplane.
Fuerungsslange mit gewinde- threaded operation rod.  Kreutz kopf -crosshead.
Page 195 ... so when silent running was needed the telegraph could be sill... still...   Last paragraph  I guess you should change this paragraph as the procedure is:  the order is given, the telegraph is set to the order, the reciever acknowledge the order immedeately and then execute the order, thus the reciever do not wait to execute the order before he answer by the telegraph.
Page 196... There are two arrows red and green, not black.
Page 197.. the engineer or electrician will answer ( as mention above) when the order is recieved before the order is executed.
Skizzenbuch up to page 200 checked.
Tore

« Last Edit: 25 Jun , 2015, 00:10 by tore »