Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 591483 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1005 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 14:01 »
Q. Just checking that this is this section of piping.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1006 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 14:19 »
Simon.
Sometimes when starting a cold engine, you want to heat it up as quickly as possible, instead of pumping calories overboard you put the calories (warm water) back to the suction side of the coolingwater. In case of a freshwatercooling like on USN submarines you would bypass the freshwatercooler but these engines have no cooling watercooler hence returning the warm seawater.
Tore
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 14:39 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1007 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 14:38 »
Simon.
I am a bit bewildered, the photo you are showing is the port engineattached luboilpump with reliefvalve. The purple T could very well be the thermometer pocket for the coolingwater inletpipe to the port engine corresponding to the purple bend on the stb engine.
Tore
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 23:58 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1008 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 22:40 »
Tore, today while researching the Lubricating Oil System I was able to workout a large part of the Cooling-water system, this includes working out the original German pipe layout and arrangement :) :) :) I will almost totally redraw the Cooling-water system and this will take me a few days. I will post updates soon.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1009 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 23:57 »
Simon
Looking forward to seeing it!
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #1010 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 02:34 »
Hi Simon

I not know why I forget this. Several years back I noted this and email Dani at u-historia.com. It was confirm that there is a connection between both control wheels. Updated drawings at found at
http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/visitaguiada/ventilaciones/ventilaciones.htm

Interesting note. Thanks for information.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #1011 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 11:02 »
 ;)  Very nice model! You did alot of modifying and that is great! Well done! A model is your own idea of how you want it to be!  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Regards,
Dan

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1012 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 12:05 »
I can not believe it! After spending all day looking at the Lubricating Oil System, I was working out one more original German pipe layout and arrangement  :) :) :) :) :)

Tore, as we know that were two inlets to the CW pumps, would there be two outlets?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1013 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 12:36 »
Simon
I`m not sure there are two inlets see sketch below, I believe there are two discharge outlets port and starboard ( red arrows).
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1014 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 12:52 »
Simon
If you look at the topview engineroom arrangement you`ll find two flanged connection on the forward front of the engine on each side of the centerline of the engine, I guess that is the discharge. Towards engine room centerline (inboards) I guess you `ll see the suction inlet very low down.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1015 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 13:22 »
Tore, from what I can workout from the Shipyard Drawings it does not seen to match the Design and Specification Books drawing.

From that I can work out there no linkage between the pump and valve 'f',but like the drawing I have added, could this be right or have I got this all worng?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1016 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 13:34 »
Dan
The model of KNM Kaura ex U 995 is as you remark deviating quite a bit from the conventional model kit of a VIIC. It shows one of three modified VII Cs serving in the R.Nor. Navy as from early 50s till mid 60s. The philosophy at that time was a submarine should stay submerged by means of snort most of the time, rather than take up fight with surface and air enemies. That`s why we did away with all the guns and wintergarden keeping a minimum of tower. Later we converted one of the VII Cs with a modern "sail" as well.
I rather concentrated on technical details than the weathering, brownwash and canning. The model shows the norwegian tower, details of the opened Kingstons, the difference between the saddletanks and main ballasttank no 3 kingstons, fitting the snortmast bend above the casingdeck starboard, which is missing on most snortmast models, reducing the deckcontainers, did away with the"deck winglets" located in the wintergarden area, change some of the floodgates, moved the anchor forward, change the antennas wireintake, sternlantern and a few smaller items. The major deviation details can be seen from the photo below

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1017 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 13:41 »
Tore, I am starting to get a little lost with this layout. To help me have I mark the correct layout below?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1018 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 14:01 »
Simon.
I guess you can find the exhaust coolingwater outlet on the drawing by following the pipe on the photo. The pipe goes a bit aft then down almost around the exhaustmanifold and then forward to the suction line.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Jan , 2013, 14:39 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1019 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 14:37 »
Simon
Below is a sketch I made in a hurry late night my time. The blue is the suction lines, the red is the pressure lines. The red pressurelines get a reduced pressure decreasing by the distance from the pumps. The warm return coolingwater outlet from the exhaustmanifold has to be boosted by the cooling waterpump either by the enginedriven pump or the electric circulatingpump. So the return of warm water has a bit higher pressure than ordinary suction, howewer you  usually don't use all the water. You are throttling the pressure by the suctionvalve as you mix the warm water with cold seawater in order to prevent overheating. Sounds complicated? ??? it is quite normal. Today you would have a thermostat. :D
Tore