Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 103744 times)

vonbulowfla

Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun , 2009, 10:09 »
mr bill ' are you still alive ladd .? whats the deal with the boat mate . i have been working like a dog . as a matter of fact i am on the road for work right now just thought i would check in with the ladds to see what was up . anyway let us know you are sucking air mate and talk to you soon . oh yes i have that shot of my type 7 b main flood solution ready and i will send it as soon as i get back to the ship yard . till then good day mates !

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun , 2009, 16:28 »
Still here.  Almost have the property renovation work completed, it has been an ordeal.  Just when I thought I had some spare time to spend on U-45, the alternator on my car failed.  Seems that the 8 year old battery finally went bad and the external voltage regulator was failing to charge at low RPM's which eventually burned a diode which in turn fried the ignition warning relay light.  This is all original Lucas stuff on a 1971 Series 2 E-Type, so you can imagine the trouble finding competent service and suitable spares.  Anyway, I should have everything ready for a test tomorrow.  If that goes OK, I hope to spend some time on U-45.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 10:27 »
Hello Everyone,

I have finally completed my property renovation project and can now focus some time on my U-45 project.  Nothing of substance to share with you today except that I recently purchased the Special Navy Type IIA kit and compared the bronze eagle with the one I scratch built for U-45.  The SN part is smaller than my effort, it looks a bit too small when placed on the Type VII conning tower.  My scratch built eagle seems a bit too large.  Not sure how to proceed at this point, but will look into it more closely and compare to photos. I might be able to reduce my scratch built eagle a bit more.

I also believe that the SN eagle is not accurate.  The head and peak face forward.  I think they should face to the side based on photos I have reviewed.  Perhaps there are two versions used by the DKM?

Mr. Bill
« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2018, 07:48 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #33 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 11:28 »
I could also have a use on one bronze eagle on my viib. I do have a unbuilt II A and the eagle from that kit... Would it be difficult to make a mould and make resin eagle of it? Too bad no one isn

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #34 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 16:36 »
It's easy to make a mould and cast! We'll be posting an article on easy resin casting...but it's going up at Model Shipwrights first, not sure when.

YOU can cast your eagle for home use, but to recast and sell would be bad..not sure we have any sculptors on staff...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

kagero43

« Reply #35 on: 03 Aug , 2009, 11:05 »
Simply stunning work Mr. Bill. Can't wait to see it all painted up! Will be interested in the colors you choose - Harvey

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: 06 Aug , 2009, 10:12 »
Hello!

Progress photos of preliminary hull work.  First photo shows some of the modifications needed to convert the flood vent arrangements on the Revell VIIC kit to a type VIIB configuration.  Note that there should be two additional flood vents on the bottom row.  I decided to compromise accuracy on this rather than attempt major surgery to modify the size and shape of the saddle tank.  All of the round vents on the breakwater just below the deck gun location have been filled in.  U-45 did not have a breakwater as built.  A filler piece of white styrene was added to the forward section of the long flood vent that lays on top of the saddle tank.  I did not open the remaining part of this long thin vent at this time so I can more easily work with the hull part.  It will become far more flexible and prone to damage when this long vent is opened fully.  The six additional vents on the top row lay very close to the saddle tank and depending on the viewing angle will appear to bend with the contour of the hull.  This can be seen in the photo as the line of vents seem to dip in the middle when they are actually in a straight line.  I will try to post a photo later that shows the line of vents from a different angle to better illustrate this point.

Next photo shows modification done to central flood vents.  This was one of the easier modifications as the Revell kit just needed two additional vents to depict the VIIB.  The shape of the vents should be more rounded and paired.  I might try to improve this area further.

Next image shows the lower bow flood vents opened up.  No changes to the kit part other than to open the vents.  I am not really sure how this area looked on U-45 and will probably leave it as it appears now.

Last image for today shows the opened vents on the stern.  the arrangement of vents on the Revell kit in this area are not exactly accurate.  Again, I decided to compromise and just open up the kit vents.

In general. I found opening the kit flood vents more difficult than it first appears.  I used a dremel to remove some material from the inside and then scraped/sanded the remaining styrene until just a very thin, almost transparent, layer remained which could be punched out leaving just some careful cleanup on the edges of the hole.  Cutting the additional vents was not too difficult, but it is essential to control location, size, and shape so they match with the kit vents.  I think my additional vents may just a tiny bit too large!

Thanks for looking, please don't hesitate to post your comments. questions, or advice. 

Mr. Bill
« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2018, 07:52 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #37 on: 06 Aug , 2009, 10:29 »
Hi Bill!

Since i have similar project waiting i

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: 06 Aug , 2009, 11:08 »
Hello Anakin,

Your are correct, the VIIB hull is shorter than the VIIC.  See the post by Snowman on 17 May for details on the hull dimensions.  I decided not to cut the hull in my U-45 project because I will be using the Amati photo etch deck which is almost an exact match lengthwise for the Revell VIIC hull parts.  Odd that the Amati VIIB deck fits so nicely with the Revell VIIC hull!  The big problem with the Revell hull is the saddle tanks - they get in the way of the extra flood vent holes needed for a VIIB.

The Amati brass parts are very thick and more difficult to work with than most photo etch.  You can try to straighten the deck by placing it on a flat hard surface and rolling a heavy (really heavy) cylindrical object over it repeatedly until the bends are flattened out.  You will probably have to change direction of your roll a few times. The part will begin to take on a long curve - don't worry, just get the bends flattened out completely and then you take the curve out by turning the part over and gently rolling until flat. 

Depending on which VIIB you plan to build, you may have to modify the Amati brass deck with regard to the location of the galley hatch, marker buoy, and ammunition container.   May also need to modify the brass deck depending on the type of conning tower.  The thick brass is difficult to cut and work with, so be careful and be sure you have checked your desired modification before cutting!

Best thing to do is select a particular VIIB at a specific time and get as many related photos and/or other reference materials.  Just picking a boat is not enough as many experienced frequent and significant changes, such as U-47.  Dougie has researched some really excellent material on this matter which I think is posted in the Library.  You can also seek advice on this forum as there are several very knowledgeable people here that are very helpful.

Good luck!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: 06 Aug , 2009, 12:25 »
Hello Again,

I dry fitted the bronze eagle from the Special Navy Type IIA onto my U-45 conning tower and am pleased with the result.  The SN eagle looks just right compared to photos of U-45.  My scratch built eagle is far too large, maybe OK for 1/48th scale.

The only fault I have with the SN eagle is that the head/peak are pointed straight ahead and should be pointed toward the left wing. 

Thanks for looking!

Mr. Bill
« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2018, 09:13 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #40 on: 06 Aug , 2009, 13:16 »
I just compared amati

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #41 on: 07 Aug , 2009, 05:32 »
The B was shorter, they added a tiny bit of length, and I think they beefed up the saddle tanks, but that's a dim memory.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug , 2009, 19:26 »
Greeting Everyone!

While working on my build of U-45 I noticed something that is different from other VIIB's.  Based on photographs, it appears that U-45 did not have the three small vent holes located along the rear top edge of the saddle tank.  These are visible on other VIIB's such as U-47 and U-99, but are absent on u-45.  These three vents follow the curve of the saddle tank and run right along the edge.  Viewing photos of VIIB's, the first of these holes is always located directly beneath the seventh flood vent.  An excellent example of this is a photo of U-99 appearing on page 24 of Warship Pictorial #27 by Steve Wiper.  These three holes beneath flood vent 7 are also visible in this photo of U-47:

The next photo shows U-45 with no holes beneath flood vent number 7.  The edge of the saddle tank is clearly visible, but there are no holes in this location. 

The last photo is a scan from page 16 of the book from Robert Stern.  The three holes are absent from this early VIIB boat.  The book does not mention which boat appears in this photo, but I believe it may be U-45.  It has the early type of conning tower and the three holes are absent.  The photo shows this boat is nearly ready for launch and has even been painted.  It does not seem likely that this boat is still under construction awaiting for these three holes to be added, especially as everything else seems to be have been completed and the boat painted in preparation for launching.

Being the first VIIB constructed, it does not seem unusual that U-45 had some unique features that subsequent VIIB's did not.  An example of this is the absence of one ammo pass through hatch on the conning tower.  All other VIIB's seem to have had two hatches.  I believe the absence of these three holes is another example of U-45 differing from other VIIB's. 

What are your thoughts on this?  It seems clear to me that U-45 did not have these three holes, but perhaps I am missing something or interpreting the photos incorrectly.  Your comments, opinions, and questions are most welcome!

Regards,

Mr. Bill
« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2018, 09:17 by Mr. Bill »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug , 2009, 14:31 »
Hi Mr. Bill,

I think you are right about U 45 not having the three holes...well noticed! The VIIB photo on page 16 of Stern's book has always puzzled me. Along with the three holes missing, there doesn't seem to be the big group of holes inboard of the prop shaft.

Also, do you see the housing where the prop meets the hull (parts 22/23 in the Revell kit)? VIIBs were supposed to have holes above this housing. I can't see these holes in this photo (which may well be U 45).

In the past I wondered if the workers had yet to cut the holes in this VIIB. However, as you have said, the boat is already painted. So maybe U 45 had a LOT fewer holes than the other VIIBs?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: 17 Sep , 2009, 20:06 »
Hello !

New photos of the conning tower to share, but first I want to thank Dougie for pointing out the lack of flooding holes above the prop shaft housing in the Stern book photo.  I was so focused on the three holes above the saddle tank, I completely missed this!  Although the boat in this photo is not identified in the caption, clearly it is one of the very early VIIB's due to the conning tower style.  As mentioned, the absence of the three holes above the end of the saddle tank seem to match photos of U-45 so I am inclined to think this mysterious photo is U-45, but it would be nice to know for certain.  If accepted as U-45, then I need to fill in those prop shaft flooding holes that I just opened up recently!  I think U-45 maybe is also unique with regards to the bow flooding vents, but I need to check into it further - the photos are conflicting! More on this later.

The following photos show the completion of the conning tower which is finally ready for a light spray of primer.  Some items have been left off at this point and will be painted separately prior to final assembly.  It may look a bit scruffy in these photos, but I think the primer will help tremendously to bring out the details.

After many attempts with brass and styrene (which all failed), I used the railing from the Amati kit which turned out better than expected.  This railing is noticeable "square" in shape, so I very carefully sanded the edges to give it a more rounded look.  The most difficult parts for me were the very tiny brass pieces I used for the safety belt attachment rings along the upper inside edge of the tower.  The swastika on the top the mast was also a bit difficult due the very tiny size.

My goal was to try to capture all of the conning tower details I could identify from the photos of U-45.  The one item that is a bit confusing is the ship's bell.  I can't see it in any of the commissioning day photos, but it is clearly there on other photos of U-45.  This seems odd, I would have expected to see it on commissioning day.  At this point, I believe I will leave it off since I want to show U-45 on her commissioning day.

As always, I greatly appreciate your comments, advice, and questions.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2018, 09:20 by Mr. Bill »