Author Topic: Eduard Albatros DVa Build  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Eduard Albatros DVa Build
« on: 25 Jan , 2010, 01:55 »
Hi all, I will be starting a quick build of Eduard's Albatros DVa in 1/48 scale.  I got some "Mister Color" paints last week and really want to give them a try.  I plan to start the build today after work.  It will be a straight OOB build with no notable bells and whistles.  The plan is to represent Lt. Lehmann's Jasta 5 aircraft circa the spring of 1918.  Stay tuned, it should be fun.

Ernest

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: Eduard Albatros DVa Build
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 06:15 »
Hello Ernst,

The Albatros DVa is a beautiful aircraft, please be sure to post photos!  What are Mister Colour paints?  I don't recall this brand?  Every time I try to do something just out of the box, I get sidetracked and start start detailing and modifying things.  One day, I will force myself to do something straight from the box!

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 07:18 »
Hi Bill, I mistyped the name of the paints.  The correct name is Misterkit Paints.  The paints are manufactured in europe.  There is an online retailer in the USA and they are also sold by Roll Models.  The paints concentrate on WWI colors for aircraft of all nations.  They are acrylic and the colormatching is supposed to be very accurate.  Though I cannot confirm, I have heard the paints are produced by Lifecolor.  I do know the paints can be thinned with Lifecolor thinner.  I will be sure to let everyone know how they behave while airbrushing.

I know what you mean about detailing, I have the affliction myself!  ;)

Ernest

Hello Ernst,

The Albatros DVa is a beautiful aircraft, please be sure to post photos!  What are Mister Colour paints?  I don't recall this brand?  Every time I try to do something just out of the box, I get sidetracked and start start detailing and modifying things.  One day, I will force myself to do something straight from the box!

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 27 Jan , 2010, 10:39 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan , 2010, 00:45 »
Hi all, I'm nearly finished with the cockpit.  Like most aircraft models, the "office" is the most detailed, and potentially, time consuming part of construction.  Of course WWI cockpits are pretty sparse compared to their WWII counterparts, so it has not been bad at all.  As the main thrust of this build was to test the Misterkit paints, I should have gone with one of Eduard's "Weekend Edition" kits.  The "ProfiPack" Albatros has a fair amount of PE stuff, and I can't resist "improving" a few things to compiliment the PE. ;D  This build will probably take a few more days to complete as a result.  I'll post a picture or two when I get home from work today showing the progress.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan , 2010, 10:38 »
Ok, here is a picture of the majority of the cockpit.  The PE seatbelts were too stiff, so I cut the metal parts from them and made belts out of Tamiya tape with those parts attached.  Other then that small bit of scratchbuilding, the cockpit is built OOB.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan , 2010, 13:54 »
I have made enough progress to post a few photos.  The first three are of the fuselage and the top and bottom of the upper wing.  The wing was airbrushed with MisterKit paints.  They airbrush very well when thinned 50/50 with Lifecolor thinner; I sprayed at the same 10-15 psi, that I spray Lifecolor paints.  The paint atomized quite well and left a smooth nearly satin finish.  The fuselage has recieved two of its three colors.  The silver color is ModelMaster Metalizer Aluminum.  The green is a mix of two shades of Lifecolor green.  I tried to get as close to the shade of green seen on Jasta 5 aircraft, and I think I got pretty close.  Tomorrow I will spray the red, which will be MisterKit Jasta 11 Red.  Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.

The next two shots show one of the Spandau MG's.  I used the kit PE parts, which include the Cooling Jacket, Cocking Mechanism and Trigger Bar, to detail both MG's.  They were painted ModelMaster Metalizer Gun Metal.  I simulated worn metal by brushing graphite onto the MG's.  Overall the effect turned out pretty convincing.  The final photo is a closeup of the exhaust.  I painted it a medium brown color.  After the base color dried I added rust using the following technique.  First a covered the part with a thin coat of watered down Microscale Crystal Clear.  While that was still wet, I used an old paintbrush to stripple on a rust colored pastel from Tamiya's weathering pastels.

Enjoy,
Ernest

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan , 2010, 14:45 »
Looking good Ernest!   I like your technique for the exhaust.  I have never tried to apply a pastel to a wet clear coat - I just applied the pastel and then top clear coat to seal everything.  Do you find that your approach gives a better final result?

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan , 2010, 21:34 »
Looking good!

Graphite - I've used it to, it is especially useful when making a cast-iron look, I mix some into paint for texture.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan , 2010, 01:22 »
Hi Bill, I like the technique for simulating the slight flakey build up of rust often found on exhausts.  Another method is to lightly coat the part with Microscale Krystal Klear, which is just white glue as far as I am concerned, and then sprinkle baking soda on it while it is wet.  For tank exhausts, you can roll the part in the baking soda, but I like sprinkling it on as it gives me more control.  I think the technique gives a realistic effect to exhausts and mufflers. 

I do not do the above for rust which is caused by water/wear. 

Sincerely,
Ernest

Looking good Ernest!   I like your technique for the exhaust.  I have never tried to apply a pastel to a wet clear coat - I just applied the pastel and then top clear coat to seal everything.  Do you find that your approach gives a better final result?

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan , 2010, 01:24 »
Interesting Wink, I have never tried adding graphite to paint.  Something to try in the future!

Ernest

Looking good!

Graphite - I've used it to, it is especially useful when making a cast-iron look, I mix some into paint for texture.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan , 2010, 12:40 »
Finished painting the fuselage today.  Masking the tail was a bit of work, but the end result was worth it.  I plan to spray the gloss coat tomorrow.  I painted the prop with artist's oils.  The laminated look turned out ok, it could have been better, but it will do for this project.

Enjoy the photos,
Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #11 on: 01 Feb , 2010, 04:02 »
looks reeeeally nice
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz