Author Topic: U-94 Revell Type VIIC 1/144 WIP  (Read 6606 times)

bracco_n

U-94 Revell Type VIIC 1/144 WIP
« on: 11 May , 2012, 14:33 »
Hello everybody, as you can presume I couldn't stay away from U-boats for a long time so here I am. There's something in those machines that really drives me crazy. Besides, I'll be visiting U995 in august as part of my first trip to Europe.
But let's get back to the boat. I'll be building the Revell type VIIC 1/144 with Griffon PE (tiny!) and will try to represent U-94 after it's welcoming ceremony on 4 June 1941 in Lorient.

With the experience gathered in building U-1023 and reading all the fantastic WIPs here on the forum I expect to build a decent model. I've also upgraded my workshop with first class paints, tools, brushes, etc (I'm still lacking an air compressor). So here's what I plan to do:
-Oil can the hull
-Fill and open free flooding holes according to U-94's pattern
-Build the Pressure Hull as I did with U-1023
-Apply as much as possible of the Griffon PE set

So far I've already canned the starbord half of the hull, with all the flood holes correctly opened (and filled). This is the first time I used primer (Modelmasters gray in spray) and I have to say I'm very satisfied with it. It was a great help for the oil canning process. As you can see in the photos I decided to remove all the rivets as at this scale they wouldn't be visible. Oil canning was done using small pieces of sand paper and it took me almost a month to get this side done (it can be very boring indeed) but I'm very satisfied with the overall look. The PE parts were easy to apply but they weren't too small. Photos aren't of great quality but you can appreciate what I've done so far:

Progress will be very slow as I'm very busy with university and planning of my trip.
I hope you like how she's coming along and I'm open to criticism, opinions, thoughts or comments!
Cheers
Nicolas

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: U-94 Revell Type VIIC 1/144 WIP
« Reply #1 on: 11 May , 2012, 14:55 »
A great start Nicolas, I'll stay tuned!
keep up the excellent work!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 11 May , 2012, 15:48 »
Looking awesome mate, I too have been away for too long with other things. I am always amazed at the detail that you guys put into 1. 144 cos I find it hard enough at 1.72. Keep it up! ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 11 May , 2012, 20:33 »
Looking good so far, keep up the good work! 
Regards,
Brian

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4 on: 12 May , 2012, 00:37 »
I have no experience with building 1:144 models, I guess there shall be limits as to how many details you can incorporate. A small remark, it seems to me you make the anchor recess protection all around the recess, I`m posting a photo of the U 995 the red arrows indicates where the protection ends. Sorry to interfere I`m a 1:72 modeller.
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 May , 2012, 00:43 by tore »

bracco_n

« Reply #5 on: 12 May , 2012, 19:35 »
Hello tore. First of all let me tell you that it's an honor to have you here. I've been reading your thread without the opportunity to intervene since my technical knoweledge is very limited.
You are absolutely right in what you say, being away from U-boats for such a long time certainly made me forget some details. I'll try to remove the part and cut it out but it won't be easy, I'll try my best. By the way I'm also a 1/72 modeller, look up for my previous build U-1023 it should be in forum page 2.
Thanks for the input!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 14 May , 2012, 05:49 »
great start, and as others have extra because of the smaller scale!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

bracco_n

« Reply #7 on: 14 May , 2012, 20:19 »
I've now corrected what tore pointed out, will post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up tore!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #8 on: 15 May , 2012, 09:55 »
Bracco
It seems to me that you have fitted 3 manholecovers on the saddletanks. Normally there were 5 and to a certain extent there were a few different pattern. I believe one of the frequent used pattern was as shown on the posted picture below. The manhole covers were fitted in a recess so the surface was flush with the saddletank. When I fitted the covers on my model I simply used a soldering iron and and heated carefully the small brasspiece which nicely sank into place. I would test the heating on a piece of scrap material though.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #9 on: 15 May , 2012, 14:17 »
Bracco, you can see the correct layout of the hatches on the saddle tank in my PDF drawing.

bracco_n

« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov , 2015, 15:41 »
Hello everybody!

It's been a very long time since I last worked on this project, but I've now taken it up. At least until I travel to NZ next monday (for 8 months!)

The outer hull is now fully canned and most of the PE parts are in place. Pressure hull is done and I'm also finishing with the inner ribs. I've also opened all of the deck holes (quite scary!) and reinforced it with little rods.

At the moment I'm working on the piping of p-hull and adding the remaining ribs. I'll be doing the boat while removing a spare torpedo from the bow room so I can use the Griffon set. I've been trying to find some good photographic evidence of exactly what would be visible on the p-hull from the open deck plates as I believe that Griffon's set is quite flat on that part. Could any of you help me with photos of that part of the boat? I looked through my books but I can't find a photo looking down on the torpedo loading hatch.

Photos will be coming shortly!

Best regards

Nicolás

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #11 on: 02 Nov , 2015, 16:04 »
It's been a very long time since I last worked on this project, but I've now taken it up. At least until I travel to NZ next monday (for 8 months!)

Are you coming over for a holiday, study or work?

bracco_n

« Reply #12 on: 02 Nov , 2015, 18:16 »

Are you coming over for a holiday, study or work?

Hello! I'm going with a working holiday visa! I'll spend November-February working and traveling in Australia (with a WHV as well) and then I'll move to NZ to work and travel during March-June. If you like, you can write me to n_bracco@hotmail.com so we can talk!

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: 03 Nov , 2015, 16:38 »
NZ seems like such a beautiful place. I doubt i will ever get to see it in person, but from the images it looks like a mix of various beautiful parts of the world compressed into one country. One part looks like the Swiss Alps, another part looks like parts of Spain , another part looks like the tropical pacific islands, another part reminds me of Ireland. NZ seems like such a great place to live.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov , 2015, 16:42 by OldNoob »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: 04 Nov , 2015, 08:31 »
Nicolas it's Good to have you back! Eager to see the in-progress pictures. Will you take the boat with you to NZ or have you planned to complete her before leaving?
On standby
SG