Author Topic: Late U48 tower  (Read 2854 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Late U48 tower
« on: 23 Jul , 2011, 06:25 »
Hi, i finally decided to build my VIIB as a late U48 (on her last mission or immediately after).
Here's the checklist which i would like to submit to the forum for confirmation
Hull and deck:
-Oval exhaust hole:Y
- Net cutter: N
- "VIIC style" lateral Railings:Y
Tower:
-Wind deflector: Y
-Black cat +Snorting bull insignia: Y
-Lateral/external air trunks: N
-Teardrop-shaped fairing: Y
About the teardrop-shaped fairing, the only pictures i possess regard U46, U87 and U86 and don't show the fairing completely. As far as i can understand its top and posterior surfaces were angled and were not horizontal n vertical (see my clumsy red drawing on the half surfaced U86 turret pic below), is that correct?
U86

U87

U46 (pic of a little use, the fairing is smashed)

if anybody has some more detailed pictures or profiles (i haven't posted the well known U86 tower picture from behind, but i got it already), showing the ensamble periscope housing-teardrop shaped fairing, please feel free to post 'em.
They would be of the greatest importance and interest to me.
Back to late U48 tower:the number of grip handles ("ladder") should be 5 per side, with an indentation on the turret side over each handle at least this is what i can understand from the starboard side picture below:

is that correct? Another picture i found which identifies the boat as U48 shows only 2 grip handles on the port side of the turret, so am pretty confused but it probably refers to another boat or to an earlier period, since turret wasn't fitted with the wind deflector

Another question about an "indentation" found on the spray deflector, towards the starboard side

does anybody know what it is and if it was present contralaterally?
Last question is about the hatches on the outer turret of a VIIB boat: is it correct to render U48 turret w the pattern below?

The images below (and the ones above-posted) are all i got about U48, i hope they can be of help to the forum, other new pictures from anybody will be blessed and welcome. Am looking forward to buy the forthcoming book on U48 to see if there are new-unpublished  before pictures

thank you in advance and cheers to everyone!!
SG                                                                  
« Last Edit: 24 Jul , 2011, 04:24 by SG »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Late U48 tower
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul , 2011, 12:57 »
Hi SG,

I'll try to help with your questions.

Here are two photos of the teardrop showing angle -

As you can see you are right about it sloping towards the rear. Note the 2 machine guns on U 48.

On the grip handles, originally U 48 had 2 per side. Your photo with the 2 red arrows and the ice shows the boat just after the 20mm had been moved. I'm guessing this image was around January to March 1940 in Kiel? But by the time of her last patrol (with 401623 painted on) there were 5 handles per side.

The indentation on the deflector - I don't remember it being on the port side. Just on starboard side I think

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: Late U48 tower
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul , 2011, 02:56 »
Outstanding, Dougie, right to the point!
Exactly what i was looking for
Thanks sooo much!!
SG