Author Topic: Modeling Putty  (Read 1827 times)

sedgar2

Modeling Putty
« on: 13 Feb , 2011, 18:49 »
Progressing on Revell's !/72 Grey Wolf, two questions: what are you using for a thin workable putty for final finishing and how much putty is being used in the bow, seems I have lost one of the locating dowels during installation of the brass torpedo doors. How much finishing are you doing on the bow between the two halves of the hull? Regards, Steve

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Modeling Putty
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb , 2011, 04:04 »
For me,...

To plug holes I used bits of plastic and super glue (CA). This is stronger than putty. My fav putty is Tamiya grey, it's like a creamy vinyl paste. Squadron green is good, but can be dry and flour like. On one side I replaced the whole section of holes with new sheet plastic. Between doors/decks:

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/prog9.shtml
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb , 2011, 21:43 »
Like Wink, I use bits of plastic cut roughly to the size and shape of the area I want to fill, but often I use styrene cement rather than CA.  I find that it tends to soften the plastic a bit and make it more easily formable.  You just have to be sure not to use too much or it will dissolve the plastic too much.

It also seems to be good for filling in small depressions just by itself, and sands/files easily to a nice paintable finish.

As for the broken locating dowel, I often break those off intentionally anyway and replace them with bits of brass wire or cut off paperclips.  It gives a lot of added strength that helps when I make my models to be handled to demonstrate all the moving parts I incorporate.

sedgar2

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar , 2011, 10:16 »
Another question regarding putty..........What are people using to apply thin coats of finish detailing, ie. covering up PE install pieces in the hull. Also when losing small details due to putty and sanding, are these rivet kits able to cover up the butchery? Regards, Steve

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr , 2011, 02:26 »
I discovered Mr Surfacer a few years ago, great stuff - grey and white versions, in three thicknesses, it's like a paint that dries in 5 mins and is sandable. Awesome stuff, but you need laquer thinner/acetone to clean up, and you really shouldn't breathe any of that stuff. but it is a perfect thin "liquid putty". Instructions are all in Japanese, NOTHING on the laebl is English except "Mr Surfacer". But o instructions needed: paint it on, clean brush with laq thinner. sand in a few mins.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz