Author Topic: U Boot Werft scale 1/144: U-98, U201,  (Read 23942 times)

Seewolf

Re: U Boot Werft scale 1/144: U-98, U201,
« Reply #45 on: 31 May , 2010, 21:08 »
After cleaning it turns out already very nice. I think the next step will be weathering with oil and particels.

some close up pics

Seewolf

« Reply #46 on: 01 Jun , 2010, 15:00 »
Now I add some rust.... I like the front part but in the upper middle part i overdue it, small boat easy to overdue :D for the future I will try to let the rust be so weak that I can not see it from a 2m distance. That is than ok  for me.

Seewolf

« Reply #47 on: 02 Jun , 2010, 15:58 »
Hi guys, some small progress to report.
I soften the rust a little bit with the base color, drybrushed the revits with dark gray where rost is applyed at the surface. Found out it is not so easy to apply propper rost without the flood holes  :D The surface paint looks in reality better than at the pics, it is a lot of "life" in the paint. But next time I will mask some few areas before I use the filter ( just saw U9 here on the board, very impressiv painting :o).
At the waterline  i make the two stripes (black oil paint), after carfully looking to some pics, I saw i make same wrong. My stripes are just thin but they should be only thin in the beginning and in the end, they go more wide where the Satteltanks are because of the different degrees to the Water. I add then a dirt line under the surface with a dark grey (mixed black and grey oil paint) higlighted some spots with moving the brush up und down, than take a brush with black oil paint and drybrushed along the dirt line. after all I take the filter I made for the surface paint, thinned it a lot with water and moved the brush also from left to right along the waterline.
So far I`am now:

TRM

« Reply #48 on: 02 Jun , 2010, 18:09 »
Looking good Seewolf! :o

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #49 on: 03 Jun , 2010, 01:39 »
very good!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #50 on: 04 Jun , 2010, 19:02 »
Now I add some rust.... I like the front part but in the upper middle part i overdue it, small boat easy to overdue :D for the future I will try to let the rust be so weak that I can not see it from a 2m distance. That is than ok  for me.

Seewolf:

Like you I sometimes overdo the weathering, and most often the rust. Because it's hard to get a subtle rust effect I have taken to overrusting and then very lightly respraying the base color which softens the rust to an appearance that looks just about right. You might do a test on some scraps if time permits. I've been happy with this technique.

Nice job on your boat.

Don

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: 04 Jun , 2010, 21:06 »
The rust is VERY well done, looks real, but I agree: maybe the sailors could scrape and paint some of it

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jul , 2010, 02:52 »
hello,

just found this thread and have to say
I'm deeply impressed!! like that weathering, based on first hand impressions!!

thinking of cuxhaven I think of
  • german high sea fishing
  • deutsches u-boot archiv

and seewolf....................?
let me see..............
http://cuxhaven.kutterfisch.de/schiffsmannschaften-detail/6/seewolf.html

maybe I've seen You on german television?

;D ;D ;D
Sincerely

Ralf

Seewolf

« Reply #53 on: 22 Sep , 2010, 17:55 »
Hi all, at first sorry for my long absence.... had no time at all the last weeks. Job keeping me busy and I was long time thinking how to continue right now and than I lost motivation... I`am also in doupt that I have enough paint with me to finish the painting job. Wink you will receive a big order for decals in 1/144 the next days, hope you have enough in stock  :D
I decide not to change the wrong Satteltanks and also the anchor will stay on his wrong place... I`am afraid that I can not replace the revits in that scale. If I change the Satteltanks I have to do this job on several boats and it must look on every boat in the same way. Maybe possible with resin but I never work with resin or molds and stuff, maybe I give it a trial when I`am back on shore.
@Don
Yes that is a good tip, next time I will be more carfully with the rost and soften it down with a filter until it fits.
@Wink
The Sailors have receive the order for some scraping and paint job  ;)
@rabapla
Good gueesing  :D but wrong, I`am Captain on a deep sea fishing vessel working around Orkney, North Norway, Svalbad, Island, Jan Mayen, Greenland, Canada. And by the way Manni and Stefan will kill me when I visit them in the Skagerrak, they don`t wanna see me there  ;D I know them both very well, when I finished my quotas before christmas we will have for sure some drings together in Cuxtown  ;)

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #54 on: 24 Sep , 2010, 06:53 »
good to have You back!!
knew that Your's must be a different vessel, the pennant number didn't fit.
dr
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: 25 Sep , 2010, 01:34 »
Fair winds Seewolf! Thanks for the update!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct , 2010, 02:36 »
Absolutely exceptional weathering job on that hull Seawolf!

Cheers,
Ernest

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #57 on: 22 Oct , 2010, 12:13 »
Great weathering, especially on that scale!

Karel

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #58 on: 18 May , 2011, 02:04 »
Fantastic job mate, that loos like real rsj`s! What paints did you use with the salt technique?

Jawohl herr Kaleun!