Author Topic: U Boot Werft scale 1/144: U-98, U201,  (Read 23940 times)

Seewolf

Re: U Boot Werft scale 1/144: U-98, U201,
« Reply #15 on: 14 May , 2010, 17:35 »
After the Deck drayed I continue with a mix from black and white oil paint. The deck was originally made from an cheap light brown wood to prevent the deck from rodden in the early time it was common to use carbolineum. Than the deck was black, after a while, special at the walkways the Deck comes out dark red/brown.

Here together with an colored Black and White picture, I don`t know if this will stay final... but at first it looks fine for me.

I will post tomrrow some more pics but now it is getting late. And as you maybe saw in the first pictures I am a sailor and we never have weekends, in a short time my new duty starts will get some rest before. My internet conection is via satelite not very quick and often not stable but I am happy to have it. All information I have regarding model building is from the net, I am active in a german forum when I start last year model building. Without this guys my boat will look fore sure total different  ;D
Off course all comments or suggestions are welcome.
Cheers for now

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #16 on: 14 May , 2010, 17:43 »
Seewolf, thanks for making the effort to post all that, read everything and looked at every pic close - very impressive! I also love the stand! The effect is just right, and very clever, never would have thought a crappy stand could be turned into something so good! Your oil canning and paint are superb, and all this while on the ocean! Nice steady rock solid model bench - not! Axiusly awaiting more...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #17 on: 15 May , 2010, 11:30 »
Nice build. I`ll be regular visitor here.

Seewolf

« Reply #18 on: 15 May , 2010, 12:57 »
Hello again, thank you for the kind words regarding my boat.
@ rokket   it is no problem to build models at sea, I am since 20 years sailor maybe I will have problems if nothing is rolling and shaking  ;)
Only I don`t work longer with super glue and PE`s in stormy weather or deep inside the ice fields... made some bad experience under this circumstances  :D
@ Siara    your blog from the red devil was/is very inspiring for me to try many stuff and not to give up if something not work out. From your blog I was coming to this great forum.

Seewolf

« Reply #19 on: 15 May , 2010, 13:04 »
This is my first attamped with soldering

I have now a better soldering station with me, but didn`t work with it yet but I will try again

Seewolf

« Reply #20 on: 15 May , 2010, 13:35 »
Here I did my test for brushing and weathering, I use Metal paper to take a stamp from the model and than glued it on a piece of plastic

First red arrow means border between upper and under hull
sec. should be the waterline
third  some kind of dirt that is to see when the boat get lighter during the patrol

I must say surface hull is ok with the weathering ( I planed to build this boat just out of the box for training and get some practice with the air brush, without pe parts but to have a eyecatcher I planed to give her a hard weathering.... was for some time ago now I have pe from griffon  ::) ) but with the antifouling paint I am not so happy. It didn`t fit to the hard rusty surface hull. I just lighten the antifouling paint under the waterline up but that is not enough in my opinion.
I want to have it more like this way.....

..... but I dont now how to do that  ??? Any tips are very welcome

Seewolf

« Reply #21 on: 15 May , 2010, 14:02 »
After my metal paper test I make a test run on the spare tower, between this both tests I read the paint manuel from Dougie very nice and helpfully. But I didn`t had the right colors with me so  it is a bit to dark what  i was useing. But I have now the correct color with me, thank you Dougie for your great research work.

I just use the swordfish decal for training reasons, later on U-98 will have the snorting bull. If the snorting bull ensignia fits with the period I will display the boat... but I will think later over this issue.

I overdue it with the salt technique a bit, but what do you gays think when I do it more carfully at some parts... is it to use?

Seewolf

« Reply #22 on: 15 May , 2010, 14:31 »
The weathering at the tower looks a little bit rughly, that is because I didn`t had enough patience to let the different layers of paint propper dry  :D

One importent think regarding the water inlet...

This Inlet was only at the VIIc/41.... of course I found out after opening the stuff.

Time to come to the inner presure hull, I promissed myself to do this job very quick and very roughly because there is absolut no way to see it later on....... it is just that you can not see direkt throug the open flood holes.
Middle section

Made from plastic sheed and a very thin plastic bottle
Here I take a piece of paper to get the cut even on both sides

Seewolf

« Reply #23 on: 15 May , 2010, 14:44 »
Drystacked

Aft section

Seewolf

« Reply #24 on: 15 May , 2010, 15:07 »

And than I found in these site: http://www.u-historia.com/
Higly recomendet site, it is in spain but when you want to have detailed drawing plans of all german U-Boote you should give this site a try you will for sure not regret.

But since I have the drawings thinks need much longer time  :D
 Forward section

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #25 on: 15 May , 2010, 15:43 »
And than I found in these site: http://www.u-historia.com/
Higly recomendet site, it is in spain but when you want to have detailed drawing plans of all german U-Boote you should give this site a try you will for sure not regret.

Yes, great web site!!! Full of very useful information. I used http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to translate from Spainish to English  :)

Seewolf

« Reply #26 on: 16 May , 2010, 13:24 »
Hello Simon, good idea to use a translater  :D

Continue with the foreward section

I open also the torpedo hatches they are a little bit wrong and without revits in 1/144 scale.  And there is my next problem how to make revits in 1/144 .... I know this Archer transver revits in scale 1/72 but do somebody know what I can do for my scale ???

Seewolf

« Reply #27 on: 16 May , 2010, 16:00 »
Pe set is from Griffon
Looks like there are some small mistakes in the griffon manuel... off course I find out after glueing  ::)

Seewolf

« Reply #28 on: 16 May , 2010, 16:09 »
Two of the hatches I will build scratch, the griffon pe didn`t fit in my opinion

This hatch is ok I will use it, but maybe a little bit to big

I closed the wrong water inlet at the saddletanks, and opend the smal water intakes in the ph

Seewolf

« Reply #29 on: 16 May , 2010, 16:31 »
Now the starboard site, at first I marked the places for drilling

and the result

The big flood opening above the saddletanks is still not entirely open. I will open it when the ph is ready and I can put both side together. I am happy that i didn`t open it before because I think it will  break away very easy  ;)