AIR > LUFTWAFFE

1/32 Scale RoG Ju88 A-1 Build Log

(1/4) > >>

Greif:
Announcement:  You can all blame Wink for being exposed to this thread!  :P
I will be doing a build log of RoG's very nice 1/32 scale Ju88 A-1 - with a lot of aftermarket stuff and I invite everyone to follow along if desired.  I plan to build an aircraft that was assigned to KG 51, nicknamed the Edelweiss Geschwader, during the Battle of Britain.  Should be challenging and fun at the same time.  I will be posting some photos later today, if my spouse does not have too many "honey do" things to complete when I get home from work today.
Ernest

Rokket:
Good luck with the list of non model obligations!

Greif:
Ok guys, I know aircraft are not the primary interest on this forum, hehe!  However, I thought some of you might be interested in following along as I build Revell of Germany's big 1/32 Ju88 A-1.  I won this kit on an ebay estate auction for $36.00 which I thought was a good price - until I got the kit in the mail that is.  Upon opening the box I saw that there was a lot of AM stuff which upgraded good to outstanding!

As with nearly all aircraft builds this one starts with the cockpit, and it is big and has a tone of parts, about 125 to be correct, and that does not count the AM goodies.  In the following pictures you will see a before the build shot of the kit and most of the AM stuff, wow a bunch of parts!  I decided to keep scratch building to a minimum - actually I told myself there would be NO scratch building on this kit - but, alas I suffer from AMS (Advanced Modeller's Syndrome) and could not help myself.   :P

The pictures of the bare plastic mostly show general construction, I did drill out the lightning holes, with the exception of two.  There is a joining indent on the back of those two and I did not want to chance a fit problem later.  I also masked of the four panels on the pilot's floor as the actual aircraft had downward looking windows in the pilot's position.

Ernest

Greif:
Moving right along I have painted the base color of RLM 66 that I mixed myself and matched it to the paint chips in Merrick's book, weathering will lighten the color a bit.  The two rounded cables sticking out from the rudder pedals is a bit of scratch building to simulate the hydraulic lines.  For those who may be wondering I always prime before painting, Tamiya's light gray or white primer being my weapon of choice.  I then sprayed a black undercoat and followed that with the RLM66 base coat.

You can also see that I have started putting on the PE stuff.  For some reason Eduard painted the radio equipment PE RLM02 and the rest a darker color, close to RLM 66, but still too light.  I decided to use it anyway as it adds a bit of color to the pit and breaks up the monotony.  The lower floor was painted a nice warm brown to simulate the wooden floor that was there in the real Ju88's.  I also did a simple scratch build on the leather covered cushion a the rear of the floor as the kit did not have a part to simulate it.  The four light blue dots are the O2 connection ports.

Ernest

Greif:
The following pics show the IP which I still have to paint.  I forgot to take a picture of the rear on the IP as I had planned to show folks the prep drilling I did to install scratch built cables and wires, remember AMS!  I'll take a photo once I have installed that stuff.  The other two pictures show the progress of the weathering.  I gave the pit a wash first, really tough to see in the pictures, and then used some fading medium - made by True Earth - to lighten the overall paint and give a bit of a worn look.  Finally, you can see that I am using a silver artist's pencil to simulate chips and scuffs.

Ernest

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version