Author Topic: Rigging on Type IXC/40 (U-190)  (Read 1101 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Rigging on Type IXC/40 (U-190)
« on: 05 Sep , 2017, 12:22 »
I am looking for pictures of rigging for Type IXC/40 (U-190).

FRONT:

1)  At front of tower there were 2 anchor tabs where rigging attached.
        How did rigging attach to those 2 anchor tabs?
             a)  anchor tab -- chain link -- cable
             b)  anchor tab -- chain link -- TURNBUCKLE -- cable

2)  At the frontmost bow anchor plate, it looks like:  anchor tab -- clevis -- turnbuckle -- cable.
       Yes?

REAR:

3)  At the rearmost anchor plates (sides of the stern hull) behind the prop stands... were there turnbuckles that adjusted the tension of the cables?

4)  Were there antenna lead wires coming from the tower that attached to the 2 cables?   If yes, need a clear pic.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Rigging on Type IXC/40 (U-190)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep , 2017, 12:26 »
Hi Glenn,

It is quite hard to see details in every area of the boat. But I think that in regard to questions 1, 2 and 3 there was a turnbuckle in each area; this was necessary to adjust the tension of each cable.

For question 4 I can't think of a wire coming from the two rear cables. But there was a very thin diameter wire in front of the tower. Just like on the VIICs, the IXs had a very thin wire leading from the front jumping wire into a circular insulating conduit at the front of the tower. Do you know the photo of U 190 which has the Canadian sailor standing on the top of the tower holding both a White Ensign flag (above) and the Kriegsmarine flag (below) with his hands? In this photo you can see the thin wire extending from the front of the tower up towards the front jumping wire (it met with the jumping wire ahead of the splitter).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Rigging on Type IXC/40 (U-190)
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep , 2017, 08:18 »
Thanks, Dougie.  :)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca