Author Topic: Papermodel U 96  (Read 3962 times)

Subfan

Papermodel U 96
« on: 09 Oct , 2011, 05:06 »
Hello,

on my way throught the internet today i found a interesting site:

http://u-96.net

Mainly the boat from the film "Das Boot".

Downloadable files for building a 1:100 Papermodell an a step for step instructions with many pictures.

Maybe somone want to build...

cheers,

Subfan

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: Papermodel U 96
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct , 2011, 08:18 »
Interesting.

VERY good detail, but it would be difficult to build since the patterns seem to be scattered all over the place.  Even translating the Japanese, it's hard to understand what the author is saying.

It would be fun to try if I could figure out how to get them all to print out.  Seems to be 18 pages of parts in total.

Subfan

« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct , 2011, 11:01 »
There are 19 Parts +1 (u01 to u19 +blackvr). All are PDF.
The autor had print them out on self adhesive foil.

The pages about the building of them are not so difficult, because of the many pictures. Additional G****e had a very good automatic translator. So i can read in German.

Subfan

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct , 2011, 02:47 »
It looks like it would be incredibly difficult to build, being paper. Imagine trying to fix the deck to the hull :-\. It would be really interesting to see if someone would tackle it.

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct , 2011, 21:59 »
I don't think it would be that difficult iceonaboy.  I've made a few posts on another thread here http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=797.0 and this one I've got the parts printed off, but unfortunately on portrait mode, not landscape so I have a bit of extra work to get them to fit right.

You print the parts on card stock, which is thicker and stronger than ordinary typing paper.  And then there's a framework of bulkheads and longitudinal stiffeners inside to give it shape and provide a large enough surface area to glue the deck and hull plating to. 

I've built 4 paper airplane models using this method, and once they're finished they're surprisingly strong.  I'm pretty sure if I could find a lightweight motor and battery, I could make them into RC and they'd fly reasonably well.  I've been downloading paper model kits and now have maybe as many as 200 on disk, everything from tanks and halftracks to sailing ships, battleships and RMS Titanic.  There's also these two U-boats of course, and about 50 WWI aircraft and about the same number of WWII planes.

The specifics construction details of the paper model presented here by Subfan is different than the one I posted, but the basics are similar.  Subfan's model here is an early version, with the netcutter and deck gun, while mine is the U-999 at Luboe, Germany, with the schnorkel, but both models have some really interesting detail.

I've been researching paper model construction methods, and for ships and U-boats, they recommend painting/spraying them with a coat of varnish or urethane when finished, and with some ballast, they should be able to even float, although I wouldn't trust them to stay dry for very long.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul , 2018, 10:09 »
Wow, interesting link, still works. 

Did anyone ever download the plans and try to build one? 

Later Tim