Author Topic: Finished Photos of My 1/72 Moebius U.S.S. Skipjack (SSN585)  (Read 5570 times)

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
Fellow Modelers,

Below are photos of my finished 1/72 Moebius U.S.S. Skipjack (SSN585) fast attack nuclear submarine.  It was the lead ship in a class of nuclear-powered fast attack submarines first commissioned in April 1959.  These were the fastest submarines in the world, with a new “teardrop” shaped hull design allowing for speeds and maneuverability far beyond anything that existed at the time.  A total of six were launched, with only one being lost (Scorpion/SSN-589) in 1968 from unknown causes.  The rest of the class served very successfully, and were still considered effective attack submarines (if not cutting edge) when they were individually de-commissioned decades later.  Skipjack was the last of the class to be de-commissioned, beginning in April 1990.

This is a large model with an overall length of 42”.  The part count was small, but this is a very accurate model of the Skipjack.  It took me about 100 hours to complete.  The modifications and photo-etched after-market add-ons were kept to a minimum, so this model is close to being “straight out of the box”.  The kit fit together very well and had almost no warping.  The scribed panel lines are a little soft and deep, but they do not detract from the finished display.  For anyone who is interested in modern submarines (and has the shelf space) I highly recommend this kit. 

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Phillip1

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
Re: Finished Photos of My 1/72 Moebius U.S.S. Skipjack (SSN585)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar , 2016, 18:33 »
continued...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr , 2016, 23:21 »
She's a beauty! that display is great too - you've been very busy!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr , 2016, 20:13 »
Rokket,

Thanks for the compliment.

Phillip1

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan , 2020, 13:35 »
Fellow Modelers,

The original photos are being reposted using Postimage.

Thanks

Phillip1