Author Topic: Book: "The sinking of the italian submarine Scire'.."  (Read 354 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Hi,
I just got a copy of the book "The sinking of the Italian Submarine Scire', historical and underwater analysis" by Fabio Ruberti and am really enthusiastic about it.

https://u.cubeupload.com/SGm/IMG6589.jpg

The Scire' is probably the most famous and iconic italian submarine of WW2, a manned-torpedo carrier submarine, author of the exploits of Gibraltar and Alexandria with the damaging (temporary sinking actually) of the battleships HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth. The submarine was sunk by the Royal Navy off Haifa while en route to attack the Royal Navy shipping in the Haifa harbour.
The book is a real treasure of information and a feast for the eyes. It's the coronation of the titanic effort by the author, Dr Fabio Ruberti, notably the most important figure in the italian submarine archeology scene (leader of important expeditions on the wrecks of the Wilhelm Gusthoff and WW1 battleship Szent Istvan, only to quote some). It fully covers the story of the Scire', the circumstances of the sinking and post-war expeditions to salvage the wreck and recover the remains of the italian crew. Dr Ruberti not only has taken part to many of those diving expeditions, but also did an incredible research work at the Bletchley Park Archives finally discovering the british plan to ambush the Scire' through decrypted german and italian coded messages. Other very interesting gems can be found in the book, such as the submarine (indicator loops, H.D. Asdic and controlled minefields) and coastal defences of the Haifa Harbour with "then and now" surveys and 3D reconstructions of the Scire' wreck, a thorough analysis of the italian submarine warfare, the activity of the "Decima MAS" and the british efforts to counter the italian menace.

The 325-pages book is written in english and is richly illustrated. To me it's a milestone and a new classic if you are looking to complete your knowledge of the submarine Scire'. A highly recommended and a must-have book if you want to enrich your knowledge of that part of
sumbarine warfare in the mediterranean theatre of WW2 too.

The book is very difficult-to-get through the ordinary platforms but you can easily get your copy writing an email to: info@iantd.info , which is the official email address of the IANTD association, https://www.iantd.info/
Cheers,
SG
« Last Edit: 18 Jun , 2021, 11:13 by SG »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Book: the sinking of the italian submarine Scir
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun , 2021, 14:03 »
Hello folks, Below is a copy of SG's original post which he had difficulty posting. Enjoy his review -  Dougie
Hi, I just got a copy of the book The sinking of the Italian Submarine Scire, historical and underwater analysis" by fabio Ruberti and am really enthusiastic about it.
The Scire was probably the most famous italian submarine of WW2, a manned torpedo carrier submarine, author of the exploits of Gibraltar and Alexandria with the damaging (temporary sinking actually) of the battleships HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth. The submarine was sunk by the Royal Navy off Haifa while en route to attack the Royal Navy shipping in the Haifa harbour. The book is a real treasure of information and a feast for the eyes. It's the coronation of the titanic effort by the author, Dr Fabio Ruberti, the most notably figure in the italian submarine archeology scene (leader of important expeditions on the wrecks of the Wilhelm Gusthoff, and WW1 battleship Szent Istvan) fully covers the Scire, the circumstances of the sinking and post-war expeditions to salvage the wreck and recover the remains of the italian crew. Dr Ruberti not only has taken part to many of those diving expeditions, but also did an incredible research work at the Bletchley Park Archives finally discovering the british plan to ambush the Scire through decrypted german and Italian coded messages. Other very interesting gems can be found in the book, such as the submarine (indicator loops, H.D. Asdic and controlled minefields) and coastal defences of the Haifa Harbour with "then and now" surveys and 3D reconstructions of the Scire wreck and a thorough analysis of the italian submarine warfare and that of the "Decima MAS" and the british efforts to counter the italian menace.The 325-pages book is written in english and is richly illustrated. To me is a milestone and a new classic if you are looking to complete your knowledge of submarine Scire. A highly recommended and a must-have book if you want to enrich your knowledge of that part of submarine warfare in the mediterranean theatre of WW2. The book is very difficult to get through the ordinary platforms but you can easily get your copy writing an email to the email address: info@iantd.info , which is the official email address of the IANTD association, https://www.iantd.info/ Cheers,
 SG

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: Book: the sinking of the italian submarine Scire'
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun , 2021, 13:08 »
Thank you Dougie for making my post visible despite the trouble and for spotting the problem at the base of it. I finally managed to fix the text of my post and now it's visible again!
« Last Edit: 17 Jun , 2021, 17:41 by SG »