Author Topic: Atlantik bow - opinions wanted  (Read 3299 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Atlantik bow - opinions wanted
« on: 12 Nov , 2008, 12:58 »
Hello gentlemen,

I have a subject which has puzzled me for a while. Perhaps you may offer your opinion and tell me if I am taking nonsense :) The subject is as follows -

If we look at the particulars for VIICs and VIIC/41s we see a difference in length between the boats

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
Re: Atlantik bow - opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov , 2008, 04:24 »
Hi Dougie,

in the before mentioned K

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov , 2008, 12:28 »
It's a bit hard to tell with the angle of that shot but it does seem to be higher that the rest of the deck. What would be the reason for this increased height? Also where is the U995 at?

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 11:13 »
it's in Kiel, northern germany, baltic coast.
near to the "Marine Ehrenmal". mariners monument.

don't think the bow is much higher than the rest of the deck: photo's shot from below, the cheeks make for the "higher" look.

generally, some boats (U 333 and 377) where retrofitted quite often. but on my photos U 377 keeps the old bow right till the end fall '43.
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 12:10 »
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies, just what I was looking for! Rabapla is right that the cheeks make it look higher. But the Atlantic bow on the VIIC/41s was definitely higher than the rest of the deck. I'm not sure by how much, though.

And what about the bows of U 427 and U 826? Were they higher that their own decks?

What I'm really driving at is this: was the Atlantiksteven modification the same on all boats? Was the Atlantik bow on U 826 exactly the same as on U 995?   

Jan, thanks for pointing out the order date in the VIIC book. I have seen this order date and wondered too why it was so early. I think your idea about lack of materials is likely to be the answer. 

Thanks,

Dougie