SEA > MERCHANT/CIVIL

Propeller of Hermann Marwedes

<< < (2/2)

Pat:
It makes sense that on small boats there could be more than one different type of propellor during the boat's lifetime.  (Propellors for large ships are too expensive to change usually, but not so with boats that would have draft measured in inches.)

For my own boat, I have a 3-blade prop but most boats of this size have only 2 blade.  I'd love to get a feathering prop if I could afford it, which may or may not look different in a photo.

Many of the 2 blade props are folding, but some are feathering and 3 blade can't fold, so have to be feathering if you want to reduce drag.

I've seen some boats with 4 blades, but those seem to be rare.  Racing boats have 3 or 4, but the shape of the blades are quite different than regular props and they sometimes even change them depending on the type of race to be run at a given time.

The gist of it all is that with small boats, I don't think props are a determining factor, like some other things we've discussed, they can change over the life of the boat.

kklee6:
Finally, confirmed that the HM has 4-blade props.

Rokket:
excellent, feels good to nail something down!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version