Author Topic: Type VIIC Refrigeration Plant  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Type VIIC Refrigeration Plant
« Reply #15 on: 11 May , 2019, 20:49 »
Some more info from a couple of my reference books states that Freezers were introduced from the D version on-wards due to the extra space of the D over the C types.

HOWEVER the U570 ( a Type VIIC )capture report states that they had............
"A small refrigerator, combined with little stowage for food and a small galley, "

So as the report was done WW2 on U570 it would confirm a small Refrigerator somewhere.
« Last Edit: 11 May , 2019, 21:38 by Raymic1 »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #16 on: 11 May , 2019, 21:02 »
Also see some pictures of U995 galley area. Quite a few locked cupboards that I read somewhere may have had a small refridgerator.
Possibly though Post War.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 11 May , 2019, 21:17 »
Also see some more pictures from U995. A Type V11C/41
There is an extra cupboard that generally isn't on Type V11C drawings.

Although my drawing is from Westwoods book, I just noticed that this cupboard is WW2 as its on the U570 WW2 drawing.

This cupboard is opposite the 2nd Electric Boiler/Cooker which is the Large Silver Circular "Soup or Stew type one behind the door.
Possibly this is what they are referring too and there may be refrigeration in there?

Maybe Mr Tore can recall what this cupboard was used for as its just outside the Engine room?

« Last Edit: 11 May , 2019, 21:44 by Raymic1 »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: 12 May , 2019, 07:38 »

HOWEVER the U570 ( a Type VIIC )capture report states that they had............
"A small refrigerator, combined with little stowage for food and a small galley, "

Good Catch!! 8)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 15 May , 2019, 16:25 »

Ray - The best I have been able to tell is the cabinet in front of the WC is just a pantry/storage cabinet. I believe the U-995 "fridge" is where the original box would have been. I have found two separate docs that state the "Evaporator" (which would be the fridge) was located in the PO quarters. It has to have been on either the Port or Stbd side of the forward bulkhead. The opposite side would have been a wardrobe cabinet, I think. Isn't that what is on the Port side of U-995?

Now, where the heck was the Comp/Cond "Plant" located? It's supposed to be in the Control Room but I have never seen it called out on any drawing. I would think it would be in the general area around the Water Distiller as it would have probably shared the sea water supply, some going to the distiller and some going to the water cooled condenser of the "Plant".
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 14:13 »
So, to dredge up an old topic, I have a thought on where the compressor/condenser is located. While going through photos of a build on another site, the builder posted a photo of his interpretation of the compressor unit. He had it located in the Control Room on the Stbd side at the aft bulkhead. It was sitting outboard of the valves under the small stowage basket. It appears there may be a water cooled condenser in this pic. There is also a vertical motor. This location would make sense since the refrigerated cabinet appears to have been located in the forward Stbd portion of the NCO quarters.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun , 2019, 03:51 »
From U-Historia..... In the submersible, a refrigeration plant is installed for food preservation and ice production. It consists of a refrigeration unit, located in the control room, and a refrigeration chamber in the NCO room. The cooling unit consists of a compressor with its drive motor and condenser. The refrigeration chamber houses the evaporator. The cooling is achieved by collecting external heat by means of a coolant (freon), which thus vaporizes. The process is maintained, when the freon vapor is extracted, pressurized by the compressor, and condensed to liquid.

The side of the evaporator of the compressor, provides the low pressure required to evaporate the refrigerant, while the side of the condenser, provides the high pressure necessary for the condensation of the vapor.
The movements of coolant, from the condenser to the evaporator, circulate through a regulating valve. The valve maintains the constant flow of refrigerant and despite its double state changes, it does not allow it to vary anywhere in the refrigeration circuit.

The compressor is an air cooler, 1 stage, 2-cylinder, piston and vertical design type. Both cylinders and cylinder heads are presented as a block, which is screwed to the crankcase. The compressor is driven by a shunt DC motor with auxiliary series winding. The motor cover is protected against splashing water, and is resistant to humidity and to the inclination of the submersible up to 30
« Last Edit: 19 Jun , 2019, 03:55 by Raymic1 »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun , 2019, 03:55 »
Fridge
DC motorRefrigeration compressor
MakerBBC MannheimBBC Mannheim
ModelGS 5 a
Power0.5 / 0.65 kW (total input)250 Changes / hour
Vaporizer temperature -15

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun , 2019, 13:33 »

Raymic - Thanks for posting that. I have that buried somewhere. I tried searching that data online hoping to find a picture but to no avail.

Don Prince verified so detective work I was doing in regards to this annoying little topic for me. I am, by trade, a commercial HVAC mechanic as well as a history hound so I love old air conditioning/refrigeration equipment. That's why I have been trying to track down such specific info on such an innocuous little part of the boat. We still don't know what the evaporator cabinet looked like nor the complete compressor/condenser unit, but I have enough to make some semi-educated guesses.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. Now, on to the next insignificant detail that I can find to obsess on...

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun , 2019, 13:54 »
Here are the images Don posted in Tore's mailbox as well as a more recent pic for clarity. Anyone headed to Laboe in the near future? I need some close up photos!