Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576085 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4515 on: 11 Jan , 2022, 18:04 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

If you ever had a reason to look at the External Exhaust Flap Valve Casing on U-995; do you recall if it was a single cast casing or three (3) separate casings bolted together Brown/Orange/Yellow (See the drawings)?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 11 Jan , 2022, 18:08 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4516 on: 12 Jan , 2022, 04:52 »
Don.
I never checked it personally, but based on the general castings on VIICs I would assume such a complicated casting would be three castings bolted together. See image from a IXC.
Tore 

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4517 on: 12 Jan , 2022, 18:38 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Simon and I believe that U-995 would have had the three (3) Sectioned Exhaust Flap Valve Casing because it was a Type C/41 which could dive deeper (They also applied the same External Exhaust Flap Valve to the later Type VII C's as well). So, the Germans installed a shut-off valve between the exit exhaust casing and the 1st section of the Exhaust Flap Valve Casing. The shut-off eliminated any sea water depth pressure from applying excessive water pressure on the internal exhaust water cooling pipes. Remember they did the same thing with a valve to the internal fuel tanks with regard to the compensating water pressure. I believe that Simon has located the shut-off valve in the Diesel engine room upper pressure hull. These construction changes were made to the Type VII U-Boats in the late 42 to 43 period and beyond...

Regards,
Don
« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2022, 18:53 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4518 on: 13 Jan , 2022, 06:56 »
Don.
As you know we had 3 VIICs in service U995, U-926, and U-1202 the latter 2 were VIICs. U995 is VIIC/41. As far as I remember they were equipped with the same external exhaust system. The external systems were with two external main exhaust flap valves which had a double functions
  1. The outer main exhaust valve being a shut off flapvalve with rotating valvedisk for grinding off carbon deposits on the valve seatings.  This valvedisk was driven by a pneumatic motor in the engineroom with rod extension through the pressurehull to the outer main exhaust valve.                           
 2.  The inner main exhaust flap valve being a shut off valve with a large drain to the bilge, the rotating valvedisk could be manually turned with a wrench on a stubshaft outside the valve casing.
At diving the outer exhaustvalve was shut and the pneumatic grindingmotor started, as soon as we descended through the watersurface we got a sligth back pressure on the valvedisk. When we came deeper the grinding came to a halt at some 4 meter as the back pressure  created a torque larger than the pnuematiq motor could manage. A few times this grinding was not sufficient and we drained the leakwater down to the chamber in the inner shutoff valvecasing and further to the bilges. The deeper we came the higher back pressure on the outer exhaust valvedisk. I cannot recall we ever had to surface because of this system.
When surfacing you know we used the exhaustgases for residue blowing. As there is a limit as to the back pressure the engines can take, as far as I remember the limit was 6-8m wc . This was monitored by the engineers and you had a procedure for not exceeding the back pressure. For controlling the exhaust back pressure the outer mainexhaust valve was used. The low pressure residue blowing (exhaustblowing) followed a certain sequence by starting with the highest ballasttanks and as the submarine ascends further blowing the deeper tanks. A drawback with the pneumatic grinding was the increase of the atmospheric pressure of the submarine and a few time we had to start the E-compresor to get the pressure down.
Tore 

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4519 on: 17 Jan , 2022, 03:13 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Remember several weeks ago...  I was asking about the location of the fuel oil valve chest. Patrick came up with a photo of what looks like a possibility for the location of the fuel oil valve chest. Do these photos trigger any memories?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4520 on: 17 Jan , 2022, 07:31 »
Don.
 A few ideas crossed my mind. There is obviously a difference between the two internal fuel bunkering pipes, the port pipe looks like the original wheraes the starboard having a strange hull valve, the stb strainer is placed under the floorplates and look different from the originals. Having just a quick look it seems that somebody has modified the system to make it possible to bunker from the starboard casing side and  keeping the original port, why? it might be related to the original wintergarden which was removed. Below a simple sketch showing my idea of the current system.
Tore
« Last Edit: 17 Jan , 2022, 08:17 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4521 on: 17 Jan , 2022, 14:38 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I recall that you said that you never used the saddle tanks for fuel oil storage because you always had access to coastal fuel oil supplies. Did you use Regulating Tank No. 1 for fuel oil, or only the internal fuel oil tanks?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4522 on: 17 Jan , 2022, 15:52 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

It looks like the Germans changed the fuel oil side access. The first drawing is from U-570 launched in 1941, and the second drawings is from 1943 (They changed the fuel oil access side)...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4523 on: 07 Feb , 2022, 22:27 »
Hello Mr.Tore,

Patrick came up with a photo where it looks like the Fuel Oil Valve Chest is located under the step coming into the Diesel Room. Does this photo refresh your memory about the location of the Fuel Oil Valve Chest located between his feet?

Regards,
Don_

« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2022, 22:28 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4524 on: 14 Feb , 2022, 04:08 »
Don,
To me it looks like it might possibly be the valveconnection to luboil storage tank 1 and 2.

Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4525 on: 15 Feb , 2022, 01:54 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Below is what I was thinking...  Your Opinion?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4526 on: 12 Mar , 2022, 15:10 »
Hello Mr.Tore,

Question from Patrick....  Do you know what this is? It's directly behind the speed indicator. Is this part of it? I have seen it on many boats. On the right we have a IX Type Which haves the same.

Don_

It looks like it's a drain for the speed meter to drain any air from the speed measuring system because the air could compress and cause an incorrect speed reading...

Am I guessing correctly?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4527 on: 13 Mar , 2022, 10:36 »
Don, I guess so, On U 995 the pipes for the dynamic pressure which belongs to the Pitot log has its two inlets below the water line on port and stb side of the bow and the static inlet is at the fwd. end of MBT 3. Both pipes goes to the log box on the front of the control next to the fwd hydroplane operator where the speed is calculated and transferred as an electric signal to the repeater in the conningtower. I have a blurred image (Falos) of the installation below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2022, 10:39 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4528 on: 06 Jun , 2022, 00:02 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Well, I'm officially 81 years old...  I don't feel that old yet, but time will tell; Ive had two (2) heart stents and it keeps on ticking...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 06 Jun , 2022, 02:16 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4529 on: 09 Jun , 2022, 11:31 »
Hi Don,
Happy birthday to you a few days ago and hope you had a nice day.
Best wishes,
Dougie