Author Topic: deck guns  (Read 10177 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
deck guns
« on: 06 Feb , 2010, 06:03 »
Does anybody have a picture of the breech of the 88mm SchiffsKanone?  The Revell kit it's just a square depression, but as an old artilleryman, I know that can't be the case.

I want to drill out the breech and replace it with aluminum tubing and perhaps even make it functional using the breechblock lever, but I need to know what it looked like and if it retracted down, sideways, or what.

Any other closeup pix of the mechanisms might be helpful too.  I've already scratchbuilt the small wheels on top as I couldn't find any small enough to replace the desidedly UN-detailed ones from the kit.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: deck guns
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 06:31 »
Hi Pat,

Here you go-

The third image is from P81 of 7th U-Boat Flotilla by Angus Konstam and Jak Mallman Showell (Ian Allan, 2003). Unfortunately I can't remember where I got the other two images from.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 06:53 »
Check the gallery- theres over 60 close up pics posted some time ago.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 11:12 »
Pat, I also have a set of plans for the 88 if you need them.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 07:51 »
Thanks dougie.  that's exactly what I was looking for.  I knew I could count on you guys to come up with the goods.

Now I know what I have to do to make the breech look more authentic.  Not sure yet how to make it functional, opening it with the handle.  It's a pretty tiny piece to work with. 

I think I could make a functioning breech block in 1/35 scale but 1/72 is tough.  Anybody got any ideas?

Yes Snowman, I'd be interested in the plans you have.  All the drawings you've done have been absolutely terrific.  I've been using them a lot to plan out my build.

Just as I have dougie's pamphlet on drainage holes. Fortunately, before my computer crashed, I'd printed out dougie's research and so still had it available even before I found this site.  I've already filled/drilled holes in my casing and know of a few more that I have to do yet.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 09:36 »
Hmmm...does anyone have a pic of a deck where the deckgun has been removed???

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 11:07 »
Yes Snowman, I'd be interested in the plans you have.  All the drawings you've done have been absolutely terrific.  I've been using them a lot to plan out my build.

Will post the plans I have tonight after I get back, as now I have to go down to my house and start painting the insides ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 11:10 »

Jan, I have a picture will post it when I get back :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 01:46 »

Hi Jan

Here a picture with all 3 options i know of (Left - wooden deck; Middle - Hatch cover; Right - Large metal plate).

I have also one other picture of the 'Large metal plate' if I remember it a good clear picture of the plate. The picture was not on my computer so it much be in one of my books, I will have a look for it and post the picture soon.

Simon

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 02:06 »

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 04:00 »
Thanks Simon!  :)

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 07:01 »
Thanks Simon.

I think from the info you've posted, that I've figured out how to make the breech block actually open and close.  Unfortunately, it involves the handle going in the opposite direction to real life.  Just can't make things small enough to reverse it, so I may not try.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #12 on: 09 Feb , 2010, 03:47 »
no deck gun looks sad and lonely
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 06:54 »
LOL, how true rokket.

That's why I wanted to build a U-boat with a deck gun.  They somehow just look "right" with that gun up in front of the CT. 

Even if I did get the breech block opening and closing (in the reverse direction to real life), I'm not sure I've got a drill bit small enough to drill out the barrel of the 88 that's also long enough to do the entire length of the barrel.

But wouldn't that look good?  (Since nobody but an expert would realize that the handle works the opposite direction).  Having the block drop down and being able to look along the length of the gun tube and dight on the target?

(I actually did that once in Portsmouth, England.  I was on board M33 Minerva (a WWI monitor from Gallipoli that is still being restored in dry dock if you check googleearth) and was allowed to sit in the gunner's seat and traverse the 12" gun turret to aim at HMS Victory, and sight down the barrel at once was one of the biggest line-of-battle-ships in the world.)  That was in 1998.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 14:41 »
Pat, I have a spare Schatton metal barrel for the 8,8cm.  If you are interested in using it, let me know.

Ernest

LOL, how true rokket.

That's why I wanted to build a U-boat with a deck gun.  They somehow just look "right" with that gun up in front of the CT. 

Even if I did get the breech block opening and closing (in the reverse direction to real life), I'm not sure I've got a drill bit small enough to drill out the barrel of the 88 that's also long enough to do the entire length of the barrel.

But wouldn't that look good?  (Since nobody but an expert would realize that the handle works the opposite direction).  Having the block drop down and being able to look along the length of the gun tube and dight on the target?

(I actually did that once in Portsmouth, England.  I was on board M33 Minerva (a WWI monitor from Gallipoli that is still being restored in dry dock if you check googleearth) and was allowed to sit in the gunner's seat and traverse the 12" gun turret to aim at HMS Victory, and sight down the barrel at once was one of the biggest line-of-battle-ships in the world.)  That was in 1998.