Author Topic: Hull openings  (Read 8075 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: Hull openings
« Reply #15 on: 03 Mar , 2013, 10:32 »
 Gentlemen -
It would seems that to my artistic eye, there definitely is a shaft that Maciek points out, leading from midships, longitudinally forward and downwards, towards the anchor locker.
On each of the ships mentioned below there is an odd shaped shelf on each of the chain lockers. Perhaps that is where the chain cutoff mechanism is located - mounted on that shelf, and the very end of the chain is fixed there.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #16 on: 04 Mar , 2013, 00:54 »
Hi,
To make a bit more confusion I checked the u historia last page of forward torpedoroom, on last page  they are showing their impression of the anchorwinch drive with the chain stopper control inside  on the top of the pressurehull together with another rod drive.  The chain fixing point is unconventionally in the bottom of the chainlocker with no internal shedding control. I would take this arrangement with a pinch of salt, but may be a look inside fwd top of the pressure hull would give a clue to a possible controlwheel of the chainstopper clamp.

I have doubts about chain fixing point in the bottom of the chain locker, but these two driving shafts going through the top of the forward part of pressure hull make sense for me - I would say, one is for chain stopper, the second - anchor winch clutch (if I understand correctly, the capstan head and anchor winch were driven by the same air motor, and the clutch make possible to operate one independently to another).

Back to the openings, in the "U Bootskunde f

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #17 on: 04 Mar , 2013, 08:34 »
Hi guys!
I could not let the anchor go, so I studied this morning the material I had on the subject. My idea of the arrangement is shown on a primitive drawing I made below. The controls of the capstan and anchor winch are placed up inside the pressurehull just underneath the capstan.Most of the capstan and anchor operation can be controlled both from the casingdeck and inside the pressurehull, the anchor shedding (fixing) device can only be operated by the wheel from inside. The disconnecting of the anchor winch from the capstandrive is of course a must. I suggest  the clutch is outside the pressurehull and is a sleeve with the conical gearwheel of the anchorwinch drive keyed in a slot to the capstan driveshaft and operated by a lever, which lift and lower the sleeve and the conical gearwheel thereby engaging-disengaging the anchorwinch. The claw chainstopper is operated by a wormdrive as previously discussed. The movement of the coupling lever can easily be done from inside, but I have found no evidence for such arrangement. My standard reservation is still valid:  this an assumed arrangement. I never thougth I should be involved in anchoring operation! ;D
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Mar , 2013, 08:59 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #18 on: 04 Mar , 2013, 08:47 »
Tore -
Do you realize how long the picnic lunch would be if we all got together at Labeau? :-)
Your input is greatly appreciated!
Christopher

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #19 on: 04 Mar , 2013, 22:41 »
Tore,

I was thinking about the same arrangement.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #20 on: 05 Mar , 2013, 02:04 »
Maciek.
I guess we have found the final solution then. ;D
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar , 2013, 18:29 »
Gentlemen -
Since we have been recently talking about this - I wanted to share some pics of U-352 I just came across...
http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/WRECKS/U352/U352.HTML is the page.

labeled "Bow control machinery"

That looks like the chain controlling equipment we have been chatting about.
I am going to attempt to contact the diver who took the photo and see if he has, or will sell hi-res pics, or any others he did not publish. I am a diver myself, and may be able to talk him into it!

Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar , 2013, 01:16 »
Christopher.
Incredible light at a depth of 100- 115 feet and a clear view of the anchorwinch.
 Reading about the 2nd. patrol of U 352 leaving Bergen Norway for the area around Rockall recalls memories from an exercise in the same area some 10 years later being on board KNM Kaura (U 995). We were on the surface within the visibility of this unbelievable rock sticking up in the middle of the ocean with no other land in sight and I was up in the tower for a sniff of fresh air when I saw something which I took for a rock under the water, telling the officer on watch he was too close. He replied it was not a rock but a whaleshark having followed us for several hours. Whaleshark is the world biggest fish, quite sizable and can reach 17 tonnes. The following day the whaleshark was still nicely at our side and at lunch time the torpedo PO came in the wardroom asking the the CO: Sir this whaleshark has followed us for almost two days and we have discussed the matter in the PO`s mess coming to the conclusion  he is in love with us, so I ask permission to open the aft torpedo tubehatch sir.
Permission was not granted.
Sorry I couldn't resist this old mans memories. ;D
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Mar , 2013, 03:05 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar , 2013, 06:00 »
Permission was not granted.
Sorry I couldn't resist this old mans memories. 
Tore
:-) :-) :-) That made this old diver laugh sir! Thanks!
Christopher