Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 240483 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #135 on: 01 Dec , 2008, 14:25 »
Hi Siara,

You're doing great work as always. Really coming along well. The wire bracket looks great too - just like on U 995.

The parts you've added to the planes are definitely there on U 995. No doubt about that, and it is very good that you noticed them (I hadn't!). However, U 995 is a bit of a nightmare. There are several features of the modern U 995 that aren't absolutely correct for VIICs. So we have to be very careful when using this boat as a reference.

After her service in the Norwegian Navy, U 995 was a bit of a mess. She didn't even have a second wintergarten at this time. The deck, for example, had to be completely rebuilt. When the boat was moved by a very large crane in 1972 to Laboe there were a few small pieces added to the hull. I can't make out what the pieces were but they weren't there when the boat was in the Kreigsmarine. The pieces may have been similar to the parts on the planes that you have added.

On the few photos I have seen of VIIC dive planes, the parts on U 995's dive planes weren't there. I can't see them on the image below of U 821. However, I haven't seen many images. Maybe other people have images where these parts are visible? Can anybody help?

While we are on this area, the two red arrows point to parts that wrap around around the dive plane supports. They were on U 99 too. You can see them on the left image on page 25 of Steve Wiper's VII book. They both have a number of holes on the bottom surface.   

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #136 on: 04 Dec , 2008, 12:45 »
Thanks Dougie for your input.
I think i leave the brackets as they are, because it adds nice detail to planes, and we cant realy establish that U-552 didnt have them installed. My theory was, the brackets were used for fastening the planes when the boat was drydocked?
I cant imagine such small brackets giving advantage during lifting process.
This is one of the things about the U-boot build, that lives a lot of open windows for the modeller.

As to the supports from the picture- is it the same thing as on the picture of U-995? Perhaps the plane supports were bolted on?
There are some bolts visible on top of the supporting arm. Looks like it to me.

Im realy curious. Seems strange that with over 1000 boats build, there isnt one good picture of the stern planes. :-\

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: 04 Dec , 2008, 15:11 »
Hi Siara,

The image below is a poor scan of page 25 of Steve Wiper's Warship Pictorial 27 book on VIIs-

Could be a bolt. Does the blue arrow point to a bolt or a big rivet? I can't make it out too well.

The red arrows point to the parts that are also on U 825. They are quite near the prop blades.

The bright green arrow points to another similar part that was also on U 825. This one is on the front of the dive plane itself. Again note the position - directly behind the prop. Any ideas guys?

Yeah, it is very frustrating that we don't have decent close up shots of many areas of VIIs.  :(

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #138 on: 04 Dec , 2008, 15:16 »
Nice one Dougie! I will replicate it also. Thanks a lot for the picture. ;)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #139 on: 05 Dec , 2008, 15:55 »

;D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #140 on: 05 Dec , 2008, 16:11 »
Very nice, love the prop weathering and the PE additions
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #141 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 05:48 »
Rivets:

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #142 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 09:01 »
Detailin rudder:

Addidtional surface detail before it is painted. Only welds remain:

TBC... ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 11:50 »
Hi Siara,

Rivets look superb. Also love the new parts on the dive plane supports!

Before you get to the painting stage, do you know that the main drainage slot (the big one above the saddle tanks) was different lengths on either side? I've updated my free-flooding hole pattern article, which will be available soon. In it I show that the port one was longer than the starboard one. Sounds strange but once it is explained it becomes very obvious.

Would you mind posting shots of your model that show the free-flooding vents ahead of the saddle tanks (on both sides)? I'm guessing you've already fixed the starboard side.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #144 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 12:05 »
Hi Dougie.
This is the starboard side:

And port:

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 13:52 »
Hi Siara,

I hope you don't mind me posting the following. You are obviously going super-accurate with your model and I am only trying to help. I apologise if it is a bit annoying when I point some things out. I myself get frustrated sometimes when researching the boats to high levels of accuracy. It just adds on more and more little things that need fixed on the kit!

On the starboard side the main slot should start directly behind vent 25 (vent 25 being the 25th vent back on the top row). I have pointed a green arrow -

Now here is the surprising thing. The main slot started at this same location no matter how many holes on the top row (some had 18 others 25). My estimate is that 15mm should be FILLED IN at the front end of the Revell main slot on the starboard side.

On the port side the main slot should start directly behind vent 21. The green arrow points - 

Most U-boats had 20 or 21 vents on the top row on the port side. The main slot on the port side always started just behind the postion of vent 21. My estimate is that 11mm should be DRILLED AWAY at the front end of the Revell main slot on port side. You've already filled some in so it is very nearly correct on your model.

It should be clearer when you read the updated article. But just in case you are painting before the article is online I thought I'd mention it now so you can take a look at U 552 photos. Please don't shoot the messenger!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #146 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 14:05 »
Now i know what you mean:

Looks like im gonna have to make correction. The only problem its going to be the ribs. I can cut the slot to make it wider with no problem.
Im gonna have to come up with something. Thanks for pointing this out. Hope it isnt to late. ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 14:10 »
Hi Siara,

Very welcome. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #148 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 14:13 »
Let us know how you get on.

I will. BTW-following your advice i got rid of the loops on the dive planes to make my model more historicaly accurate. It broke my heart to bin such nice detail, but i thought- what the heck.....Cheerio.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #149 on: 06 Dec , 2008, 16:18 »
This is some great reading. When (if  :-[ ) I finish  my Gato the next on the list is a U-boat.