AIR > LUFTWAFFE

Eduard Albatros DVa Build

<< < (2/3) > >>

Greif:
I have made enough progress to post a few photos.  The first three are of the fuselage and the top and bottom of the upper wing.  The wing was airbrushed with MisterKit paints.  They airbrush very well when thinned 50/50 with Lifecolor thinner; I sprayed at the same 10-15 psi, that I spray Lifecolor paints.  The paint atomized quite well and left a smooth nearly satin finish.  The fuselage has recieved two of its three colors.  The silver color is ModelMaster Metalizer Aluminum.  The green is a mix of two shades of Lifecolor green.  I tried to get as close to the shade of green seen on Jasta 5 aircraft, and I think I got pretty close.  Tomorrow I will spray the red, which will be MisterKit Jasta 11 Red.  Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.

The next two shots show one of the Spandau MG's.  I used the kit PE parts, which include the Cooling Jacket, Cocking Mechanism and Trigger Bar, to detail both MG's.  They were painted ModelMaster Metalizer Gun Metal.  I simulated worn metal by brushing graphite onto the MG's.  Overall the effect turned out pretty convincing.  The final photo is a closeup of the exhaust.  I painted it a medium brown color.  After the base color dried I added rust using the following technique.  First a covered the part with a thin coat of watered down Microscale Crystal Clear.  While that was still wet, I used an old paintbrush to stripple on a rust colored pastel from Tamiya's weathering pastels.

Enjoy,
Ernest

Mr. Bill:
Looking good Ernest!   I like your technique for the exhaust.  I have never tried to apply a pastel to a wet clear coat - I just applied the pastel and then top clear coat to seal everything.  Do you find that your approach gives a better final result?

Cheers,

Bill

Rokket:
Looking good!

Graphite - I've used it to, it is especially useful when making a cast-iron look, I mix some into paint for texture.

Greif:
Hi Bill, I like the technique for simulating the slight flakey build up of rust often found on exhausts.  Another method is to lightly coat the part with Microscale Krystal Klear, which is just white glue as far as I am concerned, and then sprinkle baking soda on it while it is wet.  For tank exhausts, you can roll the part in the baking soda, but I like sprinkling it on as it gives me more control.  I think the technique gives a realistic effect to exhausts and mufflers. 

I do not do the above for rust which is caused by water/wear. 

Sincerely,
Ernest

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on 30 Jan , 2010, 14:45 ---Looking good Ernest!   I like your technique for the exhaust.  I have never tried to apply a pastel to a wet clear coat - I just applied the pastel and then top clear coat to seal everything.  Do you find that your approach gives a better final result?

Cheers,

Bill

--- End quote ---

Greif:
Interesting Wink, I have never tried adding graphite to paint.  Something to try in the future!

Ernest

--- Quote from: rokket on 30 Jan , 2010, 21:34 ---Looking good!

Graphite - I've used it to, it is especially useful when making a cast-iron look, I mix some into paint for texture.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version