Author Topic: Resin conversions  (Read 11245 times)

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
Resin conversions
« on: 09 Aug , 2009, 17:26 »
I have been looking ahead to a Gato-class build, and am very interested in the Wahoo because of all I have read about it. There are two resin conversions, one from Nautilus and the other from Iron Bottom Sound. Both seem to show the conning tower with the earlier closed periscope array. But the photos from mid-war show the "open" array with separate tubes for the two scopes, etc.

This is very confusing to me, and I was wondering what guidance y'all might offer?

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
Re: Resin conversions
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug , 2009, 19:07 »
No 2 boats where the same and even more so after each refit.
As the war went on they would make modifications to the boats.

The conning towers or fairwaters where cut down on many boats to lessen the silhouette.
It also helped with quicker diving as did the addition of extra openings long the upper structure.

The weapons would change or move, radars would be upgraded, etc...

You will have to decide what patrol you wish to depict her as, than research that date.
Keep in mind she's a Mare Island built boat where if your building the Revell 1/72 model it's based on a Electric Boat so there will be differences in the details of the hull especially the limber holes down the sides.

Eric...
« Last Edit: 09 Aug , 2009, 19:17 by Division 6 »

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 09:39 »
Yes, I am aware the boats changed. But IBS, for example, offers multiple reduced fairwater options. It's pretty tough picking the right one from the few detailed photographs I've seen of Wahoo. Is there a source of information for each boat that would show (or describe?) the modifications at each stage of the war?

I want to be accurate, but to a certain extent, I find definitive answers to this elusive. Everyone says, trying to be helpful, "it depends on which boat and when during the war." OK, I get that. But where does one go to get more concrete help or hints?

The limber holes problem is a vexing one. I believe IBS offers templates for correcting this problem. Has anyone used them and can comment on their success or failure?

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 11:09 »
There is no easy answer or quick find.
I've been looking for over 2 years for my boat of choice and only have under a dozen pix of her and a set of blueprints I just found.

The Wahoo is pretty famous so it should be easier to find stuff on her, they always seem to pop up when I do sub searches.

Places off the top of my head.
Google using assorted search words like WWII submarine, SS-238, USS Wahoo, etc...

NavSource
Google source:Life
US Navy
Through the looking glass
any of the U-Boot sites
Sub memorial sites
Veterans sites may have former crew members listed (from earlier cruises)

Floating Drydock may have blue prints, check in the G section.
Gato-Class Submarines in Action by Squadron has a few pix probably the same ones on Navsource and a side plate drawing.
Don't bother with US Submarines 1941-45, the book has nothing of use in it.
There might be some books Periscopefilm or torpedo junction.

Eric...

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:13 »
Floating Drydock has some awesome stuff, thanks.

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:17 »
Looking at the kits offered I would have to say that the Nautilus version is the later (time of sinking) version where the ISB are early and early cut down although with the cut down the shear covers should be removed.

Eric...

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:26 »
Thanks, that's helpful. The "Shoot the Sunza Bitches" photo shows the open shears.

IBS offers a PM and EB limber hole template. I presume neither would work for MI? IBS offers a Wahoo limber hole template with its conversion kits, but they appear to be Early War even model #2.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:29 by bill_c »

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:48 »
I just looked through my files folder and I have image files of the templates.

I think they are the pix from Nautilus.
They sell templates for the holes at the bottom of this order page.
http://nautilusmodels.com/orderpage-USA.htm

Just save image and print them to fit your boat.

Eric...
« Last Edit: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:53 by Division 6 »

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 12:59 »
"Just save image and print them to fit your boat."

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd feel a little queasy doing that. I want to pay for using someone else's work.

How does one use these templates? Is it "fill, sand and drill," or are the holes there at all on the kit?

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 13:42 »
The kit has plates for the sides that you could either fill or replace with sheet styrene.

Just make sure the templates actually match the boat before you buy.
Some boats had those modified as the war progressed.

If not use a printout as a basic guide and make your own matching the actual boat.

Eric...

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 14:00 »
I just compared the template drawing to the boat.
The front half may be correct but the back is very diffirent.
Looks like you will have to do your own drawings from scratch.

Eric...

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 14:17 »
You will also have to change deck fittings and correct the marker buoy locations and shape to round.
both capstans need to be centered (aft one may actually be a bit to starboard), shutters on stern tubes, escape trunk opening moved to port side, she had an under deck boat storage on the port side, flat style prop guards, front torpedo shutters are probably different.

At least you won't have to move the anchor to the other side.

Her sister ship was the Whale so more reference may be gleaned from her.

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 15:39 »
(Groan).

IBS has deck fittings.

Someone needs to write a book about the process.  :D

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug , 2009, 16:45 »
Sadly the only builds you see do very little corrections since most are oob.
Mainly because of lack of AM parts, one of the reasons I waited so long to start building mine.

Had I not started researching them I would have built as is not knowing the rich history of these fine vessels.
Fortunately the one I picked doesn't need to much modification, built a month ahead of the Cobia at the same yard.
I would love to eventually build other boats.

If I could find pictures and references it would be really neat to do one with the under deck boat being launched.

Every one is building the German boats because they are cheaper and smaller yet they go out of their way to make them accurate.
Tons of AM parts for the Gerry's.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug , 2009, 04:13 »
Wahoo was built by Mare Island I think, non Electric Boat, which means as Eric says, you need a new limber pattern. You can get a pattern and make them, but...AMP are working on a PE set so you dont have to do the work, with raised rivets, much like Eduard's, except ours will be accurate for WII and not Post War...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz