Author Topic: Full build report: Uboat XXI (1/72) – sunk and raised (years later)  (Read 12707 times)

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
Falo, it has been a pleasure to follow your updates of building this. Thanks. / Anders

Offline falo

• Admiral
@ SG and Anders: Thanks for your kind words Gentlemen. Will post another update in the course of this week.

Regards
falo

Offline falo

• Admiral
Prepairing the small parts

Meanwhile I prepared the smaller parts of the XXI for example diving ruder, pipes and anchor housing.

The whole inner structure of the conning tower was scratch-built. Picture "0053" shows (right corner) a part of the inner ct structure already with UZO and hatch. Anew I gave all parts a heavy weathering treatment. Parts like the rudder for example got the same painting and treatment like the hull halves: Hue "steel", "hull red" and "grey" and between them the well known hairspray layer to achieve the paint chips-look.

On the left corner of "0053" you can spot some inner parts of the ct (pipes for air intake for the diesel engines and rubber raft container for example).

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2019, 02:32 by falo »

Offline falo

• Admiral
Prepairing the small parts - chapter II

Some more conning tower related detail work are shown here:
- "Schnorchel" (snorkel)
- detector device
- inner hull of the ct
- hatch and UZO

The inner ct hull weathering was already implemented.

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2019, 07:48 by falo »

Offline falo

• Admiral
Conning tower completing

After prepairing of the smaller parts were finished, I was able to equip the conning tower with antennas, AA-gun towers, persiscopes and snorkel. The two attached pics are showing the effect of the weathering techniques which I have described a few post earlier.

Regards
falo

Offline falo

• Admiral
Further prepairing hull halves

Further work on the hull halves. The weathering of the halves matched now the look of the conning tower. The halves were still open, because at that stage of the building progress I was preparing the retainer for the planned sculpture (as mentioned before). You can clearly see that I had forgotten to stick some photo etched parts (for example the cut out for the Bold - "
U-Boot Taeuschkoerper" - so I had to add and weather them afterwards. As I said before, this was a undertaking with some discontinuities.

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 28 Mar , 2019, 09:58 by falo »

Offline falo

• Admiral
Weathering the hull halves: dot technique

The dot technique adds IMO more interest to monochrome colored areas.

It's  important to use oil colors for the dots because of the long dry time. So you have enough time to blend it in with White Spirit for example or a special thinner. Picture "001" shows the dots, it's helpful to use the full range of colors to get more variations. Picture "002", "003" and "004" are showing the result in different areas of the hull.

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 04 Apr , 2019, 09:08 by falo »

Offline falo

• Admiral
Weathering the hull halves: panel liner

I used a dark wash to accent the panel lines of the hull. As posted before I had varied the depth of the lines during the scribing process, so it payed off with different shades. Picture "0020" shows clearly that the later added anchor cover of the XXI did not get the same treatment as the hull halves because I had forgotten to glue it to the hull :-\

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2019, 09:18 by falo »

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Very Nice! 

Later Tim

Offline falo

• Admiral
Weathering technique: Salt streaks

From AK interactive I used the wash "Salt streaks for ships" (AK-306). IMO a very useful wash because it is dilutable with "White Spirit". So it was an easy process to get my wanted hull look. 

Regards
falo

Offline falo

• Admiral
Weathering technique: Pigments

Now it was time to add pigments to the hull and the conning tower. I used the "Lifecolor- Combo Set 7" called "Algae":

https://www.dersockelshop.de/farben-/lifecolor-combo-set-7-algae_lifecolor_spg07.html 

IMO a very useful set because the powder/pigments in combination with tinted fixer are very easy to use. Tinted and thinned white glue (using water based acrylic colors of course) will do the same as the supplied fixer of the set and you can adjust the hue to your own needs. In addition to it I made my own powder resp. pigments by using weathered bark from small limbs pulverized into powder. Equipped with such polychromatic powder I had a good basis for the next weathering step as shown on the attached pictures.

Regards
falo

Offline falo

• Admiral
Weathering technique: Pigments (part 2)

Hay Gents,

sorry for the long delay but I had to arrange all the XXI pictures on my old HD. So the next posts are more picture driven.

Regards
falo

Offline falo

• Admiral
Weathering technique: Pigments (part 3)

Regards

falo