Author Topic: AMP Waterline decals and emblem decals for Revell IXC U 505  (Read 2914 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Hello folks,

Unless you have been living in a cave you will all be aware that Revell has just released a Type IXC in 72nd scale. Apart from the issue with the decals, it is a very nice kit. We will be releasing waterline draft decals and replacement emblem decals for the IXC kit.

Here is a heads up about what we are working on at the moment -

AMP Type IXC waterline draft decals (K-72W)
Revell have included waterline decals but they are not suitable at all for a Type IX model. Revell's waterlines have two digits (like the Type II) but all Type IXCs had one digit on each waterline number. I am not sure how Revell could have made this mistake (a major blunder) but it renders their waterline decals as being entirely unsuitable. Some IXs had six sets of waterlines but Revell only included four (they missed out the middle section). I don't think these middle sets were on all boats but they were definitely on some. We have six sets in our decals.

We have designed replacement waterlines for the IXC kit and they will be getting printed soon.

AMP U 505 emblem decal
Another issue regards the red background on the U 505 emblem. Hoegel's book does intimate that the colour was red (which will be why Revell chose red) but rare colour video footage taken of U 505 when it was captured does not show any sign of red on the emblem. I assume Revell didn't have access to the colour footage and so they went with the Hoegel book. We will design replacement U 505 emblem (without the red background!) over the next few weeks.

Revell U 505 kit
Although Revell have made very obvious blunders with the decals, the kit is very good indeed. It is much better than their Type VIIC, probably beacuse there are so much more resources available now than 10 years ago when the VIIC was released. I particularly like the fact that the railings on the upper platform (not identical on port and starboard side) are depicted correctly by Revell. I am sure there will be a few faults (the weld seams are a it overdone but they can be sanded down) but overall it looks very good. Well done Revell!

U 505 Chicago modifications
Many of us will be aware that the VIIC/41 U 995 has been altered over the years and so we need to be careful when using it as a resource. The museum boat U 505 is the same. Having been outdoors for nearly 60 years, there have been post-war modifications and restorations that were not the same as the the wartime U 505. I am going to write a list / short article on the subject but examples of the modifications include the steps above the main drainage holes. These steps are NOT in the same positions on the present-day U 505 as when U 505 made her transit to Chicago. There are a few other drainage holes which have also been erroneously altered.

The reason I need to point this out is that we need to be careful not to use some of the features of the present-day U 505 for our model. The steps are a prime example. We could look at the steps on the present-day U 505 and assume that the Revell kit is wrong. Actually the Revell kit is correct and the present-day U 505 is not correct. Revell could very easily have copied the steps and drainage holes from the present-day U 505 for their kit (it would be such an easy mistake to make). However, Revell have not done this and their kit looks good for a wartime U 505. 

Turm IV
The one issue in the instructions is that Revell say that U 505 had a Turm III. Unless I am mistaken U 505 was launched with an original tower (with no lower platform), then had a Turm II and then finally had a Turm IV.

U 505 paint colours
The paint colours on the present day U 505 are not the same as the boat when captured. It is bound to be a subject of debate so I'll be writing a short piece on the paint colours when captured.

SAW72 decals

We're out of stock at the moment so we will get these re-stocked at some point.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: AMP Waterline decals and emblem decals for Revell IXC U 505
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb , 2014, 09:55 »
Hello folks,

The U 505 scallop emblem and Type IX waterline draught mark decals are both now available on our decals page -

http://amp.rokket.biz/decals.shtml

I've already covered the issues with the Revell decals and why they need replaced.

For placement of the waterline marks there is a downloadable pdf on our decals page. The shell emblems should be placed in the same position that is indicated on the Revell instructions.

SAW72 is also back in stock.

I am still in the process of writing an article about the emblems, colours and modifications of U 505. Sorry for the delay, it is no longer a short piece, hence why it has taken so long.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun , 2014, 13:37 »
Hello folks,

There is a new AMP article - U-Boat Waterline Draught Marks - to support customers who have bought AMP waterline decals. This can be downloaded from -

http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml

In the article there are drawings to show placement on Type IIs, VIICs and IXs. (Placement drawings can also be downloaded from our decal page).

The waterline marks on other types (eg Type XIVs and XXIIIs) are covered but not in depth. 

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul , 2014, 16:21 »
I just purchased the IXC kit but won't be starting for a few months. I will be keeping an eye on the store here to see whats new.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul , 2015, 09:30 »
Any plans for a brass or resin or styrene or 3d printed deck  with open spillways or slat spaces for the IXc ?