Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 112008 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #75 on: 01 May , 2013, 16:24 »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #76 on: 02 May , 2013, 14:17 »
Hi Simon

Must pictures of the T5 and T11 show them without the nose cap. Were these torpedoes fired with or without the nose cap?

I don't know what you mean saying "nose cap".

--
Regards
Maciek

The nose cap (it look like red Bakelite)?? which I believe was full with liquid??

Maciek, I was searching wikipedia today about the T5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7es_torpedo and it talks about two variants. Maybe this is what I am seeing in photo's, one without the "nose cap" and one with ???

There were two main variants:

A flat-nosed version which contained two sets of magnetostriction hydrophones.
    A round-nosed version which contained two magnetostriction hydrophones inside a funnel-shaped baffle.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #77 on: 02 May , 2013, 15:43 »
Natter/Maciek

What is the "key" shape cut-out in the fin used for?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #78 on: 02 May , 2013, 16:44 »
Hi Natter

How do these look?

Fig. 1.
Early War G7a.

Fig. 2. Mid War G7a.

Fig. 3. G7e, TV & T11(?)

Fig. 4. G7e Lut & Fat; T11(?).
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2013, 22:19 by NZSnowman »

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 03 May , 2013, 18:23 »
Natter/Maciek

What is the "key" shape cut-out in the fin used for?

Thanks, Simon.

Simon,
Not really my area of knowledge but I would guess that the hole is for a chain to slip through and the slot for a link in the chain to lock into, possibly for tie-down or hoisting purposes.
Regards,
Brian

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #80 on: 15 May , 2013, 05:45 »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: 15 May , 2013, 06:15 »
Hi Simon,

Maciek, I was searching wikipedia today about the T5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7es_torpedo and it talks about two variants. Maybe this is what I am seeing in photo's, one without the "nose cap" and one with ???

A round-nosed version which contained two magnetostriction hydrophones inside a funnel-shaped baffle.

That's right - first - flat nose version - 4E2 Storch - contained four hydrophones, while the second - rounded nose version - 25

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #83 on: 16 May , 2013, 16:54 »
Hi Simon,

That's right - first - flat nose version - 4E2 Storch - contained four hydrophones, while the second - rounded nose version - 25

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: 17 May , 2013, 02:46 »
Hi Simon,

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #85 on: 28 May , 2013, 07:34 »
Hi Simon

Were all the torpedo tubes made in the same factor, and then shipped to the different shipyards? If this was the case, you could imagine it was easier to make all the changes in one factor for the non-mine layer tube for the late war Type VIIC

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jul , 2013, 12:38 »
Time flies... it's been a while since my last visit - trying to catch up :-)

Natter, how does this look below? I added a guiding pin/guide and the piston.
Looking good to me.

Also was the fin only extended while turning or was it extended the whole time?
Only during turns (controlled by the gyroscope)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #87 on: 12 Jul , 2013, 12:51 »
Hi, I was reading one of the best christmas presents ever received and found some exotic torpedo warheads that u might find interesting. Picture was taken at the main Kriegsmarine torpedo storage tunnel in Brest. Am sure that many of you will like this unusual warhead painting scheme, just like i do!!
I have seen several photos of storage-areas like this in the U-Boat bunkers and Torpedoarsenals in France (and Netherlands i think). It's annoying, but so far, I have not been able to determine what type of torpedoes this is...
There is information indicating some sort of cooperation between Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe in terms of torpedo storage and maintenance (at least in the early days, before Luftwaffe established their own organisastion) and at the end of the war, were resources was utilized for a common goal). Ie: This could be luftttorpedoes (some are very similar to the F5b). Hard to tell if this is 45cm or 50/53cm torpedoes though. My only other suggestion for a german torpedo would be older Schwartzkopf models like the C35, but it's very unlikely that these would have been in service at this point.

The heads are most certainly exercise-heads, painted in different "high visibility" patterns (making it more easy to spot the torpedo after it has run out the set distance). These patterns are not according to regulation though - suggesting very early days or lufttorpedoes (not sure what regulations they had, but all photos I have seen shows the same pattern as Kriegsmarine).

Regarding the type of torpedoes: There's also the option of this being "beutewaffe", and as this is in Brest: French torpedoes (which I'm not familiar with). If I would have to make a choice, my bet would be the latter.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jul , 2013, 13:02 »
It is just me but as a former ammunition handler, I get tweaky seeing the unprotected propellor blades of these torpedoes...
I'm not sure what kind of protection you are refering to (for stopping the propeller turning, or protect the sharp edges?). Neither would have any influence on the safety in regards to the explosives (germans had strict rules, keeping warheads and pistols stored separately).

The propellerblades were quite sharp (I've been cut more than once...), but as far as I know there were no protection for this. Also, I have never seen any "stopper" for the G7e propellers, like the ones for the G7a. Could be that the electric motor was secured in another way, so this wasn't as cruical for the electric torpedoes? On the G7a, this would be more important, as there would usually be some residual pressure in the engine and pipes, risking the propeller doing 1-2 turns if they were pushed by accident.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jul , 2013, 13:06 »
Most pictures of the T5 and T11 show them without the nose cap. Were these torpedoes fired with or without the nose cap?
If you by "nose cap" mean the "storch", then of course they were fitted (this was the passive hydrophone seeker). However, there was a protective cap covering the front of the seeker for storage and handling, and this was of course removed before loading the torpedo.