Author Topic: Forrest Sherman Class USS John Paul Jones DD932 from the 1/319 Revell kit  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Greetings!

This is the classic Revell kit of the Forrest Sherman Class destroyer John Paul Jones DD-932.  Not certain of the scale, but often reported as 1/319. First issued in the 1950's, I built DD932 USS John Paul Jones as she appeared in early 1956 using a reissued version of the kit (USS Forrest Sherman kit #H-463 from 1972). This old kit from Revell has some very nice detail, but is also very crude in several areas.  Despite its problems, the kit does capture the overall sleek lines of this warship.  A large amount of scratch building and modification of the kit parts was required along with use of photo etch from various sets (primarily the original version of the Gold Medal Models 1/350 modern USN set) and many items from the spares bin. Finish included Floquil and Testors enamels, Krylon gloss clear, a black wash, and flat Krylon clear. UNI-Caenis 20 was used for the rigging. References included photos from several sources, especially a series of excellent images from NAVSOURCE and expert assistance from Rick E. Davis.   Your questions and comments are always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 02 May , 2018, 07:37 by Mr. Bill »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Such a beauty! Well done I like it!!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Greetings!

All of the links for the images I posted on this topic have now been edited and are working properly.

For some reason postimage.org was recently blocked for a domain definition problem and had to change to postimag.cc

The result is all images hosted by the old URL will not resolve properly.  I had to go through every image link, one by one, and edit ".org" to ".cc"

If anyone notices any images that I may have missed on this topic, please let me know.  I will have to eventually go through all of my other forum posts and edit those image links also.

Many Thanks,

Bill

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Mr Bill 
I'm a mod on another site and due to this that many pics have been lost. Most of the time I or a very few other folks try, try to pick up the pieces and post what pics we can to restore things. You, Sir have done that yourself for this website. WAY TO GO! Thanks. 
For myself I always enjoy seeing your work. You have done a great job with your painting which highlights the small detail on this ship. Your pics are also well done. That is from someone who has taken several thousand photos and knows good pics.   
Thanks Again. 

Later Tim

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Hi Tim,
Many thanks for your kind words!  As you probably already know, it takes quite a few photos to get just one good one.  Over the years it has become easier for me as my experience expands and previous mistakes are avoided (most of the time!).  Some of my early work was dismal . . . . . . .

Cheers,
Bill

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Bill 
On photos I've shot everything from indoor Gymnastics to outside track and field. From huge areas to detail pics like the above. Changed from 35mm to digital with a lot of cameras in between. Also a few different lighting systems. 
You are doing a great job with your model pics. 

Later Tim