Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 240211 times)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #150 on: 07 Dec , 2008, 03:58 »
This is some great reading. When (if  :-[ ) I finish  my Gato the next on the list is a U-boat.

Good thinking Wildspear. Hope to see the WIP here, on AMP forum. ;)

I managed to drill the slot, and install the missing ribs. It took a while. ::)

Hope it is right now.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: 07 Dec , 2008, 06:05 »
Hi Siara,

Excellent, looks perfect now. Sorry to have caused more work for you.  :)

Taking the loops off the dive planes must have been difficult for you. I've looked again and I think the brackets and other bits were added before U 995's move to Laboe. I'm guessing the other bits were removed...and they forgot to remove the dive plane brackets.

They also forgot to put the Balkongerat back on. It was there during the initial phase of the boat's move to Laboe in late 1971. But in March 1972, when the boat was postioned at Laboe, it was missing. Where did the Balkongerat go? It is a bit big to lose!

There are quite a few features of U 995 that aren't right. The exhaust outlet shroud that was put on during the restoration was an early VIIC style - U 995 never had it. Then there are some small groups of vents on the casing above the saddle tanks. They weren't there when the boat was moved to Laboe and didn't feature on the wartime U 995. There are now only 3 holes near the bow (well above the torpedo doors) rather than the correct 12 the boat had in 1972. And some sort of triangular support has appeared on the deck right next to the bow. Another similar one is on the deck next to the stern.

In recent years they have closed off all of the vents around the torpedo doors. This is likely to help protect the boat from corrosion. But it is a shame - the bow just doesn't look right.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #152 on: 07 Dec , 2008, 06:17 »
Hi Siara,
Excellent, looks perfect now.

Thanks Dougie. ;D
You right- in total the U-995 looks bit sad, and doesnt represent much in reference material. Im just glad it is there at all, as the only surviving / whole / type VII in the world.

BTW: Whats happening to the Birkenhead boat? Any news when the boat exhibition will open? Even tho it is now cut to 5 piecess id still like to visit it. I never had the chance to see the U-boat in RL, the only time i vent to Liverpool the boat was in the cutting process. :'(

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: 07 Dec , 2008, 07:15 »
Hi Siara,

Not sure about the Liverpool boat. It will be good to see it whenever it is open to the public. At least U 995 is in one piece. It is a dreadful shame the U 534 was cut up. :'(

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #154 on: 14 Dec , 2008, 15:27 »
Started work at 7 in the morning, and finished sanding, and riveting the bow at 22.18. :D
I get funny looks from my wife now. ;D

Good thing is i have the whole bow ready for doublers now.

TBC...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #155 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 00:12 »
Looking good! Don't worry about the funny looks from the wife. They can be strange creatures
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #156 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 03:11 »
well, not much funnier than folks running around in T-shirts with "I like u-boats" written on it...............
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #157 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 07:01 »
   WINK ...THAT LAST REMARK SOUNDS A LITTLE BIT ENVIOUS TO ME..

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #158 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 09:26 »
Dougie...Is lengthening the slot above the saddle tank pretty much needed on all boats, or just noted on u-552 and that batch in particular.. ?

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #159 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 12:00 »
Continuing with the doublers:

TBC....

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 13:44 »
Hi Siara,

Love the doublers, they look great.

Bill, the lengthening of the slot on one side and shortening on the other side needs to be done for ANY VIIC, regardless of batch or number. I'll cover this in more detail in my updated Type VIIC free-flooding vent patterns article. The updated pdf will be available soon...but we're tending to Type II PE business first.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #161 on: 17 Dec , 2008, 15:19 »
In order to make the bow planes move in the dependent fashion i produced the 1mm brass rod:

TBC...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #162 on: 18 Dec , 2008, 01:09 »
Are you building a bunker and yard crew, too?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #163 on: 18 Dec , 2008, 01:33 »
Are you building a bunker and yard crew, too?
Maybe one day- my place is not big enough for such project at the moment.  :-)
I will have crew manning the 88mm gun, and watch scentry on conning tower deck.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #164 on: 18 Dec , 2008, 03:48 »
The rigging stuff just arrived, and im very impressed.
It is exactly what i was looking for. Size ranges from 0,18mm- 0,6mm in 10m lengths.

Bought at the Modellingtimbers internet shop for nautical modellers.

Short description:
"Egyptian cotton is noted through out the world as one of the finest cottons available. We are proud to be able to offer our customers this fine material for modelling purposes. All the following threads are 100% Egyptian cotton and are unbleached  natural colour should you wish to dye them. The material has very low lint characteristics with a unique linen finish.

This material is over 30 years old and it can never be produced again. It's quality has to be seen to be believed. Made in Lancashire this material is renowned for its quality and was long thought to have disappeared, luckily the company that supplies us has found this treasure hiding in there stock room. Stock they did not even know they had it's so long since anybody has seen it! To that end we have now bought all the stock so as to be able to share this with fellow modellers."
« Last Edit: 18 Dec , 2008, 03:50 by Siara »