Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 239966 times)

Ostach

Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #615 on: 07 Dec , 2009, 17:13 »
On these photos you have some details of the stern.

There is no trace of the mentioned instalation. Having analyzed drawings in my monography I think that those wires were only on the newer boats. But it's only an assumption. Notice that bollards are not in the right angle with the deck. Details of the dismantled rear positiong light are also visible.

Hope it helps in any way.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 08 Dec , 2009, 00:20 by Ostach »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #616 on: 07 Dec , 2009, 23:32 »
Hi Siara

I have few good pictures of the rigging but I not 100% sure that you are looking that. Are you looking at the small wire that ran along the rigging?

Simon

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #617 on: 08 Dec , 2009, 00:44 »
Hi Siara
 Are you looking at the small wire that ran along the rigging?

Simon

Yes- the ladder sort of thing.

Ostach- nice shots. What boat is it?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #618 on: 08 Dec , 2009, 01:12 »
Hi Siara

I imagine you have see these before but here goes :) Happy viewing.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #619 on: 08 Dec , 2009, 01:30 »
Good work Simon. ;)

The wiring im on about is clearly seen here on the left wire:

From what i can see, the ladder sort of thing wasnt there all the time, and quiet possibly was clipped on when moored.
i wonder if Dougie can shed some light on the matter.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #620 on: 08 Dec , 2009, 01:38 »
I see it now ;D

It looks like it only on the port rigging :-\ The wire in the picture looks thicker and darker! Could it be a power cord ???

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: 08 Dec , 2009, 13:02 »
Hi guys,

There were extra wires just behind the tower - on the post side only - on the VIIAs, the early VIIBs (U 47 and U 99), and the very earliest Germaniawerft VIICs (U 93 to U 98). All the other VIICs didn't have them in this location. I covered it very briefly on page 30 of my VII modifications article. I'm not sure on their purpose.

Siara, well done on noticing them at the rear of that Meditteranean boat. I haven't seen these extra wires at the rear of the jumping wire before. Perhaps it was a Meditteranean feature?

U 552 did NOT have the extra wires near the tower. I presume U 552 did not have them at the rear of the port jumping wire either.   

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #622 on: 08 Dec , 2009, 13:31 »
Thats cleared it. ;)
Thanks for advice Dougie.

In the way glad that U-552 didnt have them, because i can now finish the boat this year. ;D
But on the other side- its nice feature, and if someone is making one of this boats you mentioned Dougie its well worth the effort, as it would look so cool.

UrpoK

« Reply #623 on: 09 Dec , 2009, 13:18 »
Hi guys,

Could those extra wires be radio antennas?
Vesikko had such antennas fastened in port rigging.

What do you think?

Timo

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #624 on: 09 Dec , 2009, 15:11 »
Hi guys,

Could those extra wires be radio antennas?
Vesikko had such antennas fastened in port rigging.

What do you think?

Timo

Im not sure. All the shots of the extra wires, are of the boats in ports- why only in ports?
Besides- type seven had its own radio designated loop on starboard side of the CT.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #625 on: 09 Dec , 2009, 21:51 »
I was looking for some pictures today and came across this:

U-52

&

From U-56 & U-60 you are clearly see the wire going into the CT  :)

U-100

U-102

From U-570. Does is look like the very thin wire on the starboard side :-\ There are very good picture of it on page 17 from Anatomy of the Ship - The Type VII U-Boat

Picture from http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Photo3.htm

Other pictures from http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149950

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: 11 Dec , 2009, 15:27 »
Hi gents,

Good shots, Simon, we can clearly see the extra wires on the Type IIs and VIIBs.

There is something on the starboard jumping wire of U 570 on page 17 of Westwood's book (at the very edge of the photo). This may relate to an attachment point - or a pair of attachment points - that was on a few boats; it was positioned a foot or two behind the rear tensioner on the starboard jumping wire. The German sometimes used this attachment point to hang a yellow warning plate. This plate had a lightning flash to warn of the danger of electrical current that could sometimes be present through the jumping wire. Now and again boats in port would have the warning plate present.

Or the Royal Navy might have put it there as the photo was taken after the capture of the boat.

Siara, the Meditteranean boat you posted a photo of is U 73 in La Spezia. U 73 was a VIIB launched in July 1940. Given the early-ish date we might guess that the extra wires on the port wire might be a VIIB (and very early VIIC) feature. But U 73 didn't have these wires when commissioned. So instead they may just be a Meditteranean feature? Note that U 73 did have a Mittelmeerturm (med tower) when in La Spezia.

Cheers,

Dougie

UrpoK

« Reply #627 on: 12 Dec , 2009, 14:13 »
Hi!

I know very little about radio devices of Type VII.
So I can

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #628 on: 20 Dec , 2009, 13:10 »
Hi all.
Im so happy with my soldering today i thought i share it with You all.

More pics, and full story here:
http://u-552.blogspot.com/

This is the part of the project where it can be either done or destroyed. Im glad im past it, to be honest it wasnt that bad with the right tools.

Hope You guys like her, and be kind please. ;)

Siara

Siara:

I need some help with using the Koki soldering paste. I've run into two problems and anticipate a third one..

#1) After taping some trial pieces of copper wire to a ceramic tile I heat the joint with a torch or iron and then apply the paste to the joint with a toothpick. Either the paste does not 'silver up' to bond the joint or I get an unsightly blob of solder at the joint which ,I assume, means I've used too much paste. (?) Less than that doesn't bond, however.

#2) When I try to add more than one piece to the trial wire the adjacent joint melts.

#3) When you are soldering tiny pieces to styrene, say like the foot rings at the base of the scope how do you prevent the styrene from melting?

If you have any tips on how to correct these problems I'd appreciate hearing them.
(Keep in mind that I have only soldered once or twice in my life, and never with success)
Perhaps if time permits, you could walk me through a few simple constructions you've done so that I can try to duplicate them using your expert advice. I'd really like to master this as it has defeated me in all past attempts. Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

All the best to you and your family during the holiday season.

Don

warnster68

« Reply #629 on: 20 Dec , 2009, 18:06 »
Hi Don,
I'm certainly not going to anticipate what Siara is going to say....I actual wish /hope he'll post a "technique's" blob so we can see samples like the on you're asking about....but, I've taken Siara's examples and have done some soldering as described and all joined nice and firm. 

The only thing I see you doing differently if that you are applying the Koki paste after you have headed the two joints. 
Correct me if I'm wrong but the joints and paste should be applied / joined cold and all together, then the whole thing is heated until the paste "melts and flow" around joint. 
Maybe try that. ??
Warnster68