Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 239814 times)

Don in Cincinnati

Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #600 on: 23 Nov , 2009, 15:57 »
Thanks for the info Don. It's especially nice to point out that scary things aren't always scary!

It's an odd thing about modeling, Rokket, but almost every task I ever thought would be difficult turned out to be fairly easy. Strangely, everything I thought would be a snap, proved to be much harder and took a lot longer than I could have ever imagined.

At first I thought this was a passing phenomenon, but a three year diorama I did of the Krupp U-boat construction site at Kiel proved my right time after time. I can't account for this and often wonder if it is true for other modelers? It is holding true for my U96 build, so it must have some validity. (For me, at any rate.) This should not be considered as a complaint, per se, merely an observation.

I'll still wonder why.

Don

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #601 on: 24 Nov , 2009, 04:33 »
self fulfilling prophecy?

when You think it will be easy, You just start.
when You think it's gonna be difficult, You prepare Yourself more?
Sincerely

Ralf

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #602 on: 24 Nov , 2009, 13:05 »
self fulfilling prophecy?

when You think it will be easy, You just start.
when You think it's gonna be difficult, You prepare Yourself more?

I'd never thought of that, but it makes sense. Thanks.

Don

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #603 on: 27 Nov , 2009, 19:16 »
Hmmmm...interesting, thanks Guys!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #604 on: 03 Dec , 2009, 13:24 »
Hmmmm...interesting, thanks Guys!

Just a note to let you all know the Koki Japanese soldering paste recommendd by Siara arrived in the USA from the Poland source just 13 days after order was placed. Considereing that we here in the colonies had a holiday in the middle, (Thanksgiving) and two sundays, I think it made good time.

Based on my experience I can recommend the Polish source without reservation. The whole transaction was by credit card.

Siara:

How about a little primer on how to best use the product? (Begin with how to open the tube. I know that sounds silly but there are no instructions ) I am a ways off from any real soldering work, but would like to do a few tests. (I got the Dremel soldering iron you recommended, as well.)

U96 is still in two halves with more work to do before joining, but with a heartstopping moment. While doing cleanup details on the hull I accidently put my thumb through the drilled out lower bow vent holes which left it looking like a broken window; a frame with jagged edges. This prompted a major change of plans. I had the Modelbrass PE with the vent pieces, but had planned to use them on the next build, this one being a learning boat. Taking a deep breath, I cut out the opening (It looked huge!) and test fitted the PE. It worked great! Based on this I cut out the stern section as well and with some serious fiddling, got it shaped and in. *Woosh!* I am just now starting to breath again.

A big thank you to Siara, Rokket,and Glen Cauley for all their inspiration and support.

And to my friend Dougie who has been a fountain of knowledge and kept me from making serious mistakes. (Up till now, anyway.)

Don

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #605 on: 03 Dec , 2009, 14:28 »
I must say im impressed by the speed of the delivery Don. I knew these guys from Poland were quick, but your Koki made it in record time.
Im glad you are happy with the service, and didnt find it dissapointing. I hate to recomend something, to find out, that person i recomend it to is not entirely satisfied. ;)
Goes to show the Big Eastern Giant isnt as scary as some people make it to be. :D

Don- open the plastic, orange cup on the bottom of the tube, and unscrew the orange pointy top.
Insert something ie. pencil, finger into the hollow bottom, and spread some paste onto the baking foil. Its esential to use something like alu foil for that, as this paste is quiet greesy.

Leave the paste in the room temperature for couple of minutes (remember to keep the paste in the fridge between work) and you good to go.

It doesnt take much of that stuff to join the parts, and it sinks almost without the buildup. Not much clean up required.
I recoment using the torch, instead of rod suplied with the Dremel.

Good luck Don. ;)

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #606 on: 04 Dec , 2009, 12:28 »
I must say im impressed by the speed of the delivery Don. I knew these guys from Poland were quick, but your Koki made it in record time.
Im glad you are happy with the service, and didnt find it dissapointing. I hate to recomend something, to find out, that person i recomend it to is not entirely satisfied. ;)
Goes to show the Big Eastern Giant isnt as scary as some people make it to be. :D

Don- open the plastic, orange cup on the bottom of the tube, and unscrew the orange pointy top.
Insert something ie. pencil, finger into the hollow bottom, and spread some paste onto the baking foil. Its esential to use something like alu foil for that, as this paste is quiet greesy.

Leave the paste in the room temperature for couple of minutes (remember to keep the paste in the fridge between work) and you good to go.

It doesnt take much of that stuff to join the parts, and it sinks almost without the buildup. Not much clean up required.
I recoment using the torch, instead of rod suplied with the Dremel.

Good luck Don. ;)

Siara:

Thanks for the quick reply and helpful advice. Delivery time was indeed excellent. I forgot to mention that I had it shipped Air Priority, but the little additional cost was well worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And let's face it, if cost were a major factor there'd only be a few modelers around.

In the next week or so I will start to do some small soldering tasks just to get the feel for the product.

Sincere thanks is here tended for sharing your build with us. Following it here on the AMP Forum and on Subism has helped me enormously. I am a better modeler for knowing you.

All the best,

Don

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #607 on: 05 Dec , 2009, 05:07 »
Latest from the workshop:

Copper wire twisted for steel line, isolators from green stuff, and the wraparound tie from 1mm brass tubing. I think thats the right way to go about it- what do you all think?

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #608 on: 05 Dec , 2009, 08:20 »
Latest from the workshop:

Copper wire twisted for steel line, isolators from green stuff, and the wraparound tie from 1mm brass tubing. I think thats the right way to go about it- what do you all think?

Looks good, Siara. I assume you are molding the Green Stuff shapes by hand, right? If so are you having any problems with keeping the size consistant? Also, what do you use to make the grooves?

OBTW: For those of us among the great unwashed, what exactly is Green Stuff?

Mr.Mox

« Reply #609 on: 05 Dec , 2009, 15:45 »
Pretty much spot on, propably won

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #610 on: 05 Dec , 2009, 22:32 »
Excellent work as always Siara!
Don - thanks for the first hand info on koki, I appreciate it!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #611 on: 06 Dec , 2009, 06:17 »
Pretty much spot on, propably won

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #612 on: 06 Dec , 2009, 06:51 »
 :o :o :o

Siara you should have been a surgeon!

Amazing!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: 06 Dec , 2009, 11:10 »
Hi Siara,

Very nice - just like the real thing! Twisting the copper wire works really well.

Chhers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #614 on: 07 Dec , 2009, 14:19 »
I thought i had everything sussed, but looking at the pictures of rigging i came accross few shots of some kind of harness, which is attached to main rigging.

I have seen that thing around the groups of insulators, like bridge for the current possibly?

What exactly is that thing, and has anyone clearer picture, maybe diagram of it?
Is it possible that that harness is only clipped on when the boat is moored?
Theres really not much info online regarding rigging, and books are not much help either.

It would be great if i can get the clarification on this matter, for my benefit, and everyone who is mad enough to buy the U-Boot model. ;D
I realised all the boats online have simplified rigging, and id like to have go at making true replica.
I rely on your info ladds. ;)