Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 239888 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #555 on: 02 Nov , 2009, 23:17 »
Thanks for the review of Rustall, always wondered about it.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #556 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 00:49 »
Hello all, I may have found a solution to the uboat insulator problem.  Last night I was looking for material to build a block and tackle for the torpedo loading equipment I am building for the loading scene on my U3 build.  

While at a website called "Cornwall Model Boats", which sells fittings for wooden sailing ships among other things,  I found some small wooden blocks that are used by builders of wooden sailing ship models for rigging.  The firm I looked under was Amati.  They have several types of small wooden rigging blocks, the pictured one is the type I ordered and plan to try out.  It looks to be the right size (2mm long) and I think with a bit of sanding it can easily be made more oval in shape.  I will let you all know how it turns out.

Ernest  

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #557 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 10:28 »
Thanks for the review of Rustall, always wondered about it.

While it's on the pricey side I've been happy with the results over the years. Glad I could add something positive to this thread.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #558 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 10:50 »
Hello all, I may have found a solution to the uboat insulator problem.  Last night I was looking for material to build a block and tackle for the torpedo loading equipment I am building for the loading scene on my U3 build.  

While at a website called "Cornwall Model Boats", which sells fittings for wooden sailing ships among other things,  I found some small wooden blocks that are used by builders of wooden sailing ship models for rigging.  The firm I looked under was Amati.  They have several types of small wooden rigging blocks, the pictured one is the type I ordered and plan to try out.  It looks to be the right size (2mm long) and I think with a bit of sanding it can easily be made more oval in shape.  I will let you all know how it turns out.

Ernest  

Is this the same company that sold the Amati U-47 Resin hull Type VIIb (Which I had the misfortune to order) before Revell's kit came out? If so, I seem to remember Dougie trying to use the insulators in his Amati boat kit and not being too pleased with the results. (These things are incredibly small.) I will go dust off my old Amati kit and give the insulators -which I believe are wood- another look.

All that aside, keep us posted, Ernest. And thanks for sharing the information.

I suspect that some of us who don't possess Siara's micro modeling skills -and I fall into that group-may have to make a decision as to how much detail we can handle with pieces this small. When I built Revell's 1/125 scale boat I used drops of white glue applied with a toothpick and painted for insulators. They dried into round shapes but at that scale were nearly invisible.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #559 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 12:02 »
Hi Don,

yep it is the same company that puts out U-47.  Their wooden ships and fittings are far better quality then that poor effort.  I should receive the blocks in a few days and I will let everyone know if they work out.  I agree about Siara's skills, which are far, far better then mine.  Right now I am making turnbuckles for my Type IIa, and had to take a break after 2.5 hours of effort, which incluced much cursing under my breath! :D

Ernest 

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #560 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 15:40 »
Greif- this insulators are really nice. Please let us know how they turn out.

Don- i have never used this Rustal thing myself, but i know about it, as lot of modelers i know use it, and i heard much good reviews about it.

For rust i use the acrylic, layered painting, with salt technique, and to finish off i use pigments, and artistic oils where needed.
I received test batch of new product called "Euro Rdza Metal", and "Euro Rdza System" for rusting metal, and plastic parts respectively.
It is made by Euromodel Plus, and the first tests look promissing.

Btw: I have been testing some new things on the sentry box- please let me know if it looks convincing.
I thought adding the single salvaged plank would ad some extra detail to the box. 8)
Now i need to scrape some paint off, and do serious weathering.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #561 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 23:11 »
It looks mighty fine Siara
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #562 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 02:23 »
Siara, it looks pretty good to me!

I will be sure to let you know how the insulator idea turns out.

Ernest

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #563 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 08:49 »
Greif- this insulators are really nice. Please let us know how they turn out.

Don- i have never used this Rustal thing myself, but i know about it, as lot of modelers i know use it, and i heard much good reviews about it.

For rust i use the acrylic, layered painting, with salt technique, and to finish off i use pigments, and artistic oils where needed.
I received test batch of new product called "Euro Rdza Metal", and "Euro Rdza System" for rusting metal, and plastic parts respectively.
It is made by Euromodel Plus, and the first tests look promissing.

Btw: I have been testing some new things on the sentry box- please let me know if it looks convincing.
I thought adding the single salvaged plank would ad some extra detail to the box. 8)
Now i need to scrape some paint off, and do serious weathering.

The sentry box looks good so far. I'm anxious to see how the weathering turns out.

I did one in 1/125 scale for a diorama once, and I notice you have the correct little holes on the sides. Are those peep holes? My research for the sentry box is worth a laugh. I freeze framed the DVD of The Battle of Britian movie at a scene where the sentry box was shown. I must say the set designers had it right.

How will your sentry box be used?

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #564 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 09:01 »
Hi Don,

yep it is the same company that puts out U-47.  Their wooden ships and fittings are far better quality then that poor effort.  I should receive the blocks in a few days and I will let everyone know if they work out.  I agree about Siara's skills, which are far, far better then mine.  Right now I am making turnbuckles for my Type IIa, and had to take a break after 2.5 hours of effort, which incluced much cursing under my breath! :D

Ernest 

I had a similar experience, Ernest. Worked all day (10 hours) scratchbuilding front section of a pressure hull only to discover when complete and test fitted it was too big!

But we owe a debt of thanks to our friend, Siara. (I do, anyway) The next day on this thread I saw how he had built, detailed, painted and weathered a conning tower -which to me looked flawless- but he was not satisfied and started all over again.

His willingness to redo that which fell short of his expectations inspired me to start that hull over again, as well.  (It turned out okay, and was even better since it was my second go and I now had some experience under my belt.)

Don

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #565 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 15:32 »
Rokket & Greif- thanks guys! Much appreciated. ;)
Don- humble thank you sir. ;D
Im glad my work inspires you. Its always nice to hear.
How will your sentry box be used?

Im still on the crossroads regarding the overall layout, but at the moment i think it will look like so. Picture this:
In front of the sentry box will be the MP figure, to his right will be open barrier (scratch) on the cobblestone road with a bit of pavement (scratch).
I will build the rikshaw using Tamiya bicycle set, enhanced with Lion Roar PE. This will be driven by Polish rikshawman, with the german officer and his "new" girlfriend as passengers. I can drop the girlfriend, and use the drunk officer instead.

The street section will be lit by industrial lamp, mounted on the wooden street post(scratch).

Im gonna decide on the final set up, while i go along with the project. :P

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #566 on: 05 Nov , 2009, 12:09 »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #567 on: 05 Nov , 2009, 16:43 »
That will be a nice touch :)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #568 on: 05 Nov , 2009, 16:48 »

Yeah- i think it will look good, and unique. I may use this dio as the table lamp. ;-)

Some progress:

Now i will seal it with varnish, and get started with oils, and pigments.
Im having the blast with this little project- no rivet counting, no reference pictures- just pure modelling fun- brilliant.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #569 on: 06 Nov , 2009, 08:06 »

Yeah- i think it will look good, and unique. I may use this dio as the table lamp. ;-)

Some progress:

Now i will seal it with varnish, and get started with oils, and pigments.
Im having the blast with this little project- no rivet counting, no reference pictures- just pure modelling fun- brilliant.

Looking good. Keep sharing your progress.

Vis a vis your final comment, while working on a three year diorama project (The Kruppwerkes "glasshaus" U-boat construction site) I put the following reminder note over my worktable: This is supposed to be fun! It is still there. Helps to keep thing in perspective, you know.