Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 240033 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #525 on: 13 Oct , 2009, 05:24 »
Siara, That post is Sooo history! (get it?!) Naw, we won't cut stuff because you link to other forums. The point is to share and expand.

Don - please do tell us more, and post some photos, love to see.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #526 on: 13 Oct , 2009, 08:02 »
Siara:

With regards to your drawing, nicely done. I have done a lot of portrait work over the years, but still have an artist's love for figure work, which I consider among the most difficult to do.

So far as criticism goes I'll leave that to others. For me artwork is like modeling; so long as I enjoy what I've done that's enough. George Bernard Shaw once commented that a critic is "Someone who comes in after a battle and murders the wounded."

And also, in regard to modeling, it is, I think you will agree, a form of sculpture. The objects we shape have an aesthetic quality as much as a historical significance.

Wow! All this is getting pretty esoteric at 10:00am local time. And I'ne got some weld seams that are crying for attention. Stay well.

Don

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #527 on: 14 Oct , 2009, 01:44 »
Don- im eager to see your work.
Please post some images my friend.
 ;)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #528 on: 14 Oct , 2009, 09:56 »
All the other projects are on hold, and im slowly sarting the rigging.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #529 on: 14 Oct , 2009, 15:29 »
Added few blocks, and primed Chaos Black:

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #530 on: 16 Oct , 2009, 09:05 »
Siara, That post is Sooo history! (get it?!) Naw, we won't cut stuff because you link to other forums. The point is to share and expand.

Don - please do tell us more, and post some photos, love to see.

Rokket:

Thanks for your invitation and sorry about my delay in responding. (As John Lennon said, "Reality is what happens to us while we are making plans.")

As to photos of my build, two problems: first I'm working with what might be politely called an 'inexpensive' (read cheap) digital camera and close ups tend to be fuzzy. Secondly, being no great shakes at the computer stuff posting pictures still has me scratching my head.

If I can sort things out I'll put up a few shots.

In point-if-fact you (and I) have Siara to thank for my not getting a lot done on the boat. The truth is I spend more time here on the forum than I do building because I feel I am getting a master's class on how to build a U-boat.  My craft skills are far from you-know-who, but have improved markedly since coming here.

I owe a great debt of gratitude to Siara for sharing his remarkable talent with us.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #531 on: 17 Oct , 2009, 20:34 »
That's what it's all about! do keep us informed here, and I'm sure you'll get a few photos up - if you can do subs, you can do pix!

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #532 on: 21 Oct , 2009, 10:37 »
The last post by Siara on this forum was on October 14, seven days ago. I'm wondering if all is okay with him? Has anyone had any contact that explains his absence?

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #533 on: 21 Oct , 2009, 12:02 »
Actually i have posted yesterday. ;D
Im OK- no worries mate. I dont work constantly on the boat, as it could be dangerous to your nervous system. I rather space my work- that way i never get bored.
Im working on some other small projects inbetween to keep me sane.
Check my blog ;)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: 21 Oct , 2009, 13:52 »
Hi Siara,

Love the wood on the sentry box. What scale is it - 35th perhaps?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #535 on: 21 Oct , 2009, 14:11 »
Hi Siara,

Love the wood on the sentry box. What scale is it - 35th perhaps?

Cheers,
Dougie

Yes it is in 1/35 scale.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct , 2009, 14:47 by Siara »

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #536 on: 22 Oct , 2009, 09:31 »
Actually i have posted yesterday. ;D
Im OK- no worries mate.

Not worry, S, just mild concern. When one reaches my advanced age (72) it just seems natural to look out for friends.

I dont work constantly on the boat, as it could be dangerous to your nervous system. I rather space my work- that way I never get bored.

Makes sense. Truth be told, I'm amazed at your ability to balance modeling, job, family and friends, and still manage to get so much quality modelwork completed. I thought when I retired I'd have tons of time to model, but life's little necessities seem to intrude all too often pulling me away from the model room. Today, for example, is a beautiful sunny fall morning in midwestern USA and I need to get up on the roof for some much needed gutter repairs. But should that PE arrive today?  ::)

Im working on some other small projects inbetween to keep me sane.
Check my blog ;)

Sanity is in short supply among modelers, and hurrah for that. I think it's the lack of it (in a good way) that makes us all a little more interesting.

I visit the subism site along with your blog and this Forum. It's a real education for me.

Stay well, and happy modeling.

Don

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #537 on: 22 Oct , 2009, 16:58 »
Todays sanity medicine:

;)

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #538 on: 23 Oct , 2009, 09:03 »
Siara:

I need your help.

I am in the early stages of my build and while doing some hull work I sanded off some rivets. You mentioned somewhere back that you were using a Trumpeter rivet tool to do your boat.

Going to an online product source the picture of the tool makes me believe it produces indented rivets. However the pictures you posted look like raised rivets.

Can you clarify? Any help you may give will be greatly appreciated.

Don

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #539 on: 23 Oct , 2009, 19:24 »
For the side of the hull casing (I totally ripped it out to open the long slot), I rebuilt with veeeery thin sheet plastic, and used a pokey tool (think it was a nail punch, but anything pointy but not too sha) to poke or emboss rivets from behind. On the hull...tricky. You might have to go to the excellent Archer resin transfer, but they are $1 million.

Siara - love the sentry box, what's your weathered wood secret?