Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 240002 times)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #390 on: 23 Feb , 2009, 16:29 »
WOW!! I never imagined such detail! Well done! Will there be a gun crew?

Yes- Warrior 3 gun figures.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #391 on: 23 Feb , 2009, 20:18 »
Hi Siara

Here a view of U-552 that you may have not see before ;)

Purging the ballasts at the start of a dive on U-552
U-BOOTE CREWS: Daily Life, 1939 - 1945 by Jean Delize

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #392 on: 23 Feb , 2009, 20:32 »
and...

On U-552, clothes and salted meats were hung in all available spaces.
U-BOOTE CREWS: Daily Life, 1939 - 1945 by Jean Delize
« Last Edit: 23 Feb , 2009, 20:34 by NZSnowman »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #393 on: 23 Feb , 2009, 23:47 »
Nice find Simon! Thank you.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #394 on: 27 Feb , 2009, 00:37 »
You must be feeling pretty good, Siara! She's really a beauty!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #395 on: 27 Feb , 2009, 00:48 »
Thanks Rokket- your model was the inspiration. ;)

After studying the pictures time, and time again i spoted small part of the bow, that isnt shown on any plans i have, and never been replicated on the model before.
Heres few pics of the part, and quick mock up i created of how i see it. Does anyone know what that actualy is?
Is it part of the GHG, and if so- was it present on U-552?
Dougie- Blohm & Voss yard needs you. ;D

Thanks in advance.

Hi Siara

Did you have any luck workout what this is? Could it be something to do with the net cutter?

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #396 on: 27 Feb , 2009, 14:29 »
Thanks Rokket- im pleased with the result, but im still working on her- maybe i can make her look even better. ;)

Simon- i still dont know what the part is there for, but if you ever find out, please let me know. :D

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #397 on: 01 Mar , 2009, 05:39 »

TBC...

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #398 on: 01 Mar , 2009, 11:03 »
Suberb work as always my friend!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #399 on: 02 Mar , 2009, 01:04 »
are you suuuure you don't have a shrinking ray, and aren't just shrinking real stuff?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #400 on: 03 Mar , 2009, 17:12 »
 ;D

Im slowly getting to grips with the optics:

TBC...

warnster68

« Reply #401 on: 03 Mar , 2009, 17:37 »
Hi all,

New member at the request of Rokket....he said I'd find a lot of info on the AMP forum and after the past couple of days going trough the discussion groups he was not wrong.

My main modeling back ground has been 1/35 Germain artillery dioramas but I've always had a desire to build a U-Boat.  So, here goes.

Have purchased the Revel VIIC (5015 Kit) and am just waiting for the after market parts, PE, figures etc  to arrive.
My plan is to make a water level diorama of the U-552 (or 557....not sure yet....any real difference between the two?) with provisions and torpedoes being loaded at sea.

As I have 3 kids and a wife and work as a TV Commercial Producer, "ME" time to build this sucker will probably take over a year. YIKES.
If I don't reply to any of your questions or answers right away you now know why.

In viewing Rokket's utterly amazing 557 and seeing the masterful work Siara is doing on his 552 I'm hoping to learn as much as I can to make my VIIC a piece I'd be proud of.

I do have a few questions.....

Did 557 or 552 both have wood decks?

I purchased the the Czech Masters Winch for loading torpedoes at sea (CZN2007) but do also have need the Winch kit CZN2009) that mounts rigging to the conning tower?

Siara....just amazed at your work...your shrink ray works well.  How do you make the bolts that you show at the base of the periscope tower?

Secondly, what type of Koki paste are you using as there are several different types?
I've found a North American company that apparently sells the stuff...just have to call them with specifics.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing and reading more about your projects.

Warren.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #402 on: 04 Mar , 2009, 00:23 »
Hi and welcome warnster68!  I hope you continue to enjoy the forum.

To answer a couple of your questions:

Both U552 and U557 had wooden decks, the early war slotted versions.  "Nautilus Models" sells a very nice wooden deck for Revell kit 5015, the one you want is Model 72-501 if you are planning to use a wooden deck that is.

There were slight differences between U552 and U557.  Of course Wink and Siara are the experts there and will be able to give you alot of great information concerning the two.  Another excellent source of information is the "U-BOATS: Type VIIC Free-Flooding Vent Patterns" pamphlet by Dougie Martindale along with his equally excellent "U-BOATS: Kriegmarine U-Boat Colours & Markings".  Both can be found at the AMP Website under "Library" button.

The first CMK Torpedo Loading Winch is the one you want.  The setup is very much the same as the CZN2009, though there are some differences.  The instructions do a good job showing you how it should be displayed.  There are also several photos at various internet sites that show torpedos being loaded at sea.

I will see what I can dig up as far as links.  The Gallery right here has some great photos, so it is a good place to start.

Again, welcome!

Ernest 

Hi all,

New member at the request of Rokket....he said I'd find a lot of info on the AMP forum and after the past couple of days going trough the discussion groups he was not wrong.

My main modeling back ground has been 1/35 Germain artillery dioramas but I've always had a desire to build a U-Boat.  So, here goes.

Have purchased the Revel VIIC (5015 Kit) and am just waiting for the after market parts, PE, figures etc  to arrive.
My plan is to make a water level diorama of the U-552 (or 557....not sure yet....any real difference between the two?) with provisions and torpedoes being loaded at sea.

As I have 3 kids and a wife and work as a TV Commercial Producer, "ME" time to build this sucker will probably take over a year. YIKES.
If I don't reply to any of your questions or answers right away you now know why.

In viewing Rokket's utterly amazing 557 and seeing the masterful work Siara is doing on his 552 I'm hoping to learn as much as I can to make my VIIC a piece I'd be proud of.

I do have a few questions.....

Did 557 or 552 both have wood decks?

I purchased the the Czech Masters Winch for loading torpedoes at sea (CZN2007) but do also have need the Winch kit CZN2009) that mounts rigging to the conning tower?

Siara....just amazed at your work...your shrink ray works well.  How do you make the bolts that you show at the base of the periscope tower?

Secondly, what type of Koki paste are you using as there are several different types?
I've found a North American company that apparently sells the stuff...just have to call them with specifics.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing and reading more about your projects.

Warren.

warnster68

« Reply #403 on: 04 Mar , 2009, 11:42 »
Hi Greif, thanks for the welcome and reply to my quarries.

Wood Decks, perfect.  I'll order the deck. Thanks.

I'll check out the books you mentioned....I think I'm leaning towards the 552 (late war period) at the moment.

As for the Winch....I thought I only needed the one kit but the descriptions at Squadron didn't give that much detail.

Had a look at the U-Tube link Wink posted on the footage of a torpedo being loaded at sea.  Definitely not the way I will depict the scene in my dio.
Fun  to watch though.

Thanks for the help and yes, have spent many an hour pouring over the gallery and it's links.
There is some fantastic talent out there that is for sure.

Best regards,
Warren.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #404 on: 05 Mar , 2009, 01:53 »
Slowly, but surely...

TBC...