Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 240196 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #345 on: 06 Feb , 2009, 16:28 »
They are excellent figures and I'm sure you will paint them to perfection.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #346 on: 06 Feb , 2009, 17:32 »
Hello Siara,

I finally made it on this forum, and gee it is really impressive.

I can't wait to see these very nice figures painted. You got the right paints for sure, as I have painted quite a bit of soldiers with them (figurines were my main hobby for years).

I am certain that your figures will be up to the standard of the rest of your work, that is unbelievable!!!

Cheers

JL

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #347 on: 07 Feb , 2009, 15:15 »
Thanks guys. I read some tutorials about painting the figures, and im looking forward to the challenge. It should be fun. ;)

I have filled all the seams with highly dilluted Milliput, and sanded em smooth. Figures then were washed in warm, soary water, and istalled on the bottle tops. Delicate mist of Tamiya Primer, and left to cure in empty Ferrero chocolates box.

TBC...

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #348 on: 07 Feb , 2009, 15:32 »

Remembers me of the American science fiction television program in 1968
« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2009, 15:34 by NZSnowman »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #349 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 07:05 »
Good one Simon. ;D

After checking the figs at good light for all the imperfections, ive sprayed the flat black as base for painting.

TBC...

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 07:44 »
Hi Siara,

Fantastic to see your boat coming together nicely. I love the brown showing through the deck and the excellent rust streaks on the tower. In my opinion, the greatest difficulty in your U 552 project is getting your lower hull weathered accurately. I

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #351 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 08:17 »
Thanks Dougie- ive redone the waterline since.

It almost looks like on the pictures you provided, all i have to do to fade below the waterline more.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 08:19 »
Hello,

Wish I could remember where I got these images from. If anybody recognises them please could you post the links. The first set show a ship which has obviously been in the water for months. I'm NOT saying that U 552 should be anything like this at all. The VIICs were generally not at sea long enough (and had enough dry-docking opportunities) that they didn't end up as weathered as this. I'm posting them to show the different types of lower hull weathering when it gets to an advanced stage.

Rust and green slime -

The slime is not green on this part of the hull, it is lighter and yellower. Quite surprising as it is the same ship at the same time -

Note the hardened crud at the waterline. Also how the yellow does not extend all the way down to the very bottom of the hull -

This shot shows the same area as the photo above; the plantlife has been removed to show patches of rust and paint chipping -

Same ship, with no green/yellow slime on the underneath - 

More to come...

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 08:27 »
Hello,

More photos. Again these show much more weathering than U 552 would have had.

But again you can see the plantlife at the waterline. Lower down there are some patches of near white.

If a sub has been lying in port for ages the lower hull can get caked with plantlife -

U-boats wouldn't get like that. I'm posting the image to show plant colours and how it diminishes the farther down the hull one looks. Can you tell where the waterline is?!

Last lot to come.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 09:00 »
Hello Siara,

Last lot of photos. I took these at a few local marinas. I should point out that the water in these marinas was MUCH cleaner than the water in U-boat ports - hence no scumline. But they do show the colour of the minor plantlife at the waterline. The first two boats haven't been in the water for long -

This one shows dirt from the dirty water in the marina -

These two have been in the water for much longer -

I hope all these images are useful. But even with them it is still difficult to gauge what U 552 would have looked like below the waterline.

The scumline you've recently added is excellent. It correlates with U 552 at the time you are doing the boat. You could get away with a minor bit of plantlife at the bottom of the scumline. The lower hull might look a bit messier than yours is at the moment. I guess it might be hard for you to mess up your pristine looking model! You know the series of photos in Steve Wiper's VII pictorial showing U 99 in dry-dock? Parts of the U 99 lower hull are very patchy. Again, I'm not saying that your U 552 would have been as patchy as U 99 (U 99 may have been at sea longer). But a number of dry-dock shots (U 453 in U-Boot im Focus 3 is a good example) show U-boat lower hulls looking very patchy. Wish they were in colour!

I wish I could help you more with exactly what U 552 would have looked like below the waterline. To be entirely frank, I'm not sure myself - just doing what I can to help you and others. As I said earlier, I reckon this part of your U 552 is the most challenging. With your skills you can find out what parts looked like and just build them. But the lower hull weathering is, to many of us, a largely unanswered subject - and certainly a subjective one. At least you have a great degree of artictic licence here. :)

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #355 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 09:16 »
       Dougie..Thanks for your efforts, and for clearing up some of the previously mention subjects (scum and barnacles). It will be of good use later when i'm ready for that stage...I'm doing mine in drydock. Your explanations are not only useful to me but to others ....I'm sure..
                                                                                          Bill
« Last Edit: 08 Feb , 2009, 09:18 by billp51d »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 11:38 »
Hi Bill,

Very welcome. I know many are following Siara's build and will wonder about weathering their own lower hulls. I forgot two last photos. I shot these of a boat that was lying in a yard somewhere. It must have been in the water for a wee while to get caked with crud. The owner didn't apply a pressure hose to get rid of the crud when the boat came out the water...so I presume it would be harder to remove.

These shots (and some others I posted today) may not be of direct use to Siara's U 552 but I hope they can be of use to others who will follow in his footsteps.

Cheers from a snowy Scotland,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #357 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 13:05 »
Cheers from a snowy Scotland,

Dougie

Snowy Scotland sound better to me, than what we are getting down here in New Zealand at the moment. It only got to about +35
« Last Edit: 08 Feb , 2009, 13:10 by NZSnowman »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #358 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 14:31 »
Thanks Dougie for all the info, and fotos. I will use it to work further on the lower hull. I may use the hairspray technique, and salt technique to get the desired effect- it should be interesting. ;D

Taking advantage of my airbrush being loaded with flat black i sprayed the 20 mm gun.
Once dry i will use gunmetal pigments to finish it off.

TBC...

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #359 on: 09 Feb , 2009, 14:23 »
Hi Siara, the 2.0 cm is a real work of art.  Well done sir!

Ernest