Author Topic: My revel type ix u-boat  (Read 24537 times)

Senormodeler

My revel type ix u-boat
« on: 10 Jun , 2014, 00:09 »
Hey all,

I thought I would post a few pics of my build so far. I've painted the base coats and I'm beginning to weather.

The next few steps I'll take are to apply filters to the hull, do more rust washes on the tower, apply future and decals, then do more washes. It's a great kit.

Offline falo

• Admiral
Re: My revel type ix u-boat
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 07:09 »
Hi Senormodeler,

first of all, welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I like the painting especially the deck painting. Looking forward for more pictures to come.

Regards
Falo

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 07:30 »
Very, Very Well done Senormodeler!!
A very clean build: weathering is great and yes, the deck is very well rendered, especially the metal sections.The boat is very convincing (clever how you managed to do the flooding hole slats  8) ). Top marks, Congrats!!
« Last Edit: 10 Jun , 2014, 08:16 by SG »

Senormodeler

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 09:10 »
Thanks, Falo and SG. I've been following this forum for a while, studying all the VII builds. One of the biggest takeaways for me was  the use of artist oils  to make one's own filters and washes as an alternative to buying MIG or AK-interactive products. Not to take anything away from those filters/washes, but the results I'm getting from gamblin oils and odorless mineral spirits are really great. Especially on the deck.

Another quick pic with the deck:

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 10:58 »
Welcome Senormodeler

Liking the tower, whose photoetch have you used?

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Senormodeler

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 11:10 »
Kremin,
Thanks! The PE sets are the 3 sets that Eduard put out. I thought about going with Oto's PE deck, but I decided to just proceed without it. This was my first experience using PE so I made a ton of mistakes, including applying certain PE pieces way before I should have, and then subsequently knocking them off and losing them.

I also started off the build by attaching the vent hole PE grills directly to the the hull without drilling out the vents, and without trying to make the PE flush with the rest of the hull. Later, when I learned more, I went back and pulled some of those PE pieces off and cut out that area of the hull. Then I reapplied the PE and smoothed the edges with apoxie sculpt. Ugh.

Basically this is my second model since I was 12 years old. I'm 40 now. Really enjoying the hobby -- always new I would re enter that world.

S

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 14:39 »
Senormodeler,

liking the pre shading on the conning tower too.

I know what you mean regarding to pe parts: This awful noise when a very, very small pe part pinging away from your tweezer  ;-)

Regards
Falo

Senormodeler

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun , 2014, 23:03 »
Ha! Yup.

Re- preshading: I did some basic preshading on the tower as you saw. On the hull I did reverse preshading. On the upper hull I used a dark grey to preshaded the raised details. But on the lower hull, below the waterline I used a light grey to preshade. Since I was painting the lower hull Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau, I wanted the raised details to look lighter. As though they were fading a bit.

I read about this method in an article in FSM so I thought I would give it a shot. You can almost see the effect in this shot:

« Last Edit: 10 Jun , 2014, 23:06 by Senormodeler »

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun , 2014, 17:44 »
Beautiful boat, you should be very proud. Thanks for sharing, it is inspiring to see a type IX coming out of the slipway. 
Regards,
Brian

Senormodeler

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun , 2014, 21:29 »
Thanks, Brian! I'm really loving the build. I'm out of town at the moment, but when I get back my plan is to glue the deck to the hull, and then continue weathering the tower and the hull. I've never done any of this before so I'm just experimenting based on what I've learned from you guys on this site and some other sites. I'm not new to painting, but I've never done anything like this. It's really great.

Senormodeler

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun , 2014, 13:11 »
I'm gonna crew up my type ix with a couple of these guys.

I have no idea how to prime and paint them. Will have to research.

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun , 2014, 08:23 »
Excellent choice!!!
I'd suggest priming them with Krylon matte finish (http://www.krylon.com/products/matte-finish/), it grips on anything and better than any other primer. Here's an excellent review about it from an outstanding modeller: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154931
Either acrylics or enamels for painting them. It depends on what technique you're most  familiar  with.
Cheers!
SG
« Last Edit: 18 Jun , 2014, 01:59 by SG »

Senormodeler

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun , 2014, 06:44 »
Applied one of the AMP decals today. Using lots of microsol to get it to settle down. It still isn't settling down over the rivets like I want them to. Continuing to load on the microsol. Any suggestions?

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun , 2014, 16:12 »
Hi Senormodeler,

do you also use a the soft solution of Microsol? Please look at this Youtube clip. The guy explains decal setting with Microsol very well and he has also the rivet problem on the fuselage of the aircraft model.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jv89DU9c3E

Hope it works.

Regards
Falo

Senormodeler

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun , 2014, 18:40 »
Thanks falo! I'll take a look.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to weather this beast.