Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 110423 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 14:13 »
the only thing I'd put my finger on is the guiding-knob on the tail and the hinges for the vertical rudders. The knob should be pointed and the rudders are made in one piece.
Here are photos of the guiding knob on the tail (unpainted steel) and a close up of the vertical rudder.

Also, I noticed your hinge for the vertical rudder-transmission (see attached photo): The only place I have seen this is on the german post-war (ie Bundesmarine) DM11 (ex. G7a) torpedoes. I have no documentation to prove it, but my bet it's a post-war modification.

Natter, here are the updates that you suggested,

Thanks, Simon  :)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 15:35 »
How do those Pistols look like, Natter?
Not bad, but there are a few issues... I'm going on a vacation abroad in a couple of hours so I am not able to get you much info now. I have tons of close up photos though, so I will get back to this in a week or two.

Just three quick comments though: The pistol is made from brass, steel  and/ or aluminium - not bronze (as your colour might indicate). It was usually (as far as I know) painted light or dark grey.

The Pi3 differs from the Pi1 and 2 by a different housing and method of fastening (it was an italian pistol).

"Kurz" (short) is only marked on pistols with 100 (black) or 150m (red) armingdistance. 300m (blue) was marked "Lang"

Edit - I put together a zip with a couple of Pi1 photos: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38692668/Pistols.zip
(I'll find more when I'm back home again)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 15:38 »
Natter, here are the updates that you suggested
Yes, that's much better :)

However, you shouldn't loose the hinge for the rudder-transmission altogether...

See attached photos:

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #33 on: 04 Oct , 2012, 12:57 »
Natter, here are the updates that you suggested
Yes, that's much better :)

However, you shouldn't loose the hinge for the rudder-transmission altogether...

See attached photos:

Natter, hope you have a good trip away!

I do not realise there was a hinge for the rudder-transmission. It added now :)

Natter, looking at the two pictures in your last post, the leading edge of the forward fin look curve not straight (Red dot line). Is this normal?

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #34 on: 05 Oct , 2012, 13:05 »
Quote from: NZSnowman
Natter, hope you have a good trip away!
Thank you, it was (just got back home a couple of hours ago...).

Quote from: NZSnowman
I do not realise there was a hinge for the rudder-transmission. It added now :)
Natter, looking at the two pictures in your last post, the leading edge of the forward fin look curve not straight (Red dot line).
Yes, you are right. The leading edge is not curved though: It's angled down- and upwards to allow for movement of the arm (the top portion more angled than the lower). I don't know how much without measuring though.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #35 on: 05 Oct , 2012, 13:19 »
Glad that you had a good time away  :)

I only have a few days leave of winter here, then a few weeks of writing reports and parking up, and I finish another ski season :)

I was wondering about a couple of things, why did the Germans paint the pistol? Also, would they paint the fuse?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct , 2012, 00:57 »
Hi Natter

I am trying to work out the different between the Pi3 and the Pi1 & Pi2.

Does the Pi3 have a collar around the pistol?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct , 2012, 15:37 »
Hi Natter or SnakeDoc

Just want to check, did the G7e/T3, G7e/T4 Falke, G7es and the T11 all used the same propeller/propulsion/fins section as the G7e/T2?

Or were the small changes in the fins setup etc.. between each type? I had a look at a few photos of the T11 and it looks the same.

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #38 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 13:46 »
Hi Natter or SnakeDoc

The different between the G7e/T3 Fat II & the G7e/T3a Fat II and the G7e/T3.

I noted that there a screw mark

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #39 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 10:51 »
Hi
Sorry for a long delay: I have been away a lot + have had some computer-problems keeping me both offline alltogether, and unable to log on here.
I was wondering about a couple of things, why did the Germans paint the pistol? Also, would they paint the fuse?
I'm not sure why they painted the pistol, but I assume it was for corrosion-protection and/ or to avoid glare and possible aid for the target to spot the torpedo in the water (running at 2m depth it would be very easy to see unless the colour blended with the sea).

I'm not sure what you mean by "fuze" in this context?

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #40 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 10:59 »
I am trying to work out the different between the Pi3 and the Pi1 & Pi2.
Does the Pi3 have a collar around the pistol?
Pi1 is a mechanical only (ie impact) pistol. Pi2 and Pi3 is a combined mechanical and magnetic pistol. Here is a link to the US Mine-disposal manual from 1945, where you'll find photo/drawings and descriptions (check chapter 3):
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/minedisposal/index.htm#part4

I have more info, but have a look there first - I guess you'll find your answers :-)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #41 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 11:04 »
Just want to check, did the G7e/T3, G7e/T4 Falke, G7es and the T11 all used the same propeller/propulsion/fins section as the G7e/T2?

Or were the small changes in the fins setup etc.. between each type? I had a look at a few photos of the T11 and it looks the same.
I'm no expert on the G7e variants, but as far as I know, they all had the same aft- and tail section (of course, the internal devices like the gyroscope etc. could vary).

Note that the Lut-torpedoes did have expandable vertical rudders to avoid the torpedo rolling over in turns, thus getting off course ("ausschiebbaren vertikalflossen") - see attached photo.

I have some close-ups of these rudders as well (I need to search for them in my rather complex folder-structure though...)
« Last Edit: 30 Dec , 2012, 11:10 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #42 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 11:08 »
The different between the G7e/T3 Fat II & the G7e/T3a Fat II and the G7e/T3.

I noted that there a screw mark

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #43 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 18:09 »
Hi
Sorry for a long delay: I have been away a lot + have had some computer-problems keeping me both offline alltogether, and unable to log on here.
I'm not sure why they painted the pistol, but I assume it was for corrosion-protection and/ or to avoid glare and possible aid for the target to spot the torpedo in the water (running at 2m depth it would be very easy to see unless the colour blended with the sea).

I'm not sure what you mean by "fuze" in this context?

Hi Natter

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the information.

Pi1

« Last Edit: 30 Dec , 2012, 23:41 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 20:58 »

Early War
G7a T1, Ka, Pi1 Kurz
G7a T1, Ka, Pi1 Lang

Late War