Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 111372 times)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #60 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 07:30 »
Natter, below is a link to a PDF verson of the G7a drawings to download. You will be able to zoom in/out on the drawings.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3ug1zgdoqqxvfow
One issue: The torpedoes were somewhat differently configured when launched from a submarine or a surface-vessel (battleship/cruiser/destroyer/torpedoboat/S-boat) due to primary the different tubes. The external differences of interest to you, is the use of the "h

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #61 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 14:54 »
I imagine for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes that they used the same tail section as for Lut G7e torpedoes, and the only different being that the safety locking pin was kept in place for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes?
No. Different vertical fins (see attached photos of the "normal G7e fins). The expandable rudder is a sort of "sleeve" fitting outside the fixed rudder. The fixed rudder is also different, as it has the guiding slots for the pins in the expandable part.

Thanks for the photo's I will add the fixed rudders to my drawing this weedend :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #62 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 15:17 »
the only different being that the safety locking pin was kept in place for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes?
I'm not sure what you mean with "safety locking pin"? If you refer to the pin on the aft part of the rudder, this is a guiding pin for the expandable rudder (fits in a slot in the fixed rudder - same with the pin fastened to the pneumatic sylinder).

Looking at that photo's, was there a small piston that extend to keep the fins extended outward, is this correct?
Yes, this is a pneumatic cylinder controlled by the gyroscope, extending the rudder when the torpedo turns, to avoid the torpedo pitching and waving off course, due to the depthrudders becoming side-rudders vice versa).

Natter, how does this look below? I added a guiding pin/guide and the piston.

Also was the fin only extended while turning or was it extended the whole time?

« Last Edit: 03 Feb , 2013, 18:11 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #63 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 15:21 »
Looking through photos, I just now realized that the TXI torpedo preserved in UK is equipped with the expandable rudders. No photos of the TV torpedoes (wartime + U-505 collection) shows the same. Wether the TXI had a Lut-program as backup for the acoustic control I don't know (doesn't seem likely). I guess it's possible they decided to incorporate this as a measure to make the TXI more "agile" than the TV though, or perhaps the british simply used a standard aft-section in the restoration of the TXI.

Thanks for the information, I will try to remember to used the normal rudder fo this torpedo type :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #64 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 15:33 »
Natter, below is a link to a PDF verson of the G7a drawings to download. You will be able to zoom in/out on the drawings.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3ug1zgdoqqxvfow
One issue: The torpedoes were somewhat differently configured when launched from a submarine or a surface-vessel (battleship/cruiser/destroyer/torpedoboat/S-boat) due to primary the different tubes. The external differences of interest to you, is the use of the "h
« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2013, 15:42 by NZSnowman »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #65 on: 09 Mar , 2013, 06:01 »
Hi, I was reading one of the best christmas presents ever received and found some exotic torpedo warheads that u might find interesting. Picture was taken at the main Kriegsmarine torpedo storage tunnel in Brest. Am sure that many of you will like this unusual warhead painting scheme, just like i do!!   ;D   

« Last Edit: 09 Mar , 2013, 06:13 by SG »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #66 on: 09 Mar , 2013, 06:32 »
Interesting pic SG. A depot of some sort. Vertical rack storage, trolly transfer tracks - the arched door of a cement bunker entrance or transfer tunnel. Looks like practice warheads with the diamond patterns... It is just me but as a former ammunition handler, I get tweaky seeing the unprotected propellor blades of these torpedoes...
Christopher

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: 10 Mar , 2013, 05:53 »
Yepp, those unprotected propellers!! By the way, three more pics, same source.
The torpedo workshop as it was and as it is today
Cheers!

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #68 on: 10 Mar , 2013, 09:58 »
Hi,
Hi, I was reading one of the best christmas presents ever received and found some exotic torpedo warheads that u might find interesting.

What is the title of that book?

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:44 »
Maciek!
Book's title is "U-Boote! Brest" By Luc Braeuer, also author of "U-boote! Lorient" part 1 and 2 and "U-Boote! St Nazaire". Magnificent books, hundred of rarely- to never-seen pics, four must-have!
Cheers!   

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #70 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 15:40 »
Natter/Maciek

Most pictures of the T5 and T11 show them without the nose cap. Were these torpedoes fired with or without the nose cap?
« Last Edit: 12 Jul , 2013, 12:57 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #71 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 16:00 »
Maciek,

What was the conclusion with the late war Type VIIC

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: 01 May , 2013, 15:23 »
Hi Simon

Must pictures of the T5 and T11 show them without the nose cap. Were these torpedoes fired with or without the nose cap?

I don't know what you mean saying "nose cap".

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: 01 May , 2013, 15:26 »
What was the conclusion with the late war Type VIIC

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #74 on: 01 May , 2013, 16:22 »
Hi Simon

Must pictures of the T5 and T11 show them without the nose cap. Were these torpedoes fired with or without the nose cap?

I don't know what you mean saying "nose cap".

--
Regards
Maciek

The nose cap (it look like red Bakelite)?? which I believe was full with liquid??