Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 118237 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #195 on: 26 Dec , 2010, 13:08 »
Greetings,

I just finished an initial attempt at the two emergency buoy markers that appear on the decks of the pre-war Type VIIB boats.  Scratch built from cut down doll eyes and strip styrene with the light being a oblong shaped glass bead set into a styrene tube.  This image shows one of the buoy markers, still needs a bit of final work.  I am trying to figure out a way to do the wire guard that surrounds the light globe, but I might just let this go.  I have also been moving forward with the conning tower and other details and am rapidly approaching a point were I can share some photos.  In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:38 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #196 on: 26 Dec , 2010, 18:03 »
Hello!

Here are some images of the conning tower showing the preliminary paint and some details - still very much in progress, but the photos at least demonstrate where I am with the project.  As you can see, things appear a bit raw and unfinished in these progress photos, but will improve as further painting, washes, and sealers are applied.  Apologies for the mediocre photo quality, these were taken under poor indoor lighting conditions with flash. 

The first image shows the bronze eagle, which looks brighter than it actually is due to the camera flash reflection.

This photo shows the Schwarzgrau colour on the conning tower deck.  The red navigation light is a glass bead dry fitted just for the photo.

The white board under the ladder rungs is just a piece of paper that I quickly cut out to give an idea how the final item will appear.  I may try some other materials or perhaps a thinner paper.

Last photo for today gives a good look at the Schwarzgrau colour on the conning tower deck.

Thanks again for looking.  Your comments, queries, and suggestions are always welcome!

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:40 by Mr. Bill »

TRM

« Reply #197 on: 26 Dec , 2010, 19:11 »
Great work Bill!  Deck color looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing your weathering!

Cheers!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #198 on: 27 Dec , 2010, 00:54 »
nice detailing. the little things "sell" it
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #199 on: 28 Dec , 2010, 02:03 »
Simply outstanding work Bill.  Your attention to detail and scratchbuilding skills are first rate indeed.

Ernest

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #200 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 17:20 »
Hello and Happy New Year!

I just completed the life preservers for U-45 in the pre-war red finish with the flotilla and boat inscription in white.  Still need to apply a light spray of clear flat sealer.  Thanks for having a look, please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:41 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #201 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 17:41 »
A few images of the conning tower now about 99% completed.  Decals are from the AMP Type II set.  I applied a light black wash to bring out some details, but no weathering as my build is of U-45 on commissioning day when the boat was in near pristine condition.  Still need to fabricate the attachment straps for the life preservers and then fasten them to conning tower sides.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks for having a look.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:44 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #202 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 18:37 »
A few more snaps showing the inside of conning tower and a few taken with flash.  The periscope housing is dry fitted and not quite aligned correctly.  Thanks again for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:45 by Mr. Bill »

bracco_n

« Reply #203 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 19:49 »
Mr. Bill, I haven't been so stunned since I discovered Siara's U-552. Your boat looks awesome, almost real! The inscriptions on the life preservers are decals? Keep up this great build!

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #204 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 20:23 »
Beautiful work!

Karel

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #205 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 20:42 »
Hi Bill

The conning tower looks great!!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #206 on: 03 Jan , 2011, 20:49 »
Thanks for the kind words Everyone!

I made my own decals using Bel Decal Paper on my HP Inkjet printer.  This was the only way I could come up with to get acceptable results for the needed inscription.  I printed about a dozen images and used about half in getting the results you see.  They are very fragile and do not conform well to compound surfaces.  Also, I applied a very thin spray of clear sealer on the decal which resulted in several of them bleeding ink once in place which required me to start over.  This is the tricky part with the Bel Decal paper - too much sealer and the decal will look very thick once applied, too little sealer and the water may penetrate and run the ink.   A frustrating process to be sure, but I could not think of an alternative that would be easier.  After looking very carefully at the photos of U-45 I decided the inscription should read as follows:

U 45     7.U-Bootflotille     U 45

I do not know what the original font was so I matched it as best as I could, I think I used a microsoft font called "Frankenstein SF".  

Thanks again,

Bill

« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2011, 21:23 by Mr. Bill »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #207 on: 04 Jan , 2011, 02:55 »
the first picture in Your last post looks absolutely brilliant! like real life on a sunny day! perfect and impressiv...............

sincerely

ralf
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: 04 Jan , 2011, 14:08 »
Hi Bill,

Amazing work, the lifebelts in particular are great. Thanks for using the AMP decals, they look nice on such a good model. I love the top of the UZO being lighter - little details like this really add to the authenticity.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #209 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 00:01 »
Hi Bill, I agree with everyone's comments.  Breath taking work, both the modelling and the photography.  Respect!!

Ernest