Author Topic: U-2511  (Read 1542 times)

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
U-2511
« on: 04 Aug , 2014, 18:34 »
 :) Hi Guys!
I am starting to kick around an idea for my next project which is a 1/72 Type XXI from Oto Greza. Can anyone give me an educated quess on the basic colours of the U-2511. After seeing some pics of U-2511, my guess is it is alot lighter on the upper hull and Conning Tower than  the other Type XXI's around it.  Dunkelgrau 51 or maybe lighter?  I know with only B&W photos it is anyones guess> Any ideas or thoughts???
Thanks in Advance. 
Dan

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Re: U-2511
« Reply #1 on: 05 Aug , 2014, 05:12 »
Hi Dan

I'll be the first to stick their neck out.

The story goes that Korvkpt. Schnee flew over a submerged U-boat and saw the dark shape under the water. When he was given command of the U 2511 he decided that it should be painted lighter than the then current schemes.

Just as likely it was an extension of his emblem (the snowman) so the sail was painted white (or off white) the upper hull Hellgrau 50 and the lower hull Schiffbodenfarbe III. This seems to be the generally accepted colour scheme. But I have come across the attached photo, it is possible from this photo that the whole of the upper deck and sail were the same colour.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
Re: U-2511
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 18:38 »
 :) Hi Jon!
That is what I am thinking also. Thanks for you thoughts and the photo.  As I have said before, because of the quality of B&W photos and the absence of any colour photos we can only take an educated guess to the colour of a U-Boot.  I will go with the Heilgrau 50/ Schiffenborden Grau III scheme. I will continue to research as I am months away from paint on this new project. 
Thanks Again My Friend!
Dan